was this a ghost ?

First, let me say that I am quite level headed and sceptical but something my sister in law has told me made me feel quite spooky. I'd be interested in opinions...what do you think it was ? My brother and sil bought their house last January after they were told about it by sil's mum. Her mum used to clean the house for the old lady who owned it and when it started to get to be a bit too much for her she moved into a residential care home. Anyway, one night last week my brother was working late, my niece was at her friend's house across the road so my sil decided to have a nice relaxing bath. She heard footsteps coming up the stairs and assumed it was her daughter. She was so convinced that she shouted out to her but got no answer. Then she heard my niece's bedroom door shut so got out of the bath and went to the bedroom. There was nobody there, nobody on the stairs, in fact nobody in the whole house. So she got dressed and went over the road to find her daughter with her friend and parents half way through watching a dvd. My sil is very forthright, assertive, works for the police and is not given to fantasizing in any way which makes it worse as I really believe she didn't make it up. The following day her mum arrived and told her that the old lady they bought the house from had died......the night before at 7.30pm, the exact time of the footsteps. Is it coincidence or what ??

Comments

• missmontana
    missmontana Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could be, maybe she was just coming home one last time :A
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    oooh spoooky ... could have been or just wind

or your sister in law was so relaxed in the bath she slightly dozed off and dream
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Could be. I used to be a sceptic until I had 2 experiences of my own, so I wouldn't think you were mad if you thought it was a ghost. :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=3303747&postcount=2
  • I used to live in Edwin Starr's house, and my office/chill out room was the room he died in. I'd often hear who I thought was my OH coming home early, I'd shout to him to put the kettle on, and it was never him - the stairs were creaky and I'd be totally convinced that it was him and it never was.

If it was Edwin, he was a very chilled out ghost. No aminosity from him. Bless his cottons....
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • I had something very similar happen as well in a house i used to live in, I thought someone was in the house but it was someone friendly, not scary. I was able to time it pretty exactly because I thought DH had made it back early from a meeting and had somehow come in without me realising. When he wasn't there I felt mildly puzzled but didn't really think about it. A couple of days later one of the neighbours told me that the lady who lived in the house one owner before me had passed away at that time. I hadn't known her well but had been in contact with her a little through mutual friends. I think she just came by for a little visit on her way to wherever she was going.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Of course it wasn't a ghost, don't be so ridiculous.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It wasn't a ghost, because ghosts don't exist.

Also, imagine for a second that they did, if you'd just died and found yourself in spectral form, would you go straight to your old house, upstairs, randomly shut a door and then b*gg*r off again? Why would you bother?
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Ghosts don't exist, so the answer is no.
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    There are no such things as ghosts, it's all a total load of tosh. What your sister probably heard was the natural creaking of boards and the door closing in a draught as doors are apt to do. Let's keep superstition where it belongs....back in the middle ages.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    No it wasn't a ghost
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport