iPhone 4 screen needs replaced

Options

Comments

• Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    D.A. wrote: »
    The LCD screen is the part you need, since that's what cracked.

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, don't attempt it yourself. An iPhone 4 screen replacement is not an easy thing to do, plus you'll need the specific tools to be able to do it.

Thanks! I wouldn't be doing it but a friend might!
  • julie97au
    julie97au Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    D.A. wrote: »
    Hang on - was this a screen repair you left it in for?

A dead pixel could only normally be fixed by replacing the screen with another one.

Yes, it was a badly cracked screen - which he replaced, but there was 1 tiny, tiny pin sized dot on the top right corner, which I wouldnt even have noticed had he not pointed it out - he replaced the screen, but think it must have been something for under the screen. To be honest, I didn't really take in what he was saying as I was really happy to be getting it fixed at such a decent price.
    If my post helps you, please click the 'thanks' button. :T
  • flipperni
    flipperni Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2014 at 4:40AM
    Options
    The guy local to us charges £35 For full LCD and takes around 30 to 40 minutes. If buying on Ebay or Amazon read the reviews before you buy. There is a lot of junk out there. Check on Facebook as they often advertise on there.
  • Jo4
    Options
    flipperni wrote: »
    The guy local to us charges £35 For full LCD and takes around 30 to 40 minutes. If buying on Ebay or Amazon read the reviews before you buy. There is a lot of junk out there. Check on Facebook as they often advertise on there.

Thanks! Can I ask if he is working in a shop and if so what the name of the shop is as I may be where you have stated your location is in the coming days?
  • mark206000
    mark206000 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    I used to fix these. Probably done about 50 iphone4's. The LCD and outer glass both need replaced if either is broken. They are bonded together and cannot be separated, even tho you see them sold separate on ebay etc!

If your near Belfast take it to iphonebits up near Newtownabbey.

You can do it yourself. A very good picture guide is here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Display+Assembly+Replacement/11755

Harder than it looks, small insignificant looking bits that are easy broken will knacker the phone so be very careful.

Tip is draw out the phone as you disassemble it and use bluetac to keep the screws on the drawing so you know exactly where they've come from. Some screws are ever so slightly longer than others and putting a long screw in a short hole can break whatever is underneath.

You'll need a pentalobe screwdriver to get the back off, if buying a front assembly off ebay it might come with.

It's easily doable with the above guide, care and patience !
  • Jo4
    Options
    mark206000 wrote: »
    I used to fix these. Probably done about 50 iphone4's. The LCD and outer glass both need replaced if either is broken. They are bonded together and cannot be separated, even tho you see them sold separate on ebay etc!

If your near Belfast take it to iphonebits up near Newtownabbey.

You can do it yourself. A very good picture guide is here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Display+Assembly+Replacement/11755

Harder than it looks, small insignificant looking bits that are easy broken will knacker the phone so be very careful.

Tip is draw out the phone as you disassemble it and use bluetac to keep the screws on the drawing so you know exactly where they've come from. Some screws are ever so slightly longer than others and putting a long screw in a short hole can break whatever is underneath.

You'll need a pentalobe screwdriver to get the back off, if buying a front assembly off ebay it might come with.

It's easily doable with the above guide, care and patience !

Thanks for your help. I don't reside near Belfast and I am not sure when I will be that way again - possibly next month?!?
  • flipperni
    flipperni Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Thanks! Can I ask if he is working in a shop and if so what the name of the shop is as I may be where you have stated your location is in the coming days?

He works from the house here is his Facebook page name, he is in the Waterside area. He seems to get good reviews.

‎I-phones Fixed Derry.
  • Jo4
    Options
    He works from the house here is his Facebook page name, he is in the Waterside area. He seems to get good reviews.

‎I-phones Fixed Derry.

Thank you!! Have you any idea what time or days he works?
  • Jo4
    Options

‎I-phones Fixed Derry.

Tried the two numbers on the Facebook page, one is going directly to an answering machine whie the other was answered by a male who said something about number while what sounding like losing network and then the phone went dead.
  • flipperNI_2
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Tried the two numbers on the Facebook page, one is going directly to an answering machine whie the other was answered by a male who said something about number while what sounding like losing network and then the phone went dead.

Sorry i have no idea what times he works. I sent him a pm on facebook and he got back to me. I havnt left the phone in yet as it's my daughters and she keeps forgetting to give it to me. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure