PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family trees

Comments

• Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I wondered if anyone had had good or bad experiences, like the TV program.
    Tips x
  • Pw hat a fascinating thread.

Ancestry.com has free access this weekend.
  • Tipsntreats
    Debt-free and Proud!
    bushbaby1103 Well done, you made it! I expect more posts tomorrow, well hopefully. Have you read through? I wish you had used that as a title.
    Tips x
  • Tipsntreats
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorry I meant to put this up on Friday. Free access for the Bank Holiday!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry I meant to put this up on Friday. Free access for the Bank Holiday!

Don't they always have a free 7 or 14 day sign-up access, Tips.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Tipsntreats
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes Sam they do. But I did promise ages ago that I would let folks know about the Bank Holiday access.
    Tips x
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 August 2016 at 4:41PM
    I thought although Ancestry seem to be expensive, if you think of it as a hobby and work out the weekly cost, it's not to bad if you were spending a lot of time on it. Especially now that many of the Council Libraries where you can use it for free are having to cut their hours. So i've just googled 'Ancestry Reviews' and found this. There are a lot of complaints about them.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/ancestry.html

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.ancestry.com
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • bushbaby1103 Well done, you made it! I expect more posts tomorrow, well hopefully. Have you read through? I wish you had used that as a title.
    Tips x

I've been able to track 4 first cousins and 200+ distant cousins we are able to cross match going back to 1800but not any earlier because of how records of anonymous African slaves were kept its not until the mid 1800s that individual names come up mainly due to intermarriage with Europeans in the Caribbean and land transfers and inter family slave purchasing in America and the abolition which meant individual names were recorded as part of financial and bequeathal, and manumission records.

. It's so exciting to be emailed a picture of a random person and see a strong family resemblance across the generations. Their individual stories are filtering through to me and building a picture of who this 5x great grandparent that we all share is
    I know she's a common matriarch because the test we did was matrilineal she mustve left west Africa around the late 1700's when the trade was at its busiest and somehow generated a family line in both Jamaica and America. I'm thinking of writing a novel based on this search as I guess many others have done. Any advice?:o
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've been able to track 4 first cousins and 200+ distant cousins we are able to cross match going back to 1800but not any earlier because of how records of anonymous African slaves were kept its not until the mid 1800s that individual names come up mainly due to intermarriage with Europeans in the Caribbean and land transfers and inter family slave purchasing in America and the abolition which meant individual names were recorded as part of financial and bequeathal, and manumission records.

. It's so exciting to be emailed a picture of a random person and see a strong family resemblance across the generations. Their individual stories are filtering through to me and building a picture of who this 5x great grandparent that we all share is
    I know she's a common matriarch because the test we did was matrilineal she mustve left west Africa around the late 1700's when the trade was at its busiest and somehow generated a family line in both Jamaica and America. I'm thinking of writing a novel based on this search as I guess many others have done. Any advice?:o

Yes, just write it if it is something you want to do. You could write a precis outlining the story first to see what it will look like, then expand on the bits that appear the most interesting.

Stick a few extracts up here and see how it goes.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • bushbaby1103 That is wonderful news. Do you belong to Ancestry? They are always looking for people with a story for TV. They keep sending me invites.

Fruitcake I know you have a story. I know it will be romantic and lovely. Now don't be shy.

Tips x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport