Would you ask for a doggy bag?

You're stuffed at a restaurant but there are still loads of juicy noodles/meat/whatever left over that would make a perfect lunch tomorrow… Which is closest to what you'd usually do?

Pick one of five options in this week's poll:

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

Comments

• BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not sure why anyone would be embarrassed to ask. The server should normally ask the customer, not the other way round.
  • My grandma takes her own doggy bag - a tupperware box!

Whenever she goes for a meal with her friends she takes a plastic box with her & puts half her meal in it at the start and then she has room for pudding and a meal to take home for another day!!!
    £10 a day challenge £349.01/£3650
    Declutter 97/1095
    Weight Loss 10/81 lbs
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have done and would do.

I've yet to come across an eating establishment that does not have containers/boxes for left over food.

Why would anything think it an odd thing to do? Especially with some of the portion sizes some establishments dish out.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Having done a few trips to the USA, it's common practise over there. My SIL's fridge often has "leftover" boxes in, taken to work for lunch the next day, etc.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    always do and if not the sort of place that offers some gets wrapped in napkins for the two four legged members of the family as treat
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • There has to be quite a bit leftover for me to bother and I'm much more likely to do it in Indian or Chinese restaurants (where they will definitely have take-away containers) - but then I'm also more likely to over-order in those restaurants.

I would definitely be a fan of it being commonplace for waiting staff to ask if you'd like one, as it can be a little embarrassing to ask.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    I find it easier to ask for the remnants to be boxed up, rather than for a "doggy bag".
    [
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you don't ask it's only going in the bin.
    If it's nice ask and take it home.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • yes I do, but very rarely eat in restaurants these days. If we don't eat it the next day, it would go to either our dog or our chickens. When I used to work as a waitress at weddings and functions, I often used to take the leftover meat and fish home, that was left uneaten on the plates as we cleared, to feed the animals. As food waste is no longer allowed to go to feed pigs, restaurants are more than happy for you to take it away for free, rather than pay for it to go to waste. I've never known one be funny about it in over 30 years of eating out and 15 years working in restaurants.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's this one place I love, a BBQ restaurant that I always order too much in. I've asked for it to be boxed up there. Still couldn't even finish it on the 2nd meal!!

Although I rarely have any leftovers at restaurants! And if I do, it's usually because the food wasn't great, with a few exceptions obviously lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure