spanish will vs english

2»

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No she was a uk resident. Your reply is making me think that perhaps my uncle has a Spanish solicitor. Today was the 1st I've heard about the presence of a Spanish will though. I'm on disability benefits so can't afford a solicitor, Spanish or otherwise!

Know anyone who speaks Spanish who could draft or translate any correspondence for you ?
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I did some digging and found out that the man appointed as my solicitors point of contact isn't a solicitor!! I'm really shocked, I presumed he was one as the initial letter was on headed paper and when I asked him if he was the solicitor, he said yes.. it looks like (and I had never heard of this before)he's an SRA manger in a solicitor/manager merger firm (ABS alternative business structure) from some 2007 legislation.. I am shocked that he didn't explain this to me .Not sure what to do, I feel like something fishy is going on regarding this flat in spain and my uncle, and no one is being transparent with me, I'm having to do digging to get a picture
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • rachel230
    rachel230 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As others have said, unfortunately you will need to engage a lawyer if you are to get to the bottom of this. It is a difficult situation.
    You can phone up the law society in England and ask them for a lawyer who lives here but practises Spanish law (an international lawyer).
    If you do manage to get a copy of the will, you could ask around your local college or put an ad in a couple of shop windows asking for a Spanish speaker to help you translate.
    Even after probate is granted (or whatever the Spanish equivalent is), unlike here, you still may not be entitled to a copy of the will. I know that`s the case in Mexico.
    You could also do an internet search for English speaking Spanish lawyers - I`m sure there is a professional body they must belong to) and I would find one near to where the property is.
    Where is the will being held and have you actually asked for a copy of it?
  • faerielight
    I only found out about the will today and asked for a copy of it but was refused by this manager guy who I thought was the solicitor, I don't know if it's a copy or if my uncle has the original. I'm on benefits so access to my own solicitors is going to prove tricky. I want to see it and any documentation of the property, but the firm are being obstructive. Bottom line is, my family are crooked and I don't trust my uncle who is the executor, and I don't trust this firm as they haven't been transparent with me at all.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 2:59AM
    I only found out about the will today and asked for a copy of it but was refused by this manager guy who I thought was the solicitor, I don't know if it's a copy or if my uncle has the original. I'm on benefits so access to my own solicitors is going to prove tricky. I want to see it and any documentation of the property, but the firm are being obstructive. Bottom line is, my family are crooked and I don't trust my uncle who is the executor, and I don't trust this firm as they haven't been transparent with me at all.
    I suggest you write a polite but firm letter to the senior partner of the firm setting out the facts as you know them and asking him to investigate. Send it by Signed For rather than by email
  • faerielight
    thanks yorkshireman, I will do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure