Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'm looking for a courier, preferably one that has a drop off system that can handle a tube type shape that is just a fraction over 120cm long and less than 2kg. Insurance cover preferably up to £35.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • So Martin requested feedback on international parcels. I went via Transglobalexpress and their site was easy to use and the prices are good. But the good experience ended there.

I booked a slot choice presented to me - 5 to 9pm and sat in and waited. Before 5pm I got a call asking me how the pick up was, and I said it hadn't happened yet in fact the window hadn't begun. There was no pickup and no communication. I rang in the am and was given a verbal apology and told that slot didn't exist and shouldn't have been booked. Why I thought did the cheery man who called at 4 something not tell me this?

I booked a second slot from 11-3 and waited in. At 2 something I called and asked if the driver would be there by 3? I was told no - he was running over and it would more likely be 5. But I said - when I booked this slot this am I advised the call handler I had to go out at 3.30 and be back at 5. I asked them to tell the driver they said they would. They also told me the call handler had told me they cannot guarantee slot times and they are only advisory. This was not true.

I returned home at 5.11 pm to find a UPS card saying the driver had called at 5pm. I was not happy. I called again and was told I would have to book a 9-6 slot for the next day and stay in all day that times could not be guaranteed. Not happy.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    londoner15 wrote: »
    So Martin requested feedback on international parcels. I went via Transglobalexpress and their site was easy to use and the prices are good. But the good experience ended there.

I booked a slot choice presented to me - 5 to 9pm and sat in and waited. Before 5pm I got a call asking me how the pick up was, and I said it hadn't happened yet in fact the window hadn't begun. There was no pickup and no communication. I rang in the am and was given a verbal apology and told that slot didn't exist and shouldn't have been booked. Why I thought did the cheery man who called at 4 something not tell me this?

I booked a second slot from 11-3 and waited in. At 2 something I called and asked if the driver would be there by 3? I was told no - he was running over and it would more likely be 5. But I said - when I booked this slot this am I advised the call handler I had to go out at 3.30 and be back at 5. I asked them to tell the driver they said they would. They also told me the call handler had told me they cannot guarantee slot times and they are only advisory. This was not true.

I returned home at 5.11 pm to find a UPS card saying the driver had called at 5pm. I was not happy. I called again and was told I would have to book a 9-6 slot for the next day and stay in all day that times could not be guaranteed. Not happy.

What did you expect the driver to do?
  • Just a quick one, Hermes under 1KG for £2.22 inc VAT at parcel2go at the moment.
    That's for Parcelshop drop off and no compensation - but I send about 40 a day and very rarely have issues.
  • Gimli52
    Gimli52 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 October 2016 at 8:42PM
    I've used a lot of different parcel brokers (with varying degree of success) but I've used Pharos Parcels the last few times and they've been excellent.

I send a variety of bespoke dollhouse furniture that I deal in to collectors all over the world, but it was starting to get a bit expensive! A lot of my clients are in the USA, France and Italy and it was really reassuring to be able to use the same company for both continents. They really helped me out when a client had accidentally given the wrong address and were really good about this (it was great to be able to talk to an actual person on the phone, rather than fill in a multitude of web forms).

I was also advised by one of my friends in the I.T. industry to only use companies who meet certain security standards (pci or icp or something) and when I enquired I was told that my previous broker wasn't which is what led me to try Pharos in the first place.

Anyway just thought I'd my two penneth:j
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,494
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    londoner15 wrote: »
    So Martin requested feedback on international parcels. I went via Transglobalexpress and their site was easy to use and the prices are good. But the good experience ended there.

Pick ups seem like they are a good thing, but they often seem to be a problem. I've had couriers fail to turn up for 5 days on the trot, which is no good if you wanted delivery in 3 days! For this reason, I prefer to use couriers that have drop-off locations, such as the local newsagent. It might mean a 10 minute trip to do the drop off, but at least then I know it is on its way and it is better than hanging round all day.
    koru
  • Grandmama
    Grandmama Posts: 148
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 October 2016 at 12:00PM
    Used royal mail, post office for a large box containing a 4 stainless steel saucepans plus lids and a large heavy wok. Weighed 7.5 kg. From the Isle of Man to Hampshire. Special delivery, cost £16. Posted Tuesday morning arrived destination Thursday morning. Was able to track and name of signer. I reckon that excellent service.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Grandmama wrote: »
    Used royal mail, post office for a large box containing a 4 stainless steel saucepans plus lids and a large heavy wok. Weighed 7.5 kg. From the Isle of Man to Hampshire. Special delivery, cost £16. Posted Tuesday morning arrived destination Thursday morning. Was able to track and name of signer. I reckon that excellent service.

Are the postage costs from isle of Man different than the rest of the UK? Special delivery for 7.5kg is £26.60 using Royal mail in England.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Grandmama
    Grandmama Posts: 148
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Could be. Our postage stamps are cheaper. Although not part of the UK we do have UK postcodes! So I maybe got a bargain. Since the ferry costs to get here are extortionate. I do not think we will get a rush of people coming to use our post office! We do get businesses in UK refusing to send to the Isle of Man so it,s "swings and roundabouts".
  • jbindebt
    jbindebt Posts: 87
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have just used Parcelhero due to the MSE promo code offered. They lost my item and despite weeks of to-ing and fro-ing via poor customer service have just admitted the item costing over two hundred pounds can not be found despite being tracked. Stupidly I didn't purchase extra cover and have now realised a "vehicle part" is on their exemptions list.
    So I have lost everything and haven't a leg to stand on, my problem. Only now have I found the Trustpilot site wth over two hundred and fifty pages of complaints against this company. Perhaps suggesting them as a "Best buy" might be inappropriate?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback