Document legalisation signing by a Solicitor

Hi

I really need some basic info, please

I am applying for a foreign visa and they require details of my pension as a proof of income, this to be legalised.

I have a original letter from my pension provider giving these details.

But our FCO say it requires signing by a Solicitor. (does not need to be notarised)

They also say the solicitor "should state clearly what exactly it is
they are certifying in relation to the document."

I've been to several solicitors but none know what wording is appropriate.

Can you please advise what wording they are to use?

Thank you

Kevin J Edwards

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Never heard of anything like that for a visa. A solicitor couldn't possibly sign to say whether a pension provider's letter was accurate or not.

Are you sure they aren't just asking for a copy of the letter and they need the copy to be certified by a solicitor as being a true copy? They will do that happily.

BTW why do they want to know your income? Is it a long stay visa? And if it's for a foreign visa, how is it the FCO can tell you what's required?
  • Biggles wrote: »
    Never heard of anything like that for a visa. A solicitor couldn't possibly sign to say whether a pension provider's letter was accurate or not.

Are you sure they aren't just asking for a copy of the letter and they need the copy to be certified by a solicitor as being a true copy? They will do that happily.

BTW why do they want to know your income? Is it a long stay visa? And if it's for a foreign visa, how is it the FCO can tell you what's required?

I agree a solicitor cannot say if the info is accurate or not. But the FCO tell me the signatory of the letter is not on their database, so it needs to be signed by a solicitor.

They also say that when they legalise they are only saying the signature is genuine not any of the info.

No its an original, the FCO does state a copy has to be certified by a solicitor as being a true copy but gives no advice for an original - just to state what they are certifying. My thought would be to certify its an 'original document' but no idea if that's ok with our FCO

Yes the visa is a long stay/multiple entry for Russia, Russia not UK wants legalised letter of income it does not need to be UK notarised.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry, I'm still unclear how the FCO comes into this; you confirmed that it was Russia, not the UK, that required the letter.
  • mjan
    mjan Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I had to go through something similar with some documents I needed to legalise for a Portuguese birth certificate.
    I took the document to The Legalisation Office In Milton Keynes and they told me the same about it having to be signed by a solicitor and gave me a map with several solicitor offices in the ares that do walk ins. It was very simple, the solicitor signed it saying she was confirming the document was to be used for a Portuguese birth certificate and charged me £10. I took it back and they legalized it straight away.

Just ask a solicitor to write that the document is to be used towards a visa application and it should be enough for the Legalisation Office.

Good luck :)
  • Hi

Biggles only our FCO can legalise UK documents

As mjan says it is actually quite simple.

I did contact our FCO and ask about what wording they needed and was told that if the document is an original the solicitor doesn't actually need to write anything (this is not what they say on their web site) just sign (own name not company name) print they name under their signature and stamp/write their contact details.

We contacted a solicitor who wanted £90 for this!!! But we went to another who loved to travel and talked for over 1/2 about his travels and visa problems, etc in the end he signed it for FREE!! - Just proves always shop around.

The FCO have legalised it no problem just saying it was signed by a solicitor, hope this will now be ok for the visa.

Thanks

Kevin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family