Overpay mortgage or other investment?

Options

Comments

• adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    as for pension, how much is your total pot worth? You could put some towards that too..

Basically nothing, about 5k as only been in it on full conts for 8 months. When the next opportunity arises, I will probably up my contributions (currently 8% and e'er 16%) which won't increase my e'ers cont but is at least doing something more tax efficient with my cash.
    If you emotionally feel better with chipping the mtg, put 100 a month into it. 500 into S&S isa, and the rest in your pension?

It isn't really emotionally better, it's more the feeling that I'd like the mortgage to end 5-10 years sooner than planned.

You can do more than one thing with the spare cash.

Totally agree, and I'm starting to get an idea of what to do now.
  • adonis10
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Does that put you on track for your retirement needs or still leave you short?

Are you married or have a partner? How is their provision compared to yours (remember you both get a personal allowance in retirement - so dont waste them).

It won't put me on track by a long shot as I have started so late.

Have a partner who is a teacher so her provision is in far better shape!
  • newuser78
    newuser78 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    How much mortgage loan do you have left? And how many years left?

There is a neat tool - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgages-vs-savings
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting quote on one of those links

Started making overpayments on my mortgage seven years ago. Saved £18,600 in interest and paid up eight years and three months early. So my ex-mortgage payment can now go towards a fantastic retirement pot.

Personally I'd have put the overpayments into the retirement pot rather than mortgage. Starting more retirement savings only when mortgage paid seems very late to me and misses out the benefits of compounding.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • adonis10
    Options
    newuser78 wrote: »
    How much mortgage loan do you have left? And how many years left?

There is a neat tool - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgages-vs-savings

Only took it out 2 months ago so about 24 years and 10 months! £149.6k left.
  • adonis10
    Options
    Opened a HL stocks and shares isa, now to decide between the multitude of funds to invest in! Minefield.
  • ern1984
    ern1984 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    unfortunately it happens often so they always win in the end the banks
  • adonis10
    edited 1 June 2017 at 11:47AM
    Options
    I thought I would revisit this as I am now in the month long window of opportunity to increase my workplace pension contributions. As I said before, it is currently 8% e'ee and 16% e'er and this the max the e'er will contribute.

My current monthly budget leaves £700 for savings and investments so I feel that I could comfortably up my pension contribution given the level of cash I have at present (obviously not a fortune but not really worth topping up at the expense of pension/s&s isa). I am also paying £120/month off interest free debt which should be clear in 12 months so I figure I can afford more as when this is done that will be another £120 to save/invest. I have played with the numbers on a salary calculator website and going up by 4% adds £107 to my pot whilst my net pay only goes down by £63. I could probably go up by 8% which would bring my net down by £128 (£214 into pot) and when the debt is paid off my surplus will be back to what it is now, give or take a few quid. With 57k cash and 5k s&s, there is more than enough for an emergency fund and a holiday if we decide to have one this year, so I am struggling to see a downside to doubling my contributions.

FYI, pension is currently 12k and is the only one I have (almost 34 y/o) so I am playing a serious game of catch up which is why I am considering this.

Any thoughts?
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pension's are the most efficient way of saving from a tax point of view, however you've the issue of accessibility which I'm sure you know. You benefit from a good workplace scheme with employer contributions being much higher than average. Is your contributions via a salary sacrifice scheme? This is often a very good way to reduce your tax bill especially if you're a higher rate payer which i'm guessing you are.

With regards to over payment on mortgages: A lot of people usually advise to not over pay mortgages with the suggestion that you could get a better return elsewhere on your investment. While I agree you are likely to receive more than the 2.14% you'd save on the mortgage debt I don't think its as straight forward as that. For example. Mortgage rates may rise (once you're out of your fixed term) and investment values can fall suddenly. While you could save in a higher interest account and then look to overpay the mortgage at that point there's often rules on over payment allowances etc.
    I'm a fairly adventurous investor but I still think that its worth reducing the capital amount on a mortgage loan, to a degree, even if it doesn't immediately give the best return.

Given your current pension pot size I'd be wanting to prioritize this but make overpayments on the mortgage over and above your pension contributions.
  • adonis10
    Options
    Pension's are the most efficient way of saving from a tax point of view, however you've the issue of accessibility which I'm sure you know. You benefit from a good workplace scheme with employer contributions being much higher than average. Is your contributions via a salary sacrifice scheme? This is often a very good way to reduce your tax bill especially if you're a higher rate payer which i'm guessing you are.

Yes, the lack of accessibility is basically the only reason why I am hesitant to up the conts so much. Yes, salary sacrifice. I am not a higher rate taxpayer, unfortunately, as only earn 32k.
    With regards to over payment on mortgages: A lot of people usually advise to not over pay mortgages with the suggestion that you could get a better return elsewhere on your investment. While I agree you are likely to receive more than the 2.14% you'd save on the mortgage debt I don't think its as straight forward as that. For example. Mortgage rates may rise (once you're out of your fixed term) and investment values can fall suddenly. While you could save in a higher interest account and then look to overpay the mortgage at that point there's often rules on over payment allowances etc.
    I'm a fairly adventurous investor but I still think that its worth reducing the capital amount on a mortgage loan, to a degree, even if it doesn't immediately give the best return.

YOu make some valid points which I have considered - you're quite correct that in 4 years time when we have to remortgage rates may have doubled and we may wish we had overpaid by £200 for 48 months, which is why it is a difficult choice.
    Given your current pension pot size I'd be wanting to prioritize this but make overpayments on the mortgage over and above your pension contributions.

If you were me with such a low pension provision, what do you think you would go up to in % terms? In a way I feel I need to maximise the situation I am in as, for all I know, in 3-5 years I may be in a different job with a much less generous pension offering. I guess out of £700/month, using £100 of it to overpay isn't going to make a difference to my day to day life but will start to eat into what we owe, albeit by only a small amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure