At what speed do you get a speeding ticket on the M25?

Comments

• kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whenever I drive on the M25 I am usually doing 80 and never had an issue. And there are usually cars going much faster than me as well. Not sure the cameras work all the time - maybe they turn some of them off? I dunno. There are so many of the bloody things it feels like its every 100 metres honestly. I don't know why there are so many.
  • The M25 is monitored for speeding on a variation of the average speed limit system. The cameras are able to determine your point of entry and exit to / from the motorway, and will calculate your average speed whilst circumnavigating London (note, within the variable speed limit sections the average is calculated between the start and end of the variable element, so you do need to reduce your speed here). If your average speed from start to finish is greater than (in national speed limit sections) 82 mph you can expect a ticket to appear in the post. You most likely have been lucky so far because - like most of us - your average speed will be less than 82 mph due to congestion. You are consequently at most risk between 10pm and 6am when the motorway is at its quietest - I recommend using a speed limiter function on your car if it has one, and set it to 82.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    tho wrote: »
    I was once told that the cameras are only active when there's a reduced speed limit in place. This could be utter tosh, but I've been coming the other way and seen them going off like Blackpool illuminations when its been 40/50/60, never really seen it when NSL applies.

Why it'd be turned off at 70 I have no idea.

It's becoming tosh. Don't speed on the M4/M5 around Bristol/Almondsbury as these are active regardless of whether they are lit or not. The M4 west of the Severn Bridge in the variable area now has signs lit saying cameras active. If you pass cameras, it is safer to assume they are active rather than otherwise.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2017 at 7:46PM
    The M25 is monitored for speeding on a variation of the average speed limit system. The cameras are able to determine your point of entry and exit to / from the motorway, and will calculate your average speed whilst circumnavigating London (note, within the variable speed limit sections the average is calculated between the start and end of the variable element, so you do need to reduce your speed here). If your average speed from start to finish is greater than (in national speed limit sections) 82 mph you can expect a ticket to appear in the post. You most likely have been lucky so far because - like most of us - your average speed will be less than 82 mph due to congestion. You are consequently at most risk between 10pm and 6am when the motorway is at its quietest - I recommend using a speed limiter function on your car if it has one, and set it to 82.
    Where are you getting these figures from? If you think driving below 82mph will result in no speeding tickets then think again.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    The M25 is monitored for speeding on a variation of the average speed limit system. The cameras are able to determine your point of entry and exit to / from the motorway, and will calculate your average speed whilst circumnavigating London

Nonsense :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    tho wrote: »
    I was once told that the cameras are only active when there's a reduced speed limit in place. This could be utter tosh, but I've been coming the other way and seen them going off like Blackpool illuminations when its been 40/50/60, never really seen it when NSL applies.

Why it'd be turned off at 70 I have no idea.

I don't know about the M25, but I believe they do deactivate when traffic control is not active in many other 'managed traffic' areas.

Why do I suspect this? many of these managed areas are being gradually 'upgraded' and new ones built with those missile launcher style speed cameras added at intervals. Now these are often added onto the side of gantries already fitted with a full complement of digital Gatso's. Why bother if the existing Gatso were able to be left on?

I do know these new additional cameras are always active and alleged to be fairly tight, allowing not much over 10%+2mph level.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • The M25 is monitored for speeding on a variation of the average speed limit system. The cameras are able to determine your point of entry and exit to / from the motorway, and will calculate your average speed whilst circumnavigating London (note, within the variable speed limit sections the average is calculated between the start and end of the variable element, so you do need to reduce your speed here). If your average speed from start to finish is greater than (in national speed limit sections) 82 mph you can expect a ticket to appear in the post. You most likely have been lucky so far because - like most of us - your average speed will be less than 82 mph due to congestion. You are consequently at most risk between 10pm and 6am when the motorway is at its quietest - I recommend using a speed limiter function on your car if it has one, and set it to 82.

Thank you, and the rest, for your replies.

However, it seems no one really knows the answer. It would be great if someone here received, or know someone who has, a speeding ticket whilst the variable limit was not being enforced. Actually, even if it was enforced. The reason I say this is because, despite the jokes, I easily manage to average 85+ whilst on the M25. My family live on the other side of London so I am regularly travelling back and forth to see them. I choose times when it is quiet and the vast majority of the time, the only time I get slowed down is if there is a driver not moving out the way on the right lane. Sometimes when it is late, I literally can maintain a speed of 90+ for 30 minutes or so.

Yet, no ticket for me and there are people who drive significantly faster.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite

However, it seems no one really knows the answer. It would be great if someone here received, or know someone who has, a speeding ticket whilst the variable limit was not being enforced. Actually, even if it was enforced. The reason I say this is because, despite the jokes, I easily manage to average 85+ whilst on the M25. My family live on the other side of London so I am regularly travelling back and forth to see them. I choose times when it is quiet and the vast majority of the time, the only time I get slowed down is if there is a driver not moving out the way on the right lane. Sometimes when it is late, I literally can maintain a speed of 90+ for 30 minutes or so.

Keep an eye on pepipoo. There has been an increase in people getting caught on certain sections of the M25, M4, M5 on unlit gantries in smart motorway areas.

To do more than 10%+2 might be considered brave in these areas. To misquoute Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry -

"Do you feel lucky, punk? Well do ya?"
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

As mercdriver says Go look at the pepipoo forums, there certainly have been people there caught on variable speed cameras . One word of warning though, don't ask random questions on there unless you use the flame pit or other chat boards , the speeding part of the forum is only for actual cases .

THe Dartford crossing seems to be particularly active for tickets.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    pelirocco wrote: »
    I was going to post at about 25 miles per hour , I am astonished you can actually reach speeds of over that on the m25

My thoughts exactly!

Took me over 3 hours to do a 1 hour journey on there recently.

They call it the biggest car park in the SE for a good reason!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure