Friday 27th May - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important:money:

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all :hello:
    Busy day and weekend ahead. Just time for a quick check in before I make a start for the day. Hope everyone is doing ok.
    Here's today's list:
    :cheesy: check banking and PAD
    :cheesy: get kids to school
    :cheesy: get dh to hospital appointment
    :cheesy: get to work for 1230
    :cheesy: get dd to cheer and gymnastics later
    :cheesy: lsd (hospital parking)
    :cheesy: be doubly kind to dh today as it's his birthday
    :cheesy: try and find sometime for myself later tonight
    Have a good day everyone :D
  • SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning all :)

Yesterdays list;
    - Take lunch and snack into work - Done
    - Rack up another NSD - Done
    - Make soup - Ran out of time
    - Hoover the house - As above
    - Book a service for my car - Done
    - Check banks and YNAB - Done
    - Update my diary - Done

Todays list;
    - Take breakfast and lunch into work
    - Another NSD
    - Make soup
    - Hoover house
    - Get some exercise
    - Mow lawn if dry

Have a terrific day people :)
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

CCL - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Well the sun is trying hard to push through, tickets arrived yesterday and both DS & DH were dancing round the house last night :rotfl: am so thankful that being debt free (and mortgage free) and living a DFW life means that we can have trips like this without worrying (we also have a fab holiday to look forward to in August too) so thank you to all that contribute to this great thread - there is always something new to learn. Today I will:

Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Post Office -
    Bump couple of bits for sale -
    Clear Dining Table (again)
    Find coolbag and ice blocks for drive down tomorrow -
    DH & DS to go for haircut -
    Pack for this weekend -
    Read -
    Continue purge on Emails -
    Complete a few surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 5 chances to win -
    Check Lucky Phone/Ashleigh/Numberplatelotto -

Have a good day! Love to you all!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• make_the_change
    make_the_change Posts: 430 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2016 at 2:54PM
    Options
    Hi All,

Went to bed at 9pm again last night and feel so much better today for it. Much needed sleep!

- school run done
    - attend DS1s end of term assembly done
    - pop to mums and have lunch before the nursery run with DD done
    - surveys done
    - school run
    - chilled afternoon

Pretty rubbish list!

Bit of a query. DS1 gets certificates in assembly for 100% attendance. He has never missed a day for nearly two years now :j:j however he didnt receive one today. I queried it with the school and because he was sent home before PM registration, its a mark on his file and completly ruins his record. I am gutted for him to say the least. He was sent home for vomiting but as I said the other day, if children put food near him or he runs around soon after eating, he can be sick. I even notified the school of this when I filled his registration. I didnt want him missing education because of an event which took place, where he was fit and healthy to stay. I feel like writing to the school because he is devastated, as am I. Two whole school years and always attended. x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make the Change im sorry you are upset. Its a funny one these certificates. The school are the first one to ask parents not to send ill children to school. And rightly so. So surely that attitude negates the whole attendance argument anyway?
    Would they rather have kids at school with nits, worms, D and V and the multitude other reasons for taking valid time off or an infectious kid with 100% record?
    I bet the teachers themselves completely see it that way.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • make_the_change
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Make the Change im sorry you are upset. Its a funny one these certificates. The school are the first one to ask parents not to send ill children to school. And rightly so. So surely that attitude negates the whole attendance argument anyway?
    Would they rather have kids at school with nits, worms, D and V and the multitude other reasons for taking valid time off or an infectious kid with 100% record?
    I bet the teachers themselves completely see it that way.

Its frustrating because he has attended school everyday since he started reception and he is now year one. Has never not gone to school. There have been a handful of occasions where he has been sent home and only one of those he was legitimately unwell (self inflicted, he ate the contents of an ice pack - dont ask) :eek::eek: The rest have been where he has responded to meal incidents of people putting food near him and subsequently been sick. I just feel completely upset for him. x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • make_the_change
    Options
    lego_mum wrote: »
    MTC, I'm sorry to hear that your ds is upset. I would say he's been very lucky not to have missed a day of school so far, there will come a time were he can't go due to an illness etc so I wouldn't worry about it. My ds1 has often received the 100% attendance for the term certificate were as ds2 has never had it as he always misses at least 1 registration a term which his out patients appointments at the hospital. In a weeks time you will both probably forgotten about it like my ds2 does x

I know what you mean. Its just hard as the end of next term will be the usual assembly and they will issue certificates for those with 100% that half term and then a special one for anyone who has never missed a day for the whole school year. He was one of 6 children last year to receive one out of 5 classes!! I know he will be sad about it, thats all. x
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Gladioli
    Gladioli Posts: 47 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This is a bit of a random one, however bear with me!

Today I didn't make lunch to bring into work, thinking just for once it would be ok as we are going away tonight and we had very little in the house ....

It has just cost me £4.35 for a roll and a drink.......
    :mad:
    I certainly will not be doing that again.

If I did that every day it would cost me nearly 22 per week, which be over £1k in a year.....
  • make_the_change
    Options
    Gladioli wrote: »
    This is a bit of a random one, however bear with me!

Today I didn't make lunch to bring into work, thinking just for once it would be ok as we are going away tonight and we had very little in the house ....

It has just cost me £4.35 for a roll and a drink.......
    :mad:
    I certainly will not be doing that again.

If I did that every day it would cost me nearly 22 per week, which be over £1k in a year.....

Expensive isnt it.

Ii often leave the house without eating on Saturdays when I take DD dancing and then get peckish. I opt for a £1 chicken mayo from the locals B00ts shop around the corner as I find it a joke when they can charge in excess of £3 for a sandwich :eek:
    DMP Started June 2016
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make the Change I undetstand it from his point of view but the whole concept of celebrating being at school 100% of the time actually seems unfair to me. Its natural for kids to get sick so praising the children who didnt get sick seems an odd practise. Far better for the children to get a certificate for being cheerful or well mannered or kind or any number of actual useful concepts...
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport