Tax expenses - entertaining clients?

Options
Hi all,

I'm self employed, and I received my tax return forms through recently.

One part says (on page SEFN 5) about business expenses, and says "Some expenses are not allowable for tax purposes, for example, entertaining clients, even if such entertainment directly led to new business".

I'm confused, i thought it was ok to take your clients out to lunch etc?

Theres a list of allowable expenses, and disallowable ones. Entertaing appears in the disallowable one.

Can someone please enlighten me, as nearly every self-employed/small business owner has told me that it's ok to do this now and again.

Cheers,

Chris.

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Entertainment expenses are not allowable for businesses and must be added back in income tax returns. Your friends may well put this expense through their accounts, but if they looked at the tax computations they should find them disallowed.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • IanCun
    IanCun Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    While taking potential customers or suppliers out for lunch may be necessary for you to win new sales etc, tax law says such expenses are disallowable. You can claim deductions for entertaining employees, but you need to be careful that they are not personally taxed on these costs.

Here's a list of some common tax deductions (where I got the above quote from), but also check the HMRC website as they have some good info on there. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure