Help! I lent some money to a friend who won't pay me back

2»

Comments

• brownbabygirl
    brownbabygirl Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    crazyfj wrote: »
    you could get your local solicitor to write a letter warning her of further action.

it may help you (it would cost you though to do the letter) but might give her the kick she needs
    fj

yep i think this might do it.
    QUIDCO £2827 paid out since October 2007:D
  • I did the same thing. I thought I was helping out a friend in his time of need and lent him £2,500 to buy a car - I did this by CHAPS payment though so I have a little bit of proof. I also have emails and text messages but have still not received a penny.

How did you get on? Is it worth me trying to do anything?
  • Cardamom
    Cardamom Posts: 127 Forumite
    Hi - what a horrible situation to be in.

My mum always says to me never lend anyone money unless you are in a position to let that money go should they not give it back.

Like it has been shown in this cruel example no matter how close you are to someone there is always the chance that when it comes to paying the money back they will deny taking the money or will refuse to pay you back.

Photocopy all evidence you have and send it to her on a regular basis, stating that you are still waiting for your money back and will continue to contact her until she starts paying you back (or get a solicitor to do this for you threatening action if she does not respond). Try to approach her with a pay back plan whereby she gives you some money every month say, until she has paid you back in full. However you say she is ignoring you so I can understand that this may not be the best solution. It may be best to get some legal advice and as another poster said try getting the money back through the small claims court, however this will of course invite further problems.

She sounds like a really nasty person, I hope you can find a way to get your money back.

Cardamom
  • foxwales
    foxwales Posts: 590 Forumite
    I would be cautious about sending her lots of e-mails, texts or visiting her regularly trying to get your money back as this could be classed as harrassment under the Administration of Justice Act Section 60; where harrassment of a debtor by a creditor could be considered a criminal act.

If you have texts, e-mails or any form of written confirmation stating that she admits to the debt, then this proves liability and that it was infact not a gift which would could be submitted before a Civil Court.

You could take this to County Court in which case the court could grant you a judgement against her; if she does still not pay then you are able to enforce it further through the courts using bailiffs.

You do not need to have a solicitor to act on your behalf through the courts, but this will depend on how savvy you are at dealing with formal issues such as this and it shouldn't cost you much to take this through the courts on your own.

Other than that, put this down to life experience and never lend any money again.
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looks like the borrower wasn't really a friend, and this was a horrible expensive lesson :(
  • jess1974
    jess1974 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    I'd send a couple of heavies round to have a quiet word with her....
  • Blakey1982
    Blakey1982 Posts: 430 Forumite
    How about cutting off a limb and charging her £2,500 for it back??
  • My mum is in the same situation. She lent a "friend" over £12,000 in dribs and drabs always with the promise she would get it back, that was all of the savings. Her friend was in trouble and had a young daughter o my mum did all she could to help. When my mum found out she had cancer she asked again and again for her to start paying some back as she needed it. The woman became very nasty, and then moved house. We need to recover this money in the quickest and most cost effective way but need to locate her first.....any ideas???
    LozBK:rotfl:
  • elfieb
    elfieb Posts: 530 Forumite
    lozbk wrote: »
    My mum is in the same situation. She lent a "friend" over £12,000 in dribs and drabs always with the promise she would get it back, that was all of the savings. Her friend was in trouble and had a young daughter o my mum did all she could to help. When my mum found out she had cancer she asked again and again for her to start paying some back as she needed it. The woman became very nasty, and then moved house. We need to recover this money in the quickest and most cost effective way but need to locate her first.....any ideas???

Try 192.com.
    Unfortunately like other posters on this thread have mentioned, you may find it very difficult to get your money back.
    I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
    Mae West
  • Joeler
    Joeler Posts: 179 Forumite
    andyshan wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your advice, I'll weigh up my options, but if there is anyone else too who thinks I have a good route to take, please do let me know.

Thanks once again

Deffo go down small claims route... My missus used this to succesfully get back her rental deposit from a private landlord. Whilst I appreciate this is different, the mere fact the previous landlord received a letter explaining the situation from the solicitors involved, shocked her enough to pay the money back immediatley. Job done.

The small claims court is an online service, and really easy to use. It costs circa £15.00-£20.00 per claim for the admin from memory, but if you win the case she will also have to pay this. All info you need is here:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

Also I don't think you ever have to go to an actual court, which made the last text message from my girlfriends ex landlord even funnier as she said "see you in court!" like she was in some John Grisham novel haha!

Best of luck, this is a lot of cash at any time, let alone in todays climate. I would be scrupulous in your attempts to get it back.

Some people are bloody cheeky

Peace out,
    Joeler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills