Vodafone to Change Prices from 11 Oct 2011

Comments

• Has anyone been able to cancel there contract using these new changes?
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I sent them an email whinging and threatening to walk away at end of contract (I've got 2) and as yet they haven't even bothered to reply,apart from the automated response.

Will post back if I get any kind of joy with 'em.

It's not the money,really it isn't, but to call it simplification does annoy me !
    Space available for rent
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    Just got notification via SMS, I don't think this will affect me, but I'll check the changes to make sure.
  • yeslek
    yeslek Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wow....I'm just glad my contract is officially over.
    Doesnt look like I'll be renewing at this rate. High cost of upgrades and now this?
  • qpop
    qpop Posts: 555 Forumite
    Hi guys,

I posted this on another thread, hope it clarifies the situation:

I've done some research and plotted the changes, obviously these are only my changes, but it may be of use to others(The "old" charges are from when I signed up; August 2010):

Old New % change
    Monthly bill £35.75 £36.00 0.69%
    all l/l and voda mob (/min) £0.20 £0.35 42.86%
    Other UK networks £0.35 £0.35 0.00%
    0845, 0870 £0.20 £0.14 -42.86%
    0844, 0871 £0.35 £0.35 0.00%
    0800, 0808, 0500 £0.20 £0.14 -42.86%
    Charity numbers £0.00 £0.00 0.00%
    Voicemail in UK £0.20 £0.35 42.86%
    Standard text £0.12 £0.12 0.00%
    Picture message £0.36 £0.37 2.70%
    Video message £0.60 £0.62 3.23%
    Calls to Europe £1.00 £1 0.00%
    Calls to rest of world £1.50 £1.50 0.00%
    Text message to abroad £0.24 £0.25 4.00%

Their contract (to me) reads:
    Changing charges and terms

a.
    We may occasionally change or introduce new charges. If we believe any change in our charges will not disadvantage you, we may include it without telling you. However, if we increase our charges, we’ll give you at least 14 days’ notice.

b.
    We may change or withdraw services at any time and we may change or introduce new terms to this agreement at any time. If we do, we’ll give you at least 30 days’ notice of these changes. If such changes are to your significant disadvantage you may have a right to end this agreement under clause 11b and we’ll tell you if you do.

and the important bit:
    Ending this agreement
    a.
    Either you or us may end this agreement by giving the other 30 days’ notice in writing. Your notice must include your mobile number and the signature or appropriate security details of the account holder. You must pay the charges during the notice period.
    b.
    You may end this agreement by writing to us if:

(i)
    we don’t do something fundamental that we should have done under this agreement (for example, if there is a complete failure of the network for 7 days in a row due to something we have done), within 7 days of you asking us in writing;

(ii)
    we tell you that there will be an increase in the line-rental charge by more than the increase in the retail price index (worked out as a percentage) since the last line-rental increase and you write to us before the increase applies;

(iii)
    we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies; or

(iv)
    we change this agreement to your significant disadvantage including changing or withdrawing services (we will tell you if this is the case) and you write to us within one month of us telling you about the change. This does not apply if the change or withdrawal relates to services which you can cancel without us ending this agreement.

So, in conclusion, unless you've gone significantly over your bill calling Vodafone/landline numbers, as much in that your overall bill would increase by 10% based on last months bill, you can't cancel it under the contract agreement.
    I am an IFA, but nothing I say on this forum constitutes financial advice. Always draw your own conclusions and always do your own research.
  • Peelerfart
    Just had a reply from them saying I didn't provide enough information so they cannot progress my enquiry.

If I re-enter the entire email again they may just answer me,or should I just wind down the clock on 'em and leave.

Let me think ?

You know I think I'll just leave.
    Space available for rent
  • qpop
    qpop Posts: 555 Forumite
    I've emailed Vodafone a few times and had zero responses.

Saying that, the one time I did have a serious issue I emailed using the form on this page:: http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/guylaurence/

Direct line to the CEO's support team.

Have fun :)
    I am an IFA, but nothing I say on this forum constitutes financial advice. Always draw your own conclusions and always do your own research.
  • Peelerfart
    Thanks qpop,

Just sent an email as per your link - will post back any response I do get,if any
    Space available for rent
  • qpop wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I posted this on another thread, hope it clarifies the situation:

I've done some research and plotted the changes, obviously these are only my changes, but it may be of use to others(The "old" charges are from when I signed up; August 2010):

Old New % change
    Monthly bill £35.75 £36.00 0.69%
    all l/l and voda mob (/min) £0.20 £0.35 42.86%
    Other UK networks £0.35 £0.35 0.00%
    0845, 0870 £0.20 £0.14 -42.86%
    0844, 0871 £0.35 £0.35 0.00%
    0800, 0808, 0500 £0.20 £0.14 -42.86%
    Charity numbers £0.00 £0.00 0.00%
    Voicemail in UK £0.20 £0.35 42.86%
    Standard text £0.12 £0.12 0.00%
    Picture message £0.36 £0.37 2.70%
    Video message £0.60 £0.62 3.23%
    Calls to Europe £1.00 £1 0.00%
    Calls to rest of world £1.50 £1.50 0.00%
    Text message to abroad £0.24 £0.25 4.00%

Their contract (to me) reads:

and the important bit:

So, in conclusion, unless you've gone significantly over your bill calling Vodafone/landline numbers, as much in that your overall bill would increase by 10% based on last months bill, you can't cancel it under the contract agreement.

Is there a reason you've missed out the increase in minimum call charge?

On the contract I was on, my min. call charge was a flat-rate of 15p.
    My understanding is that these new charges increase the min. call charge to '1 minute at the tariff of the number being called'.

For short calls (less than 45 seconds) to regular numbers this is an increase of 133%. (from 15p to 35p)
  • Incidentally I posted my 'request to terminate' letter today; I'll report back when/if I get a response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure