AA Car Genie - Reviews?

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure that is correct with modern smart phones that can have multiple BT connections.

Indeed. I had a Merc C220d hire car last year and it connected via Bluetooth to both my work phone (for calls) and my own phone (for music).
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Depends upon the version of bluetooth in both car and phone. The latest standard allows multiple connections.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    alanf1314 wrote: »
    I know nothing about my car so having the AA with me feels like a good thing! It also has additional things over and above breakdown according to the website:

Knowing your car’s location so you can find it or see if it’s been moved

From what i can tell it connects to your phone and uses your phones mobile data. So you won't be able to see your cars location or if it has been moved unless you also leave your phone in the car.
    Unless it does have it own mobile connection that isn't mentioned on the website.
    Detecting a crash and triggering a call from us to help

This may be the one and only actually useful feature it has.
    Offering fuel efficiency tips, interactive maps and recording your trips

Like i said above there are plenty of Apps that you can get for free that do this.
    Letting you know of any issues through push notifications via the app
    It's only £29 so will give it a try. Seems better than the pain and stress of breaking down :D

If there is a problem with you car the engine light will come on and if your battery is on it's way out the car will struggle to start.

So this won't actually help you breakdown less unless you completely ignore all signs of trouble with your car until the app on your phone sends a notification.

But i can see why the AA want to promote such a device because they will be getting alot of data of how you drive, where you go and at what times plus information from the cars computer which they analyse against how the car is being driven at the time.
    So they may be able to make a bit of money because there are lots of companies who would be interested in this kind of data.
  • Just saw the Ad on the TV for this. I do wonder if they'll refuse to attend if you have been driving around for a few days with a warning light on?
  • I
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    I got an email from the AA yesterday advertising their new Car Genie device which was free when paying a yearly subscription fee of £29 which I find very reasonable. So I ordered one

The device promises to alert you of your battery health, as well as predicting breakdowns before they even occur. Even keeping track of your driving and giving you hints on how to save fuel and things.

It all sounds too good to be true but I'm looking forward to it arriving within the next few days!

Does anybody have one? Did it predict an early breakdown or
  • I was with Green Flag for 2 years and used their system. I wanted it primarily for the battery as I didn't want to get caught out. Their android app which was downloaded to my cell and tablet would not register my account so it's "Rescue Me" tracker was not fit for purpose.
    When the battery failed I had no warning whatsoever, no feedback from the device even when the battery was being tested in the garage. So basically useless as it necessitated a call out.
    I have since returned to the AA but will not be adding their device until I see evidence that they actually work. Also, don't like the "Big Brother" aspect of it all..
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    Forumite
    No, it wont predict an early breakdown any more than the engine management light coming on will.

If there is a fault that triggers the EML then the box will see that, but you will see it also and will already know something is wrong.

Battery monitor, but it also takes power from the battery.

It could be a hinder as much as a help. The light may come of for a minor reason, cars runnign fine you need to be somewhere so carry on.
    Then after you call them out and they say tough you drove past garages after the faulty showed originally?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• alanf1314
    alanf1314 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Just remember if your phone connects to the car via Bluetooth you'll have to decide which you want to use, this or your phone.

This is wrong. The Car Genie has a SIM card in it and transmits information via mobile data. You can even see where the car is when you're not in it. No BT connection is required. I use my phone hands-free via BT and the device still works perfectly :money:
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132
    Forumite
    I know nothing about my car so having the AA with me feels like a good thing! It also has additional things over and above breakdown according to the website:

Knowing your car’s location so you can find it or see if it’s been moved
    Detecting a crash and triggering a call from us to help
    Offering fuel efficiency tips, interactive maps and recording your trips
    Letting you know of any issues through push notifications via the app

It's only £29 so will give it a try. Seems better than the pain and stress of breaking down :D

I've had it for a few months now and it certainly doesn't seem like a waste of money, though I have to say that the driving score can seem quite inaccurate at times. I did a long motorway trip a few days ago and stuck to the speed limit the entire way, and it still accuses me of speeding and gave me a 62% score for speed. Regarding the faults, it came up with something to do with my battery, that I'm going to get checked this morning
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132
    Forumite
    This is wrong. The Car Genie has a SIM card in it and transmits information via mobile data. You can even see where the car is when you're not in it. No BT connection is required. I use my phone hands-free via BT and the device still works perfectly :money:

I was just about to reply to all and say that Bluetooth isn't required. My car isn't bluetooth enabled anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure