Debenhams/Santander....saying she ticked the box

My sister made a PPI claim on her Debenhams card, she had a letter back from Santander with a copy showing that "she" ticked the box. She clearly didn't as the person in store filled out the form and had very large writing whereas my sister has small writing and is clearly left handed.

My question is has anyone managed to dispute "the tick" question.

She originally contacted Genworth but was referred to Santander, has anyone had success in going back to Genworth with this kind of dispute.

Any help would be much appreciated.....I really need to help her as she has little time on her hands being a full time carer. This could be a large claim and I don't want her letting it slip away.
Sunshine

Comments

• Carriem
    Carriem Posts: 12 Forumite
    Can I ask how old her card is? I am having trouble with Santander not finding my account with debenhams after originally saying they could? Sorry I can't answer about the tick box but mine was probably very similar as I was stood in front of the lady whilst she phoned through! I didn't even know what PPI was!
  • Lisa0812
    Lisa0812 Posts: 73
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Going through this at the mo. They stated in my "Claim Declined" letter that if I could show evidence of not working on the day I supposedly signed up for PPI, then they would look again at my claim. I have now sent them definitive proof from the HMRC that I was not working on the date somebody ticked the box. Waiting game now.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 20 August 2016 at 12:35PM
    Sunshine62 wrote: »
    My sister made a PPI claim on her Debenhams card, she had a letter back from Santander with a copy showing that "she" ticked the box. She clearly didn't as the person in store filled out the form and had very large writing whereas my sister has small writing and is clearly left handed.

Any help would be much appreciated.....I really need to help her as she has little time on her hands being a full time carer. This could be a large claim and I don't want her letting it slip away.

Yes, in short (successfully argued that insurance cover box at the bottom of the CCA had not been ticked). I found the carbon copy - which was not ticked - from a Style card back from around 1998. Plus was a student at the time so PPI was neither requested nor needed. [Some staff had targets and incentives for signing up for such insurance cover back then so it's hardly surprising some fraud went on]

Although had to refer the matter to the Ombudsman (FOS). RBS eventually paid out. They've taken over the historic liability from the then finance company in Scotland, in the same way Santander are dealing with the liability from store cards from the then Arcadia Group [Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins, Top Shop, etc]
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Carriem wrote: »
    Can I ask how old her card is? I am having trouble with Santander not finding my account with debenhams after originally saying they could? Sorry I can't answer about the tick box but mine was probably very similar as I was stood in front of the lady whilst she phoned through! I didn't even know what PPI was!

Cannot remember without looking at it but I know the date they refer to in the letter is not the day she opened the account as dates do not correspond but its early 2000s. The card was a Debenhams and the writing on it is massive as is the tick, definitely not my sisters writing.
    Sunshine
  • Mersey, thanks but don't think my sister has the original, she was however able to provide them with the account number (closed)
    Sunshine
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2016 at 5:17PM
    Sunshine62 wrote: »

She originally contacted Genworth but was referred to Santander, has anyone had success in going back to Genworth with this kind of dispute.

What proof did you provide that she didn't sign off the form after the tick and that the signature was forged? Or that it was ticked after she signed and left the store?

With the case provided above by Mersey, the store staff committed fraud by ticking the box after they left the store, the original copy is proof of that. If you have that proof then provide it. However, that is very likely to be a tiny number of cases where staff were either knowingly acting illegally or were told to do something. In normal cases you would question why this charge was on your account when you got your first statement given you didn't agree to it and the charge would be a few pounds, refunded, PPI removed, case closed. How it went on for years without being raised is amazing.

The fact it was ticked by someone else is irrelevant, the store staff would simply have gone though what the policy was, your sister agreed to it and then signed it off. If she didn't want it she would simply have refused to sign the form if it was pre-ticked.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,044
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The card was a Debenhams and the writing on it is massive as is the tick, definitely not my sisters writing.

That is not evidence of any wrongdoing. It could be that it was not ticked but when asked she agreed to it and the shop assistant ticked it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Lisa0812
    Lisa0812 Posts: 73
    Forumite
    Hi

Found out this morning that I am getting £1,145.67 from Santander on my old (1998) Debenhams card.

Sent me the copy of form with ticked box etc, but I sent evidence from HMRC of not working at the time and have had a result.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Forumite
    Lisa0812 wrote: »
    Hi

Found out this morning that I am getting £1,145.67 from Santander on my old (1998) Debenhams card.

Sent me the copy of form with ticked box etc, but I sent evidence from HMRC of not working at the time and have had a result.

Which is fine as your case is separate as you were not working when the PPI was taken out as per your other post
  • Nasqueron wrote: »
    Which is fine as your case is separate as you were not working when the PPI was taken out as per your other post

Neither was my sister working. She did try to cancel it but they kept telling her that her husband would be covered.

How does she go about getting evidence from the HMRC
    Sunshine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family