PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long on average for offers

Comments

• samsam89
    samsam89 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What has decreased is people`s willingness and ability to borrow the kind of money "Getting on the ladder" now entails, and this sentiment is one of the most important drivers of the property market. Stats and averages can still appear high/positive even on tiny sales volumes, but they are not an accurate guide to how much you should market your house for, the only true guide is - Are people actually viewing and making serious offers to buy?

I can certainly appreciate the above point re: ability to borrow. We have had 4 viewings just before and over the weekend and today is it's 4th day on the market. We had another viewer cancel as their house sale fell through on the morning of their viewing. No offers as of yet...am awaiting EA to provide us with feedback on viewings.
  • vqmismatch
    vqmismatch Posts: 130 Forumite
    samsam89 wrote: »
    You are right. It was my first time home. I could afford to buy it at the price it is listed at - but appreciate it may be on the more expensive side of the FTB target audience. It has only been on for 4 days (the day being the 4th) so of course I will leave it priced as is and consider reviewing the price of further down the line we're without offers. Is 180-190k a totally unrealistic price for a first time buyer?

That has to depend on your local job market.

A mate and his wife just bought their first place for 800k.

Me and my other half could probably stretch to 350k for our first place at most.

Where I live at the moment a lot of new builds aimed at first time buyers seem to be about 120k, but the wages here are generally crap.

A first time buyer in their early 20s with poor income but geographical stability may be able to pay much less than a first time buyer 10-20 years older who hasn't bought because they have not had the geographical stability.
  • MeltingSugs
    MeltingSugs Posts: 19 Forumite
    We sold our two bed semi within a few days to the first people who viewed (had five viewings booked within first few days). We are in Essex and houses sell like hot cakes if priced right and within reach of a station.

There isn't much on the market at the mo I find. We were really lucky and our chain came together and closed without too much bother. If our place well through I have no idea what else we would want to buy though - selling was the easy bit :(
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What has decreased is people`s willingness and ability to borrow the kind of money "Getting on the ladder" now entails, and this sentiment is one of the most important drivers of the property market. Stats and averages can still appear high/positive even on tiny sales volumes, but they are not an accurate guide to how much you should market your house for, the only true guide is - Are people actually viewing and making serious offers to buy?

Absolutely demonstrated with some evidence
    https://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/mortgages/pdf/halifax-first-time%20buyer%20review-13-january-2017-housing-release.pdf

Samsam, be careful taking advice from this forum user. He frankly doesn't share any facts or evidence that back up his opinions!
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    samsam89 wrote: »
    You are right. It was my first time home. I could afford to buy it at the price it is listed at - but appreciate it may be on the more expensive side of the FTB target audience. It has only been on for 4 days (the day being the 4th) so of course I will leave it priced as is and consider reviewing the price of further down the line we're without offers. Is 180-190k a totally unrealistic price for a first time buyer?

Well you can work this out from what people are paid in your area. What you can sell this house for is going to be based on what local people earn.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Absolutely demonstrated with some evidence
    https://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/mortgages/pdf/halifax-first-time%20buyer%20review-13-january-2017-housing-release.pdf

Samsam, be careful taking advice from this forum user. He frankly doesn't share any facts or evidence that back up his opinions!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/analysis-will-house-prices-really-crash-2017/

Looks like the FTB`ers in that article must have been buying something else? OP, be wary of some of the advice you will come across on forums, many times it is recent buyers hoping against hope that they are not going to lose money on their purchase IME.
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    OP ignore Crashy he is frequently branded on MSE by various posters as a fool that for years and years has been saying house prices are about to crash......whilst in 5 years many areas have gone up by 30-40%!
    Avoid even reading anything this troll has to say.

Crashy by all the posts you constantly do - I bet you wish you had bought many years ago then you wouldn't be on here trolling every 5 minutes. Do everyone a favour and bore off in your rented place paying off someone else's mortgage!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Crashy isn't rude and doesn't try to hide the agenda.

He has as much right to post here as anyone else.

People have similar rights to read the post , if they wish.

Me, I'll pass.

Thanks.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Crashy isn't rude and doesn't try to hide the agenda.

He has as much right to post here as anyone else.

People have similar rights to read the post , if they wish.

Me, I'll pass.

Thanks.

He drags discussions off topic on a daily basis and has no respect for the subject, for getting the OP helpful answers, or for listening to anyone's advice. He doesn't give advice and regularly tells lies on the forum, evades questions and he's very aware of it too! He's not rude to people, but absolutely hinders a lot of chat on here. It's a real shame. I'm sure he's got potential. But how can someone with no house buying/selling experience offer advice on the house buying/selling forum every single day?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mickygg wrote: »
    OP ignore Crashy he is frequently branded on MSE by various posters as a fool that for years and years has been saying house prices are about to crash......whilst in 5 years many areas have gone up by 30-40%!
    Avoid even reading anything this troll has to say.

Crashy by all the posts you constantly do - I bet you wish you had bought many years ago then you wouldn't be on here trolling every 5 minutes. Do everyone a favour and bore off in your rented place paying off someone else's mortgage!

Didn`t you just buy, AND put me on "ignore"...:rotfl: As I have said many times it doesn`t end when you buy into a property bubble, you have to then convince others to do the same for real peace of mind ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure