HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback

Options

Comments

• Holidaysafe_Representative
    Holidaysafe_Representative Posts: 108 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Moneybas, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly, I think it is important to note that I do not know the specific details of your case, as all claims are handled by our claims department. However, from the brief description you have given, I think I can provide some information which will hopefully answer your query.

Our policies clearly explain what we consider to be personal possessions and outline the maximum amount we will pay for lost, damaged or stolen items. We also break this amount down into sections which are clearly defined, for example electrical items, clothes and footwear. A bicycle does not fall under any of these descriptions, and is therefore not covered under the policy. Usually, the company that rents the bikes would require hirers to take out insurance with them to cover loss or damage.

In answer to your question, we do provide cover for items which are not on your person, all we ask is that you do not leave your personal possessions unattended (and we clearly define what we mean by ‘unattended’ in the policy wording,) unless they are in your locked holiday accommodation, and that you use a safe if one is available to secure your valuables, such as watches, cameras, money and passports.

Each claim is looked at individually by our claims team and is settled according to the terms and conditions of the policy wording. Once again I must stress that I do not know any further information than the description you have provided above.

I hope this has helped to explain the situation surrounding your post, however if you would like further information, we provide a detailed complaints procedure regarding claims on the last page of your policy wording.

Kind regards, Amber.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JPS29
    JPS29 Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    Options
    My experience with holidaysafe has been far from satisfactory.
    I have a genuine glaim with them where 4 people on a family holiday couldn't travel due to the mother of the group (my wife) having gastroenteritis.
    Filled out all forms as required. Rang to check receipt of forms and expressed the urgency in having the claim settles as would have liked to still take the family away during half term.
    Told not a problem, ring back before the 15 days is up and will be dealt with personally if not already paid.
    Then rang back only to be told file had been passed to another insurance company to process due to high workload.
    Rang these and again expressed my need to be paid out within the timeframe set out in the claims pack of 10-15 days.
    "if it fits the criteria we'll pay"
    No problem I thought.
    Provided further docs to support claim which delayed payment by two days, fair enough.
    In the claims forms you are sent it asks for bacs details for claims to be paid to speed up the payment procedure minimising cost and time.
    Rang up the insurance company that had been sent my file (foggtravelinsurance) only to be told it had been sent back to holidaysafe
    Rang holidaysafe who told me it had been approved and paid, thjs was on Friday. Great I thought can book a weekend away at least last minute....
    Oh no actually we've paid you by cheque.
    Not once had it ever been discussed paying by cheque. I asked could the cheque be cancelled and a bacs payment be made as per my claim form only to be told cheque had already left so they would need that back first.
    Cheque should have been here sat, no show
    Rang Mon told it would be here later that day at latest tomorrow (which is now today, Tuesday)
    Surprise surprise todays post has been and no cheque.
    Rang holidaysafe to be told "I don't know what to say"
    I replied that I know what to say, cancel the cheque, make a bacs payment like you said you would in the first case and provide good customer service.
    I've been told it will be passed to a manager who will call me "hopefully" today as they are busy.
    Terrible customer service and obvious tactics to delay a genuine claim being paid.
    From this experience cant say I would recommend them....
    Options
    Hi JPS29, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly I would like to apologise that you have not received the high standard of service that our Claims Department usually provides. I do not know the specific details of your case, as all claims are handled by our Claims Department; however, I have spoken to the Claims Manager this afternoon, who has told me that he has spoken to you today, and that an understanding has been reached. He will endeavour to settle this situation as quickly and smoothly as possible for you, and hopefully you will receive payment in the coming days.

Kind regards, Amber.

I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JPS29
    Options
    Hi Amber
    Thank you for your input.
    I did speak with one of your representatives today and was told that the cheque should be here tomorrow, not over the next coming days, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
    My choices were to wait for the cheque (given that I'm told it will be coming tomorrow I may aswel hold on another day) or let your colleague cancel the cheque, then when he receives confirmation from the bank the cheque cant be/hasn't been banked, he will issue a payment direct to bank which will take "a few days"
    Given my experiences so far I'm hoping the cheque just turns up tomorrow and at least then I'll have a definite date for cleared funds rather than have to wait for the people at your office to cancel, get confirmation, arrange bank payament, get authorisation etc etc as I could genuinely see it somehow taking a couple of weeks......
    I will report back tomorrow in the spirit of fairness rather than post and run.
  • JPS29
    Options
    I have spoken to the Claims Manager this afternoon, who has told me that he has spoken to you today, and that an understanding has been reached. He will endeavour to settle this situation as quickly and smoothly as possible for you

Kind regards, Amber.

Update as promised.
    I could have guessed as much, still no cheque.
    I have received post today that was sent yesterday from Birmingham.
    Received post yesterday that was sent Monday from London but not the cheque from holidaysafe which they claim was sent on Friday.
    Farcical now.
    Amber there was no understanding reached. My situation is one of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wait for a cheque which you claim you sent then wait 5 days for it to clear, or let you cancel the cheque and wait for confirmation that the cheque has been cancelled from the bank, then wait for you to re issue a payment by BACS.
    With the greatest respect your department has not proven itself to be the fastest or efficient at resolving things or communicating with each other as I have spoken to 5 different members of staff now none of whom seem to communicate with the other or I wouldn't be sat here now typing this. If I did choose to cancel the cheque I can imagine it taking another half dozen phone calls waiting for the bank to cancel, payment to be set up, someone to sign off, bacs run, manager to authorise, if you can see where im coming from

I have quoted you above as you say he wants to solve this as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    If that's the case brilliant. Cancel the cheque and issue a chaps/same day payment so I get the money as cleared funds same day.
    That's how to solve it as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    That would be customer service, not leaving me waiting wondering/hoping a cheque will turn up.
    I only used holidaysafe because it was mentioned on here, hopefully future users will view these type of threads and make an informed decision.....
  • youdidwhat
    Options
    I booked a family single trip premier plus 19th June 2013 for a holiday on 23rd July 2013. Declared all medical conditions. On 9th July 2013 my husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer obviously unexpected. I phoned the insurance company and advised them of this new condition. At no time did the operative advise me to cancel or indeed put anything in writing. He told me I could cancel or I could change the date of our holiday and to keep them informed. After an operation on the 12th July my husband was advised that he would be fit to travel. So still planning on going I called the insurance company on the 16th July. A surely lady operator advised me my husband would not be covered to travel for any eventuality... I was advised to look for alternative insurance for him and would be given a percentage of this policy back. She would put this in writing to me. Never did to date. However on the night of Friday 19th July my husband was admitted to hospital unexpectedly. Still in hospital and likely to be for some time I phoned on the Monday 22nd July to cancel the holiday. I was advised a claim form would be sent to me. It was not. On 30th July I again phoned for my claim form. It was emailed. I submitted my claim with all medical proof/doctors certificates etc etc together on the 5th August 2013. I received a letter yesterday and 80% of the holiday costs as I did not inform them of his medical condition on the 9th July in writing! If it is not bad enough that he has had one ball off now they appear to be taking the other one! I am not going to waste my time phoning them it has taken them nearly 5 weeks to get this far. I have contacted the Financial Ombudsmen as I know FACT they have a record of my telephone calls and DID NOT advise me to put it in writing. We submitted a genuine claim and we are suffering enough disruption/upset in our lives without the unnecessary stress that this has caused us. I do not have the strength to fight them personally as I am still trying to get my PPI to pay my mortgage but that's another story so I hope they do the decent thing and resolve this with the FO.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    youdidwhat wrote: »
    I booked a family single trip premier plus 19th June 2013 for a holiday on 23rd July 2013. Declared all medical conditions. On 9th July 2013 my husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer obviously unexpected. I phoned the insurance company and advised them of this new condition. At no time did the operative advise me to cancel or indeed put anything in writing. He told me I could cancel or I could change the date of our holiday and to keep them informed. After an operation on the 12th July my husband was advised that he would be fit to travel. So still planning on going I called the insurance company on the 16th July. A surely lady operator advised me my husband would not be covered to travel for any eventuality... I was advised to look for alternative insurance for him and would be given a percentage of this policy back. She would put this in writing to me. Never did to date. However on the night of Friday 19th July my husband was admitted to hospital unexpectedly. Still in hospital and likely to be for some time I phoned on the Monday 22nd July to cancel the holiday. I was advised a claim form would be sent to me. It was not. On 30th July I again phoned for my claim form. It was emailed. I submitted my claim with all medical proof/doctors certificates etc etc together on the 5th August 2013. I received a letter yesterday and 80% of the holiday costs as I did not inform them of his medical condition on the 9th July in writing! If it is not bad enough that he has had one ball off now they appear to be taking the other one! I am not going to waste my time phoning them it has taken them nearly 5 weeks to get this far. I have contacted the Financial Ombudsmen as I know FACT they have a record of my telephone calls and DID NOT advise me to put it in writing. We submitted a genuine claim and we are suffering enough disruption/upset in our lives without the unnecessary stress that this has caused us. I do not have the strength to fight them personally as I am still trying to get my PPI to pay my mortgage but that's another story so I hope they do the decent thing and resolve this with the FO.

It's not easy to follow your post but I'll try to give an answer.

If you take out a travel policy and subsequently develop a new condition. The Travel Insurer can either agree to cover the condition or they are obliged to pay the full cancellation costs of cancelling the holiday.

See case 07/05 http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/7/july-travel.htm

also http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/49/annual-travel-insurance.htm

You need to send a polite and concise "Official Complaint" to the Insurer (The address is in your policy under "Complaints"). They have eight weeks to properly investigate and report back to you. If you're not happy with their response you can then take the matter to the Ombudsman.

You can obtain a recording / transcript of any calls you've made to the Insurer along with other data on you by sending them a cheque for £10 and requesting a "Subject Access Report"
  • youdidwhat
    Options
    THANK YOU Dale Maily! :j Your advice was much appreciated :T
    Options
    JPS29 wrote: »
    Update as promised.
    I could have guessed as much, still no cheque.
    I have received post today that was sent yesterday from Birmingham.
    Received post yesterday that was sent Monday from London but not the cheque from holidaysafe which they claim was sent on Friday.
    Farcical now.
    Amber there was no understanding reached. My situation is one of being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Wait for a cheque which you claim you sent then wait 5 days for it to clear, or let you cancel the cheque and wait for confirmation that the cheque has been cancelled from the bank, then wait for you to re issue a payment by BACS.
    With the greatest respect your department has not proven itself to be the fastest or efficient at resolving things or communicating with each other as I have spoken to 5 different members of staff now none of whom seem to communicate with the other or I wouldn't be sat here now typing this. If I did choose to cancel the cheque I can imagine it taking another half dozen phone calls waiting for the bank to cancel, payment to be set up, someone to sign off, bacs run, manager to authorise, if you can see where im coming from

I have quoted you above as you say he wants to solve this as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    If that's the case brilliant. Cancel the cheque and issue a chaps/same day payment so I get the money as cleared funds same day.
    That's how to solve it as quickly and smoothly for ME.
    That would be customer service, not leaving me waiting wondering/hoping a cheque will turn up.
    I only used holidaysafe because it was mentioned on here, hopefully future users will view these type of threads and make an informed decision.....

Hi JPS29, I just wanted to post a quick courtesy message, following your last comments above.

I spoke to our Claims Manager yesterday afternoon, who assured me that payment left our offices and was sent to the bank account detailed on your payment instructions on the 5th September. He also assured me that he had personally spoken to you on Thursday to confirm that this transaction had taken place. Once again I would just like to apologise for any inconvenience caused in the last few weeks, and I hope that this matter has now been resolved for you.

Kind regards, Amber.
    Options
    youdidwhat wrote: »

Hi Youdidwhat, my name is Amber Howard and I am the Brand Manger for Holidaysafe. I am very sorry to hear that you have encountered a problem with your policy – we cannot discuss individual claims of a medical nature in an open forum, however if you could send your details to [EMAIL="Holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk"]Holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk[/EMAIL] we will investigate the circumstances of your claim and respond to you accordingly. Kind regards, Amber.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure