2»

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,683
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    boliston wrote: »
    I would have thought kilos per square cm would make more sense

I'm guessing that you are saying that in jest - but the numbers would be pretty much the same as 1 bar is equal to 1.01kg/cm2

The bar is a widely accepted unit - although most folks would be more familiar with the smaller sub-unit the millibar used in all our weather forecasts.

It would be pretty strange/confusing to hear the weather forecasters using psi. ;)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    boliston wrote: »
    I would have thought kilos per square cm would make more sense

No, a kilo is a unit of mass, not of force.

The appropriate measure would be Newtons per square metre, or Pascals.

1 bar = 100,000 N/m2 = 100,000 Pa
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,765
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Think I will go back to using my own compressor.

Are you sure that's any better callibrated than Sainsbury's?
  • barnaclebill
    barnaclebill Posts: 411
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Update, pressures were my fault, returned to Sainbury's to check gauge and all working ok so must have been my mistake. Thanks to all who pointed out this was the likely answer and sorry I found it so hard to accept.

As to some later posts, all of the ships I sailed on built after 2007 had gauges in Mpa with some lower pressure in Kpa so it could come into use here. I recall driving an old BMW that had an oil pressure gauge in pascals
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    If only this country could extract its collective head from its collective rectum, and actually finish the process of metrication that was originally timetabled to be completed over 40 years ago...
  • Iceweasel
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If only this country could extract its collective head from its collective rectum, and actually finish the process of metrication that was originally timetabled to be completed over 40 years ago...

I started my teaching career in 1970 - never once did I use any Imperial units in class.

But having said that I do believe that for the plumbing industry BSP (British Standard Pipe) measurements were adopted as an SI Metric? standard.

So for example a shower fitting from anywhere in Europe will fit in the UK. ;)
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,611
    Forumite
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I started my teaching career in 1970 - never once did I use any Imperial units in class.

But having said that I do believe that for the plumbing industry BSP (British Standard Pipe) measurements were adopted as an SI Metric? standard.
    Indeed it has. The pipe thread standards are:
    ISO 7
    ISO 288
    EN 10226
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Forumite
    Update, pressures were my fault, returned to Sainbury's to check gauge and all working ok so must have been my mistake. Thanks to all who pointed out this was the likely answer and sorry I found it so hard to accept.

As to some later posts, all of the ships I sailed on built after 2007 had gauges in Mpa with some lower pressure in Kpa so it could come into use here. I recall driving an old BMW that had an oil pressure gauge in pascals
    Good of you to come back and admit that, not many would've.
  • DarkShadow
    DarkShadow Posts: 180 Forumite
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    So for example a shower fitting from anywhere in Europe will fit in the UK. ;)

After the EU referendum, it will no longer fit. Atleast we got our whatever back.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
  • Iceweasel
    Forumite
    DarkShadow wrote: »
    After the EU referendum, it will no longer fit. Atleast we got our whatever back.

Yup - there is a guy in Gibraltar who is just itching to advertise the necessary adaptors on eBay. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure