Welcome cottages - cancellations?

we had booked a weeks break at a cottage for the end of july through welcome cottages - with a deposit of £25.00 - and we have had to cancel now due to other commitments - we have been told that we will now have to pay £225.00 to cancel the holiday - as per the small print - and the usual deposit? the holiday was £650.00 and i think this is a little harsh as they have plenty of time to re-book it out - having talked to them they have said that if we dont pay this we will be taken to court - or we have to book another break and pay them another £51.00 admin fees to do so - ive explained i dont want to book something for next year and they said fine we will take you to court! im just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them and if they really do take you to court? things happen and i wouldnt of cancelled giving them 3 1/2 MONTHS NOTICE if i hadnt needed to - yes i could book again but i JUST WANT TO CANCEL ! arghhhh - so do i book for next year OR just think sod it - take me to court? thanks in advance

Comments

• JB1971
    JB1971 Posts: 25 Forumite
    It's pretty standard for the full deposit to become due (and I've just had a look at their terms and conditions and it is pretty watertight) - if it were me, I'd pay the admin fee to move the booking to a different date, rather than pay a further £225 for nothing! As Welcome is part of Hoseasons, I think that they may well issue court proceedings (big company, small court fee and t&c's on their side) and probably win. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    we once had to cancel with only a week or two notice and had to pay 90% of the full cost - it was due to a pet illness (cat, not insured).

we tried to claim on our a+l travel insurance but that didn't cover it either.

fotunately it was only a couple of hundred.

is your reason claimable on any insurance?

another tip is not to book so far in advance if u can - we only book about 4 weeks ahead (not peak anyway).
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    also, if you book now for next year you might be getting it at this years rates.

also, if you did rebook for next year, could you then cancel more in advance to save money?! just a thought
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    also, if you book now for next year you might be getting it at this years rates.

also, if you did rebook for next year, could you then cancel more in advance to save money?! just a thought

I would like to say if this is true thats amazing thinking from you. But it cant be can it ? haha :rotfl:
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport