PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• nipped into mr t on an errand ten minutes ago, got the following whoopsies,

2 x 4 childrens muller yugurts, 8p each origional price 1.58 each
    2 xlittle dish korma and rice, 23p each, origional price 2.29 each
    wedge of swede, reduced to 5p from 50p
    loaf of bread , 1.22 reduced to 12 p
    deli rolls (4), reduced from 76 p to 8p.

so total origional cost of £ 10.22 bought for 87p.

(i may have wasted 46 p as dd might not be impressed with the korma and although organic etc very pricy for a couple of tablespoons - thought she might like it as a snack - but she's just as happy with a banana and they are only 10 - 15 p each when not on whoopsie!)
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • Mr T came this evening and a spend of £33.75, will just need fruit, bread and milk next week
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - £214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - £100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - £2600/£3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
  • Two more spends for me this week a £9.29 and a £4.82

We've got the in-laws for tea tomorrow and mine for tea Friday so hopefully we'll get return invites soon

We've also got a food day at work tomorrow so had to get a few things for that
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    OMG Just did a quick menu plan and a MrT online shop for delivery on Friday. The total's come to over £100 but that includes enough meals right up to the 31st. A couple days ago I was feeling very confident but now I'm wondering if we'll just scrape through on target. Oh well, just have to see what gets delivered and once some of the offers have gone through it could be slightly less.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi folks! Another NSD for me. Have decided to put off shopping till Saturday as I have to be at work by 11 tomorrow and it is just too much of a rush. I have a bolognese sauce for tomorrow night and will defrost some prawns to do with jacket potatoes on Friday.

We had chicken breasts tonight cooked in honey and orange juice. The original recipe came from a student cookbook I bought for my DD2 but I can't remember which one. Anyway here's the recipe:

Moniker's Honey and Orange Chicken
    2 chicken breasts
    2tsp runny honey
    2tbsp orange juice

Wash the chicken breasts and cut off any fatty or stringy bits. Place in a shallow oven proof dish. Spread the honey over the chicken and pour over the orange juice. Cover with clingfilm and leave to marinade for at least a couple of hours in the fridge (overnight is even better). Remove the clingfilm and cover loosely with foil and cook in a moderate oven 180 C or gas mark 4 for 20-30 minutes depending of the thickness of the chicken - making sure that the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer. You may like to uncover for the last 5 minutes to brown a bit but don't over do it or the meat will dry out. I served this with creamy mash, steamed carrots and courgettes but any veg will go really. I think the book said if you were really lazy or hungry you could just wack it between two slices of bread for a really great sandwich!

DH really liked it and it was quick and easy to do. Enjoy!

Moniker
  • Managed another NSD that makes 9 this month which is the most I've had since last summer :T

Can't do it again tomorrow as we need milk and bread, plus some more fruit and salad stuff, but hope to keep it quite low.

I'll catch up with the posts since last night now.

Keep going everyone not long to the end of the month now ;)
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
  • I eneded up baking 2 loaves in the BM last night as I knew one just wouldn't be enough. For some reason they turned out better than normal. My conclusion being that I used hotter water and less yeast! A lesson for the future!
    We had our spag bog which I made with quorn last nigh-tastier today as its been soaking up the flavours in the fridge overnight/today. Went to Waitrose and stocked up on bread and I was very lucky getting 5 large warburtons for just 19p each and a couple of french sticks-wholemeal for 35p each. Also a largeish bag of spuds 2..5kg I thin reduced-reds-they are very nice I think. A few other bitsnbobs also reduced and a nice Raymond Blanc cake for 1.09 instead of 2.99. Spent just over £13 all together-will update sig later. Took HM sarnies(doorsteps)into work as planned. May have a frozen meal from the freezer tomorrow if Im working long enough. Trying to make the restof the money last the next 10 days. Having some pork chops from the freezer tomoro night with either baked pots or some of the reds sliced and boiiled-skins on. Ive got some petits pois in the freezer to add to it-I am rather fussy about my peas! Rarely bother with pudds-fill up on main course instead.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • SilverCo
    SilverCo Posts: 160 Forumite
    Hi everyone :hello:

Will be another NSD for me (two in a row - woohoo!) as still stuck at home with bloomin' painful shoulder! Dinner last night was courtesy of my lovely mother who took pity on us as DH was working late and I couldn't move! :T

Got a pleasant surprise in the post yesterday morning, I had sent off for a £5 cash back offer before Christmas after buying a de-humidifier. Had forgotten all about it until now, but the company were good to their word and sent the money. Couldn't believe they sent a £5 note in the post, but I'm not complaining! :D Now how to spend/save the money...

Have a good day everyone! ;)

Silver x
    1st LBM :idea: 21.12.09 Total Debt - £21049.95.
    Final LBM :idea: 16.8.13 Total Debt - £16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts! :D
    :A SPC Member #1182 :A
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Im just back on the thread after about 6 mths absence due to illness. I love this callenge as it keeps me focussed on what I have in my cupboard/freezer an stops me buying willy nilly! I've got back in to baking/cooking so Ive got a good stash of HM goodies in freezer - feel very virtuous!
    Just back from Asda, was £3 over weekly budget but not too worried as that included a 5kg bag of Bakers dog food for the "master of our house". Over all Im still £30 under for the month so very happy. Have planned out next weeks dinners so other than milk and f&v we should be ok. Am putting any savings on a Christmas Savings Card at Asda, as I'm determined to have some dosh saved for the end of the year and not be caught short -;)
    Mainly I popped on to say thanks to you all for your inspiring posts - your stories and tips are great!

Have a lovely day everyone x

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    laurasavon wrote: »
    We've got the in-laws for tea tomorrow ....
    We're having curry :D
    Sorry :o I just couldn't resist....
    Spending sort of OK; need to update my remainders pot but I've got things like dried pulses & some good offers for things we don't have unless it IS on offer.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family