Would you accept a service charge from a pub?

Evening, everybody

The other night we took some friends out for dinner. We were a party of 6 and went to a lovely local pub where we have eaten many times over the last decade.

To my bafflement, when it came to paying, the waiter politely declined the £10.00 tip my husband gave him and referred him to the "service charge" on the bill. Which amounted to just under £ 18.00 ( the service charge, not the overall bill!)

Well, that was new!

As we had invited our friends and didnt't want them to feel uncomfortable we didn't say much other than we prefer to tip in cash...and whilst the waiter couldn't say much either, it was clear that he would have infinitely preferred this, too.

In our neck of the woods ( Devon) it was the first time I encountered this charge from a pub. There are a couple of fine dining places who do levy a service charge, but it is clearly displayed on the menu ...or stated at the time of booking the reservation.

I don't mind tipping and always do. And we are good tippers. But would I have tipped £18.00 on that evening ? No. That seems a tad excessive for a local pub ( and incidentally we were the only people eating!) and a quick weekday dinner with friends. It isn't that it was a celebration where we stayed until closing time.

But I don't like to be bullied into giving a tip, least of all a nearly 20 quid tip.

My problem: I am not really happy about that new policy but I don't want to fall out with the pub either. We like eating there, the food is great, the service lovely...just the owners are odd. And now that policy.

Just wondering - if that was your pub adding a service charge would you say something? Would you simply decline paying the charge (which, lets face it, falls under the easier said than done category)? Or...?

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you need to give the pub some honest feedback about it.

I find it a hassle giving a cash tip when paying by card so prefer something to be added. If the overall cost of the meal works out too expensive, we would be far less likely to go there again. We don't eat out that much anyway so it isn't that likely we'd say anything at the time and feel like we were spoiling a social event - we'd just be put off.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • harrup wrote: »
    I don't mind tipping and always do. And we are good tippers. But would I have tipped £18.00 on that evening ? No. That seems a tad excessive for a local pub ( and incidentally we were the only people eating!) and a quick weekday dinner with friends. It isn't that it was a celebration where we stayed until closing time.

Assuming the service charge was the standard 12.5% of the bill your offer of a £10 tip would not be seen as "good" I assume your food/drinks came to around £145 between the 6 of you so a £10 tip is a little tight.
  • A £10 isn't tight at all - the staff were being paid so tips are a bonus!

I'd give honest feedback - never known this in a pub! I don't like tips added as I'm never sure the staff actually get them.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Assuming the service charge was the standard 12.5% of the bill your offer of a £10 tip would not be seen as "good" I assume your food/drinks came to around £145 between the 6 of you so a £10 tip is a little tight.

Utter nonsense. A tip is exactly that, a thank you for services above and beyond your expectations. Anywhere that adds a service charge I have absolutely no problem asking for it to be removed, and if you ask they have to remove it, then give the server cash in hand if their service warrants it.

If the service is standard then no tip.

OP, write to the pub and explain nicely that you find it a problem and won't be visiting as much if at all because of it.
    Pants
  • Jordo
    Jordo Posts: 104 Forumite
    It will be because there were six of you, so the pub will have a scheme of 'six or more you are charged x for service'. You can always refuse.
    Spend what is left after saving. Don't save what is left after spending
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Emily735 wrote: »
    Accept charge & don't tip, simple!

The OP already said that they thought the £18 charge was too much. Tips should NEVER be forced on to people.
    Pants
  • harrup
    harrup Posts: 511 Forumite

Whilst I absolutely respect your opinion....I couldn't disagree more!

I'd consider adding magnanimously a couple of £ to the credit card bill as a tip for the waiting staff "tight", but not a tenner in cash.

To me, a tip is an additional "thank you" for the waiter - as well as an incentive for when we return - not an automatic "right" nor my duty. My sole "duty" upon leaving is to pay for the products consumed, not to take responsability for the employees cash flow or low wage.

I know really good tippers and I know some people who won't part with a single nickle unless they have to. But I wouldn't know a soul who'd give an £ 18.00 tip for a quick pub dinner. Maybe that routinely happens in Belgravia where oligarchs abound but not in the depth of Devon :)
  • harrup
    harrup Posts: 511 Forumite
    Jordo wrote: »
    It will be because there were six of you, so the pub will have a scheme of 'six or more you are charged x for service'. You can always refuse.

You are likely correct...about the size of our party.

And if we wouldn't have been the ONLY occupied table in the whole pub - either exceptionally slow night or due to other patrons similarly disgruntled about service charge and thus staying away - I think I would have minded a tad less.

Either way, I will do as suggested and mail the pub with some feedback.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jordo wrote: »

Why is it acceptable to add a service charge because 6 people are sitting at one table rather 6 people on individual tables? I can't see the logic in it.
  • Jordo
    Jordo Posts: 104 Forumite
    Loads of places do it - check the small print, usually at the bottom of the menu
    Spend what is left after saving. Don't save what is left after spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport