MSE News: Apple to cut cost of replacing iPhone batteries

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options

So... last night I updated the IOS and as of this morning it doesn't seem any different but I agreed to run with it for a few days and then get back to them if the issues persist.

Although it sounds like it's your battery try the following (it's for iPads but it all applies to iPhones too).

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are Apple claiming this is just a recent event with iOS 11, surely this has been going on for years, has there been another means they have used with older devices to slow them down? Still not seen info on whether this applies to ipads, as again there are lots of complaints about them slowing down after updates, I'm surprised there hasn't been more info on them as well.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    Are Apple claiming this is just a recent event with iOS 11, surely this has been going on for years, has there been another means they have used with older devices to slow them down? Still not seen info on whether this applies to ipads, as again there are lots of complaints about them slowing down after updates, I'm surprised there hasn't been more info on them as well.

https://www.imore.com/no-ipad-slow
  • boatman
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    But I'm not sure that gives much, its relying on Apple saying its affected, which obviously they haven't been honest about.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    But I'm not sure that gives much, its relying on Apple saying its affected, which obviously they haven't been honest about.

Really? It's not the way I read it, iPads don't have the battery monitoring software which is what is slowing down (some) iPhones.

Will their batteries degrade? Of course, all batteries degrade over time but as the article says tablet batteries are significantly bigger and also less likely to be used outside in cold conditions.
  • boatman
    Options
    There just seem to be an awful lot of comments going back a few years with regard to updated software and slowdowns, now that they have been caught out I suspect there will be more scrutiny. I thought there might more comparisons coming out as people try different software with new/old batteries.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm... over the past 3-4 months I've had quite some issue with my >2yr old iPhone 6+.
    • The battery seems to run out particularly quickly, sometimes with less than 20% battery power it'll drop down to less than 5% and then within seconds shut down.
    • Apps are taking considerably longer to open up
    • Pretty much every time it's left alone it'll drop the WIFI connection
    I spoke (via online chat) with an Apple agent yesterday evening and he took me through a diagnostic process. Apparently the battery full charge capacity is at 92% so he deemed it to be pretty much within the realms of a brand new battery. He advised that updating to the latest IOS (which I'd delayed doing because I'd been experiencing these issues over the last two IOS updates) would likely resolve these issues...

So... last night I updated the IOS and as of this morning it doesn't seem any different but I agreed to run with it for a few days and then get back to them if the issues persist.

Anyone else experienced similar (i.e. being suspected of simply making it up)?

My 3yr old 6+ slowed considerably with the IOS 11 update, mainly affecting opening apps. Can't say it's needing charging any more often though. I can live with it considering the cost of a new phone, but may well go for the £25 offer on a new battery. Much like yours - an app called Battery Life is reporting 93% battery capacity 2700/2915 mAh. With these high readings I'd be surprised if failing batteries were to blame for the slowdown.
  • philng
    philng Posts: 801 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So is there an answer re refund for those who paid £79 in late October due to the extreme slow down & cut out on an IPhone 6 following IOS 11 launch?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    philng wrote: »
    So is there an answer re refund for those who paid £79 in late October due to the extreme slow down & cut out on an IPhone 6 following IOS 11 launch?

The reports (in the US) are saying they will refund on batteries purchased from 14/12/2017 onwards.

Of course that might change if it generates enough bad publicity, but I’ve seen a report where a US user was refused a refund for a battery bought on 11/12.
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    philng wrote: »

It's not happening IMHO.

They're launching a software battery monitor app, perhaps they'll let them choose whether to put up with a failing battery and all of it's consequences or enable the (sensible) power saving mode? Or just pay up and get a new battery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure