PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh my god. What have i done. I've just discovered aprOved fOOds!!!!!
    I've just placed my first order totalling £13.51 (inc delivery). I've ordered.....
    24 tins of chicken soup
    24 tins of beans (small tins)
    6 tins of heinz big soup
    3 lge jars of hmpride chilli sauce
    3x5 packs of chewing gum
    2x12 mini boxes of raisins
    I'm quite pleased with that. Can you tell i'm stockpilling;)
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Well, I have had to do a mini shop as our weekend away had to be cancelled because of the weather! On the plus side I got today off work too. I normally work 2 pm till 9 pm but my library is closing early at 5pm and it wasn't worth me struggling in for 3 hours. We had lots of snow this morning and though some of it has melted now and the roads are slushy I think we have more expected overnight and tomorrow - so we will be doing a weekend away at home! I bought a few extras like bacon and sausages so I can do a "hotel" cooked breakfast, but we have a well stocked freezer so we will just eat out of that. I did succumb to a three for £10 wine offer in Sainsbury's but put the £5.60 saved into my Pin Money Savings purse so I am not tempted to spend it!

Hope you are all managing to keep warm - I'm planning a duvet day tomorrow!

Have updated my sig.

Moniker
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Afternoon all.

I am very late in joining this month. MrsM can you please put me down for £350 for Feb thank you.

Am off to read 25 pages now........
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • Just dropped in to update my signature.

Have turned over a new leaf this month it seems as my grocery spending is under much better control (so far!). I am finding that if it isn't in the house we have to eat something else. There is a load of meals in the freezer and I am determined to use the frozen veg up this month.

Our biggest expenditure is on fruit. We shop for special offers and buy basics where available but it is the quantity that the 2 of us get through that is the problem especially as were are both trying to lose a bit of weight.
    Annual GC £2500/£486.79 for 2 adults and 2 dogs
    Savings Target 2009 Lloyds Act £6000/£1200 Jars & pig for Christmas and holidays
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Well spent quite a bit today as me and OH had our usual thursday lunch out.Spent £16 on food and drinks, then another £4.50 on two packs of ham and puff pastry in Iceland.

Tried making my own pastry but failed miserably so ended up buying some.
    Hopefully won't need anymore ham for another two weeks, fingers crossed.Meals all messed up because of casserole so going to make another plan for next week. Boys found the organic raisins and dried fruit i bought yesterday so now they all gone. So prob need to buy some more but unsure yet.

Hope everyone else had a good day x
  • elsie52
    elsie52 Posts: 1,902 Forumite
    Hi everyone.

Budgeting is going quite well at the moment. Still have quite a few HM meals left in the freezer, and also still got the ingredients to make more for the rest of the month. Called in Mr S on the way home from work, for milk and bananas, but was naughty and bought 4 custard tarts for £1.09....still we are all allowed a treat now and then. Only spent £48 in total so far......hope it lasts.

Have a good day all.

June 2010 - 11/56 lbs Weight to lose before May 2011.

• redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    cw18 - please don't take this the wrong way, but surely your son being safe and well and able to come home for visits should far outweigh any extra grocery costs:confused:

My son is 8yrs and is insisting he is going to go into the army, something which I would be devastated if he did..however I would obviously support him as I would want him to be happy...Thankfully I have plenty of time to change his mind;)

Well back to the challenge - I spent £7.19 in the chemist, and £7.57 in little somerfields....thankfully most of it was actually needed, £2.50 I could have not spent but never mind. Total of £14.76 - off to update sig:)

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Wow!
    We've had a fab day today! I have found the one perk of being a teacher - the keys to the gates of the beautiful crisp clean playground!! Me, a friend and my 2 had so much fun running around, building snowmen and making snow angels! Something to remember for a long time.
    I didn't have an NSD today though, as I spent 90p in coop on some milk to go in our hot choc. We needed it to warm up and dry out! Still, i don't think that's bad, considering how much entertainment we've had today!
    I even managed to bake some biscuits for snacks and a loaf of bread; DD decided she wanted bacon sarnies for lunch, so I defrosted some from the freezer and she was happy. A great day, on all levels!
    Hope you've all had as much fun as I have - bring on the snow tonight!
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SOunds like a lovely day Penny :)

Nickynoo - I keep looking at the website, and now having gotten over my fear of sell by dates (!) I am finding there's actually nothing much I would order as a lot of it is junk stuff and we just don't eat it :( Wish they would put more healthy things on!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    cw18 - please don't take this the wrong way, but surely your son being safe and well and able to come home for visits should far outweigh any extra grocery costs:confused:
    Oh it does -- it's just his total lack of consideration over letting me know he's coming back that gets me riled !!
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport