energy company debt

hi im really hoping someone can give me some advice
i got a letter from pastdue credit solutions today concerning gas and electric provided by scottish power saying that i owe 1088.
very concerned as i had a pre-payment meter so i was paying as i used this credit company have also applied a 32 % charge why i dont know because this is the first letter ive had can anyone help or advise me as to what i do please

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    hi im really hoping someone can give me some advice
    i got a letter from pastdue credit solutions today concerning gas and electric provided by scottish power saying that i owe 1088.
    very concerned as i had a pre-payment meter so i was paying as i used this credit company have also applied a 32 % charge why i dont know because this is the first letter ive had can anyone help or advise me as to what i do please

Do you still have these PPMs from Scottish Power with the debt on them?
    If so, I suggest you contact the supplier and ask why someone else is also pursuing you for the debt.
  • ive had nothing from scottish power but cant understand why when i have paid for the gas and electric as ive used it i am due them money at the end of the day if didnt put money on the card and into meter i would have no electric or gas
  • redsaxon
    redsaxon Posts: 162 Forumite
    contact the energy supplier directly to clarify if you have an actual debt with them.Until the energy supplier confirms you actually owe them money ignore the debt collectors.
    :beer:
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Hi claretmagic if you e-mail your account details to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] we will look into this for you. Thanks David
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    It is also worth remembering these meters are also used to clawback past arrears - so ceasing to pay before the outstanding balance is cleared means at debt still exists as a percentage of the key recharge pays off the outstanding amount.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi claretmagic, thank you for your query regarding energy company debt
    It is not clear from your post if you have always had a prepayment meter or whether you have ever had arrears with your energy supplier (it is possibly it is from a previous address or from a joint account that has gone to a sole account so they could not add it as a debt onto the meter?). If you have always had a prepayment meter and they have not updated it when a tariff has increased as can be the case on older meters, there are rules and guidelines about how long they can back bill but without further information I cannot advise you fully and I would suggest you investigate further and then contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau which you can find at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure