EE > O2 now back to EE?

buckman
buckman Posts: 264 Forumite
I have just switched to O2 from EE.

On EE, the 3G and 4G plus Edge network, were all fine out and about, but the signal in my home was average and i was sent a booster box.

Even with the booster box the signal was patchy at home due to EE removing two masts in my area.

Now in the last couple of days i have switched to 02 and while the signal is better, the internet, out and about was shocking, and non existant!
When i need to go online to look at maps/directions/websites, all the general things that help when your out and about, the phone
just had no internet! I have heard that 02 has a weaker 3G network than others inc EE, but i think i used the web in my daily life more than
the standard phone calls.

..so I am thinking of going back to EE? I dont really want to jump from vodafone > EE >02 etc and try them all as you never know the outcome really,
(even with coverage checkers) until you sign up and the provider is on your phone!

So i only switched 3 days ago so think im still in the 14 day probationary period, and i need to keep my number.

Is this possible to go back?

Comments

• afzaal1988
    afzaal1988 Posts: 285 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    why don't you get free pay as you go sim cards or even if you have to pay it wont be more than £1 and find out which network has best coverage.

I can't tell you if you can cancel your contract within 14 days. but i m sure somebody else here will be able to tell you.
  • buckman
    Thanks, can I use pay as you go SIM cards within my iPhone 5C 32Gb?

Do i need it unlocking or something?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If bought SIM-free, iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM you insert.
    They'll otherwise be locked to the network who provided it-you didn't say who.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • joeluken
    joeluken Posts: 182 Forumite
    buckman wrote: »
    Thanks, can I use pay as you go SIM cards within my iPhone 5C 32Gb?

Do i need it unlocking or something?

Where was iPhone 5C originally purchased ?

iPhone purchased from Apple without a sim are unlocked and remain unlocked.

iPhone purchased from some re-sellers as sim free such as Carphonewarhouse lock to the network of the first sim used so will require unlocking to us a different network (usually)

Some resellers i.e. giffgaff offer unlocked iPhones and Three also unlock iphones for free if purchased from them or already locked to the Three network.

I purchased from Apple and use a sim only plan from Three.
  • bgty
    bgty Posts: 8 Forumite
    I have found O2 to be an improvement over 3. It all depends how close you are to a mast. Also, I chose O2 because their 4G network is all 800MHz which penetrates walls well. This is handy because I work in a hospital so only the strongest mobile signals can get in, other networks were strong outside but the signal would drop inside. That is something that is also worth paying attention to.
  • joeluken
    joeluken Posts: 182 Forumite
    bgty wrote: »
    I have found O2 to be an improvement over 3. It all depends how close you are to a mast. Also, I chose O2 because their 4G network is all 800MHz which penetrates walls well. This is handy because I work in a hospital so only the strongest mobile signals can get in, other networks were strong outside but the signal would drop inside. That is something that is also worth paying attention to.

Will be interesting to see how things develop when Three starts deploy its 800MHz spectrum in addition to 1800Mhz. My concern with 02 is it has the smallest amount of 4G spectrum of all the UK networks but potentially a lot of existing customer that may choose to migrate to 4G plus MVNO Tesco Mobile, Lyca, giffgaff etc also offering its 4G spectrum.
  • pd52
    pd52 Posts: 514 Forumite
    O2 3G coverage where i live is non existant, i left O2 in 2010 after having 2 x 24 month contracts and always being promised 3G coverage 'soon' its now half way thru 2014 and still no 3G signal. In general I find O2 very poor, its so expensive and yet so crap. I moved to tmobile 4 years and im so pleased, rural 3g is excellent. I dont have great signal at home and also have a signal box i plug in to broadband and its great. Im not sure why your getting poor signal at home with a signal box ??
  • buckman
    bgty wrote: »

Thanks for this but I was on EE and then moved to O2 :)

My phone came from EE but they unlocked it so it can be run on 02 and I put in an o2 Sim. Does this mean its now unlocked to any PAYG sims?
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    macman wrote: »
    If bought SIM-free, iPhones lock to the network of the first SIM you insert.
    They'll otherwise be locked to the network who provided it-you didn't say who.
    Not true. SIM-free iPhones are not SIM-locked and do never become SIM-locked. One exception is those supplied by the Carphone Warehouse who use the same stock of iPhones for SIM-free and network-subsidised. All the Carphone Warehouse's iPhones become SIM-locked to the network of the first SIM card.
  • bgty
    bgty Posts: 8 Forumite
    joeluken wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how things develop when Three starts deploy its 800MHz spectrum in addition to 1800Mhz. My concern with 02 is it has the smallest amount of 4G spectrum of all the UK networks but potentially a lot of existing customer that may choose to migrate to 4G plus MVNO Tesco Mobile, Lyca, giffgaff etc also offering its 4G spectrum.

Unfortunately 3 lack any meaningful 2G coverage. All their calls are on 3G at 2100mhz, so even if they sort out the 4G side with 800MHz this aspect will still be an issue for some.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure