buying a 2yr old Used car

Options
laticsrblu
laticsrblu Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 27 August 2015 at 12:42PM in Motoring
We're thinking of buying a 2yr old Fiesta (the latest 3 cylinder 1.0L ecoboost variety) so popped into the local Ford dealer recently. He said that a top range (titanium, the one we're hoping to get) with low mileage (10k) would be coming in soon as the owner was buying a new one. The price he quoted was above that listed in Parkers price guide but I feel that we will have no room to negotiating a better price as he will easily sell it to someone else even though it's above the Parkers price.
Should we hang on for another 2yr old or go for this one?
The hew registrations come out soon and I would have thought that there would be a bit of a glut of 2yr old Fiesta's coming onto dealers forecourts around that time, as people trade in their old cars for new ones (not sure if the owner of the one the dealer mentioned is in this caregory) . and we will then have more of the upper hand in negotiating the price down. What do people think?

lrb

Comments

• ToriP
    ToriP Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Our second car is a Fiesta, owned from 22k on the clock to 89k now. Beautiful car for what it does. No harm in test-driving it, checking it over and putting in a reasonable offer to purchase. They can only say no. Salesman might agree as a bird in the hand...
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There are plenty of used Ford Fiestas. Look at the Ford Direct website and see how many more are available and what the typical price is.

Look at other large dealers websites to see what they have in stock.

Use this to negotiate. Never be swayed by anything a salesman says - especially "ones coming in and it won't hang around long". There are always cars coming onto the market.

I changed my car in July - I had been looking for the right car for 6 months.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Motoring’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Motorpoint have loads for sale about £10000. I must admit these small high output engines are good on paper but the longevity would concern me. Take the quoted mpg with a large pinch of salt too.
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    I must admit these small high output engines are good on paper but the longevity would concern me. Take the quoted mpg with a large pinch of salt too.

Probably more lengivity in the fiesta than focus or mondeo, just because it's a lighter car to be pulling.

If longevity is a concern would it be advisable to go for the lower bhp version. One would assume that the components are under less strain if being asked to produce 98 rather than 120. That's a lot to pull out of a small engine and from what I've seen, you CAN get extra power above and beyond what the engine is comfortably capable of, but that doesn't mean it's good for it long term.

I think that engine is still too new to be able to judge how reliable Ford made them.

You're right about MPG though, think it takes very specific driving style to get good mpg out of one of those small petrol engines.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport