Food in hand luggage?

Someone has told me that they had food items taken away which they had in their hand luggage, apparently for "security reasons". I thought that it was liquids which were restriced, and that food was ok - we are talking about a sandwich, crisps and a chocolate bar. We are going to Spain shortly and planned to take our own "picnic" for the flight rather than suffer the in-flight meal - are we OK to do this or will it be confiscated?

Comments

• bouquiniste
    bouquiniste Posts: 35 Forumite
    Unless it's one of the products banned for health reasons (e.g. avian flu) then generally no, they shouldn't take it from you but check with the airline to be on the safe side, and maybe with Spanish Customs rules. Consuming your own alcohol on flights is a no-go, however.

See here for liquids rules:
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airtravel/airportsecurity
  • cundall
    cundall Posts: 859 Forumite
    yesterday on Jet2 no problems,
    2 weeks ago on ryan air no problems and
    3 weeks ago on thompson no prolems with food

They were flown from Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester if that makes any difference (ane two did contain chicken though no for me!)

Should really have no problems... though you always get one person who is in a bad mood!
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Among the liquid and semi-liquid things that are not allowed, ‘soft cheese’ is on the list.

I have no idea, if they lift up the top slice on a sarnie to check, whether or not the camembert is too runny.
  • WHA
    WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Many thanks, that's put my mind at rest.
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We flew from Liverppol a month ago and took food but there was a sign up at security banning food ( which we ignored)
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • Flew with Ryanair two weeks ago from Liverpool to Alicante. No problems taking food onto plane. Loads of people did it. Enjoy your hols
  • bestyman wrote: »
    there was a sign up at security banning food ( which we ignored)
    Do you drink and drive too? Or take things from shops without paying for them?

Airport security firms have no financial relationship with airport shops or the airlines, so they're not stopping you bringing your own food just to make you purchase theirs.

The Government (the Department for Transport to be precise) decides what you can and can't take through airport security - the least you could do is abide by the rules, whether you agree with them or not. Is it any wonder the queues are so long with the staff having to waste time checking/removing/rechecking items that shouldn't be taken through in the first place?!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you drink and drive too? Or take things from shops without paying for them?

The Government (the Department for Transport to be precise) decides what you can and can't take through airport security - the least you could do is abide by the rules, whether you agree with them or not.

What a sanctimonious response !

The Government has done many things, but they haven't banned you from taking food onto an aeroplane. Unless it contravenes the "liquids" rules.

It's bit rich to accuse someone who seems to know the law better than you - of drink driving and shop lifting !!!!
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you moonrakerz nothing much to add really other than like the OP we were unsure if food was allowed on or not so made enquiries that suggested that food was allowed as long as it was in solid form.
    Having made said sandwiches and arrived at security we see a sign saying that "no food was to be taken past this point". As we had now two sets of conflicting information we chose to ignore the sign as we thought a government website was more likely to be accurate than an old A4 word doc stuck up at Liverpool airport.

In response to your question I am not a thief nor a drink driver . In future to save yourself from further embaresment perhaps you should ask for further information before adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 .
    If you do have a point to prove on a forum simply stating your reasons would suffice, this way we can have a debate and help the OP. Implying I am a criminal is really not neccesary and serves no purpose.
    Regards
    Mark
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Actually I'm pretty sure that the security staff are employed by the airport, not the government. So if they've decided to have a "no food past security" rule chances are it has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with increasing retailers' and airlines' profits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure