PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

1st Time buyer - Source of funds checks

Good morning peeps,

I am in the process of buying a house, I've been accepted by a mortgage lender, have a £50k deposit and it is now with my conveyancing solicitor. I've sent in all the required ID's, 3 months bank & savings statements and its now at the stage where my solicitor is waiting for the vendor solicitor to send her the "contract pack", so I've literally been waiting the last 9 days and have heard nothing, yet. Would they have already done the bank statement/ deposit checks at this stage?

Maybe i am worrying over nothing...but i sold my car over a year ago for a large sum, £19k, it was in cash, it was my only ever car sale and i thought cash was the best, safest option, as i could physically see the money. I made the buyer sign a "purchase of sale" agreement form, he signed and dated it.
The solicitor has not mentioned anything about my bank statements yet, as i said the car sale was over a year ago but if they do want proof, will my purchase of sale form be enough?
Will i have to contact the buyer of my car and get him to prove he purchased it with cash? That would be super awkward, if so, as i do not know him and have not spoken to him since the sale...

What would happen if he (car buyer) doesn't supply me what the solicitor MAY requests...

I know its all hypothetical ifs and buts, however i just wants some advice to help me understand the process...

Thank you people.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If they only asked for 3 months of statements then that's all they'll be looking at. Any money you already had at the start of the statements will be presumed to be yours.
  • azza21
    azza21 Posts: 39 Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    If they only asked for 3 months of statements then that's all they'll be looking at. Any money you already had at the start of the statements will be presumed to be yours.

Ah ok, so i was basically worrying over nothing, regarding the car sale. At what stage do they the solicitors do the bank statement searches? as i said its been 9 days since i gave them the questionaire, ID's and statements and they are now waiting for the contract pack?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    azza21 wrote: »
    Ah ok, so i was basically worrying over nothing, regarding the car sale. At what stage do they the solicitors do the bank statement searches? as i said its been 9 days since i gave them the questionaire, ID's and statements and they are now waiting for the contract pack?

There's not going to be a standard answer to that. Could have looked at them immediately, could be waiting until a later stage (or just whenever they have time).
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    davidmcn wrote: »
    There's not going to be a standard answer to that. Could have looked at them immediately, could be waiting until a later stage (or just whenever they have time).
    When you receive paperwork from your solitor, you probably look at it straight away. He's your only solicitor and it's your only house purchase.

When he receives paperwork from you, he probably puts it in his in-tray to deal with in turn. He has multiple clients and it's not his only house purchase.
  • azza21
    azza21 Posts: 39 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    When you receive paperwork from your solitor, you probably look at it straight away. He's your only solicitor and it's your only house purchase.

When he receives paperwork from you, he probably puts it in his in-tray to deal with in turn. He has multiple clients and it's not his only house purchase.

Yes, it was all sent in via email about 9 days ago.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    azza21 wrote: »
    Yes, it was all sent in via email about 9 days ago.
    Errrrr..... I think you've missed my point!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure