Which touch screen for a 70 year old?

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    SeeMe wrote: »
    Having been bought my first smartphone at xmas the younger family members are telling me to install whatsapp to make free calls and text to them.

As someone over 60 and used to using a candy bar phone with payg on three mobile are there any catches with whatsapp? i get accused of being a ludite at times and not very tech savy lol.
    I will install it if there are no catches/hidden charges.

no catches that I have found seeme I use it all the time. :)
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Nelski wrote: »
    no catches that I have found seeme I use it all the time. :)

Ok thanks.
    I will install it and give it a try, i can always remove it if its not suitable.
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Whatsapp calls aren't necessarily free - they use your wifi or mobile data. So if you're on pay as you go and make or take a whatsapp call or message when out and about you'll be paying.

If you're on a pay as you go bundle that includes data then as long as it covers the extra data you'll use through Whatsapp then you won't be paying any extra.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Please can we not automatically assume that 70 year olds are infirm and unable to use tech.

Many older people happily use smartphones, tablets and PCs.
    Some people find buttons easier to press, others lack the dexterity and find a, properly set up, touch screen device easier.

Some younger people will never manage to use a smartphone.

We should be helping people, regardless of age, find the product that suits them for their use and abilities.
  • As an older person I am a confident pc user but when my new smartphone rang I had no idea how to answer it.
    However I had no problems with my tablet which has wireless but does not make calls. So I suggest a tablet for facebook etc and an old fashioned phone for making calls.
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cookie365 wrote: »
    Whatsapp calls aren't necessarily free - they use your wifi or mobile data. So if you're on pay as you go and make or take a whatsapp call or message when out and about you'll be paying.

If you're on a pay as you go bundle that includes data then as long as it covers the extra data you'll use through Whatsapp then you won't be paying any extra.
    So as someone just topping up now and again on Three payg and not on a bundle, it will cost me if making calls on whatsapp, so there is a catch unless i see it wrong.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just ensure u are connected to wifi and all is free.
    Just had a 40 min chat with someone in OZ all free, also add skype.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SeeMe wrote: »
    So as someone just topping up now and again on Three payg and not on a bundle, it will cost me if making calls on whatsapp, so there is a catch unless i see it wrong.
    There's no 'catch', but perhaps your young family members should have explained how it works. WhatsApp uses the internet for calls and messages, unlike normal voice calls and texts through the mobile network itself.

Your phone can connect to the internet and enable use of WhatsApp either through its mobile data connection, which is relatively very cheap on Three PAYG at 1p/MB without buying a bundle, or through WiFi, such as your home WiFi if you have (?).

If you will be using your mobile data for WhatsApp it will incur a cost, but probably less than normal calls and text messages through the mobile network (which are certainly cheap enough on 3 PAYG).

WhatsApp messages use hardly any data, voice calls use more of course. You can check which way is cheaper, for example, by timing a WhatsApp call and seeing how many megabytes it used by how many pennies it knocked off your credit, and comparing that to the cost it would have been at 3p per minute by normal phone call.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    igdcbs wrote: »
    I am thinking the same thing, she would be much better with a phone with a keypad, but she is adamant she would like a touch screen, she does use facebook on her computer to keep in touch with family and has said she would like to get a more modern phone, I can see I will be on the phone everytime she gets a text to ask how to reply!

Get a phone you are familiar with. 78 year old parent has managed to accidentally do all sorts of strange things to her phone and as hers is samsung mini and mine is an iphone it's taken a while for me to sort out in person what she's managed to do. Don't think it would have been doable over the phone.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eDicky wrote: »
    There's no 'catch', but perhaps your young family members should have explained how it works. WhatsApp uses the internet for calls and messages, unlike normal voice calls and texts through the mobile network itself.

Your phone can connect to the internet and enable use of WhatsApp either through its mobile data connection, which is relatively very cheap on Three PAYG at 1p/MB without buying a bundle, or through WiFi, such as your home WiFi if you have (?).

If you will be using your mobile data for WhatsApp it will incur a cost, but probably less than normal calls and text messages through the mobile network (which are certainly cheap enough on 3 PAYG).

WhatsApp messages use hardly any data, voice calls use more of course. You can check which way is cheaper, for example, by timing a WhatsApp call and seeing how many megabytes it used by how many pennies it knocked off your credit, and comparing that to the cost it would have been at 3p per minute by normal phone call.

I agree. I've been using WhatsApp on 3 payg for quite a while now and have found data charges to be minimal when out and about (and obviously zero when using wifi at home or in cafe's etc with decent free WiFi).

Just make sure that you only use voice connection when using data as video calls will dramatically increase the data charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure