PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent or buy?

Options
I have a very specific problem - my ex-partner hit 50 and ran off with a fake blonde, leaving me with half the proceeds of our house sale (and nothing else). My son is at university for the next couple of years, but needs and wants to have a home base in this area with me during the (very long) holidays. I was initially thinking of using most of the money I have to buy somewhere for both of us, and then moving again once he has finished uni and is able to move out. But house buying entails extra expenditure in terms of stamp duty etc. so I was wondering whether it would in any way make financial sense to rent somewhere for a few years, keeping a large part of my funds invested. Any ideas?

Comments

• TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    If it was I, I would buy - renting is just money thrown away - 2 years of renting has got to cost more than the buying and selling costs. Investments can go down as well as up (as can house prices, admittedly). Or buy somewhere you would like to stay.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think buying carries potentially a huge risk. You could easily spend more in purchase costs (survey, stamp duty, solicitor), maintenance costs and depending on the market, lost capital, than you'd ever spend on rent. And you may struggle to sell at the end of two years.

The days of buying being better than renting are long gone, especially over the short term.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    Short term rent, long term buy imo
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    If you know you'd be there three years, personally, I think buying would be cheaper. Will your son live in halls? If off-campus, typical rental contracts involve 10 months full rent, 2 months half rent. So it's only slightly cheaper for him to stay where his university is. Not everyone goes home for the summer, and if he takes part time work where he studies, he might make a circle of friends there.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ankerson wrote: »
    My son is at university for the next couple of years, but needs and wants to have a home base in this area with me during the (very long) holidays.

I was initially thinking of using most of the money I have to buy somewhere for both of us, and then moving again once he has finished uni and is able to move out.

He might 'want' to stay in the area where you now live but he doesn't 'need' it.

If you know where you would like to live in three years time, look there for something to buy.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Once he's finished Uni, will he never come and stay with you again?

Sounds to me like you'll still want a second bedroom.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Your son might get a job in a completely different part of the country and never come home again. Probably not a good idea to base your housing needs on what he is doing at the moment.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Your son might get a job in a completely different part of the country...
    ...which makes it more likely he'll come and stay occasionally.

If he gets a job locally, he'll simply move in for the duration.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just read a fraction of the nightmares on this board that tenants are subjected to, then ask yourself whether you prefer to rent or to buy. I am fairly sure any and all of them would give their eye teeth to have the choice to buy.

Good luck and remember you have your own life too, not just your son's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure