PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Doorstep - a helpful and supportive thread in these tough times

fuddle
fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
edited 21 June 2013 at 5:32PM in Old style MoneySaving
414150.jpg2Q==2Q==

Welcome to The OS Doorstep - a helpful and supportive thread in these tough times.

Times are extremely tough at the moment, with the feeling that we're about to be squeezed further before it gets any better, here is a place to come to get advice and support from people living as OS as possible.

In years gone by the advice and support came in the form of a chat with your neighbour over a cup of tea on the doorstep. Many people on OS are trying to live as Old Style as possible in this, the modern world. There are a wealth of hints tips and supportive people on the tougher threads of old. It is interesting to see how the threads have evolved since Kitty started the very first thread some years ago, especially in how financial constraints are effecting other areas of life and living.

Comments

• ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    :j:j:j yay new thread!!! Thank you Fuddle and of course thanks to Kitty for the original idea that got all of us like minded folks together.

I have been out to check the elderberry bushes and they are not showing many flowers yet so must be a late season.

Just nipped to Mr A and not impressed, they seem to 'infer' that things are cheaper when in fact they have gone up by several pennies - can't quote any off the top of my head as it was full of children trying to get their mothers attention only to be sworn at or ignored :mad:
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Blimey I was hyperventilating then...thought we'd been canned! :rotfl:
    Love the new title Fuds onwards and upwards gals and boys.DS3 has just arrived home from his travels so any suggestions on how to cram a caseworth of washing into one machine load much appreciated!
    :D
  • bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks for the new thread fuddle - I love the title. if I start from the beginning I might have half a chance of following what is going on and try not to get pages and pages behind:D
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    D&DD wrote: »
    DS3 has just arrived home from his travels so any suggestions on how to cram a caseworth of washing into one machine load much appreciated!
    :D

Show the boy the machine and let him do it?:)
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yay superdooper new thread! I just tried to post a looong post on the old thread and it got lost with the thread being closed. That'll teach me!

I love the title - brilliant and well done! :T

Oh well will try again later, off to make dinner now

laters sq:)
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 642
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello, a lovely new thread :j

Many thanks for the warm welcomes back.

We had good news on the car front, it only cost £1.25 for a clip :j We gave the mechanic a few pounds but much cheaper than we were led to believe.

It's got quite nice and warm here, so don't really know what to do for dinner. Stocks are running very low, so it will probably be sausages but it seems too warm for gravy.

Best go and get a move on as I expect hubby will be hungry once he wakes up.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    found you! Phew!!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :T Wheee, a new home. Love the title, Fuddle, great pic. I feel a sudden urge to donkeystone the front step I don't have.

Been to work and came home again, that'll have to stop for a couple of days. Got a bit overtired last night and didn't sleep well, although another industrial grade firework set off inside the block didn't help matters.

What concerns us about the eedjits who have them is, do the have more? This is the second in about a week. And are they indoors and might they all go up at once? Polis have been involved this time, so who knows what will be going on.

Hello and welcome to Sweet Pea Cottage, newly emerged on the end of the last thread. So pleased that you have a lottie now and so close - mine is 1.25 miles away. Just a teeny tiny bit envious of that. And how lovely to have rescued a pooch as well. What flavour is s/he?

We have talking lurchers on here (well typing lurchers, terrible spelling tho) and other dogs have been known to contribute as well.

Well, suppose I should get the tea on. Too tired to cook but hungry, IYKWIM. Going to braise a chop in t'oven and have HG veg (from the freezer) to go with it.

Keep on keeping on, people, and keep those steps sparkling.;)

Hello and welcome back Peony, that's one of my favourite flowers. My Nan has the most gorgeous deep pink peony at the bottom of the garden path, right in the veg patch. No one knows how it got there but she's a beauty.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Sorry for confusing you all! Sorry about your post SQ :(

GQ, you're going to have to tell me what donkey stoning is now. :p
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    SeedsbyPost have lots of veg seeds at 50p
    End of season 50p vegetable seed offer. Stock Running Low

[FONT=&quot]beetroot.jpgWe have teamed up with Mr Fothergill seeds and put together a range of their top selling vegetable seeds. We can offer you this entire range at just 50p a pack. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now is the ideal time to stock up on those tried and trusted varieties of vegetables listed below while they are at this amazing price.

Broccoli (Sprouting) Early Purple R.R.P. £1.75 Now 50p
    Brussel Sprout Agincourt F1 R.R.P. £3.09 Now 50p
    Cabbage (Savoy) Savoy King F1 R.R.P. £2.99 Now 50p
    Carrot Early Nantes 5 R.R.P. £1.49 Now 50p
    Cauliflower Drakar F1 R.R.P. £2.49 Now 50p
    Chard Bright Lights R.R.P. £2.49 Now 50p
    Celery Green Sleeves R.R.P. £1.95 Now 50p
    Courgette All Green Bush R.R.P. £1.49 Now 50p
    Cucumber Marketmore 76 R.R.P £1.49 Now 50p
    Leek Musselburgh R.R.P. £1.75 Now 50p
    Lettuce Little Gem R.R.P. £1.49 Now 50p
    Parsnip Gladiator F1 R.R.P. £1.95 Now 50p