PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dealing with deceased parents home

2»

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

The Scottish Government produces a general guide called "What to do after a death in Scotland" which you may find helpful.

Available here.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm very sorry for your loss.
    When you insure her house, check what the conditions are - they may require you to drain down the heating system and to confirm that someone will be checking on the house regularly.

Longer term, if your mum didn't leave a will, I *think* (but check with a solicitor or CAB) that you will be entitled to 50% of the estate, and the other half would go to your mum's dad and/or any siblings your mum)

If you are the one selling the house, speak to an estate agent about what to repair or remove. My guess would be that it will probably make sense to simply remove the washing machine .

With the boiler, replacing/repairing would likely make the property easier to sell, but it may not be practical if there is not enough money in the estate to cover the cost.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    Longer term, if your mum didn't leave a will, I *think* (but check with a solicitor or CAB) that you will be entitled to 50% of the estate, and the other half would go to your mum's dad and/or any siblings your mum)
    No, all to the children (assuming she didn't have a surviving spouse or civil partner).
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your starter for 10

"What to do after a death in Scotland"

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2016/11/6948/0

I'll come back with more later.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't rush into getting a solicitor, winding up someones estate is not particular difficult unless the estate is complicated, and solicitors will charge an arm and a leg for their services.

I concur. Back with more on getting yourself appointed as executor-dative later
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure