B and Q delivery charges

Options
Martina_2
Martina_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 7 August 2010 at 2:54PM in Consumer rights
I went to buy a kitchen sink at a local B&Q to be told that they don't stock the sinks in store and that it would have to be ordered. That was fine until I was told I would have to pay £15 delivery charge to my home. I was quite happy to collect it from the store but they don't allow this. Is this not a rip off or what. Why should a customer be forced into paying delivery charges when they don't want the item delivered. I have phoned B&Q help line but they just told me that was their rules. Can I insist on collecting from the store?

Comments

• Martina_2
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. However the reserve and collect service is only for items that are available to buy in store. The sink I want is not available in store- it has to be ordered. However I think it is delivered to the store in a bulk delivery and then to my home. I just don't see why they can't keep it in the store for me to collect.
  • adam.mt
    adam.mt Posts: 381 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2010 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Martina wrote: »
    However I think it is delivered to the store in a bulk delivery and then to my home.

What makes you think that?
    I just don't see why they can't keep it in the store for me to collect.

I would have thought it more likely to be shipped as a single item from B&Q's central depot direct to your address than to go via your local B&Q since the carriage charges would be identical and it's less convoluted. (With virtually all UK couriers shipping something 200 miles costs the same as 20, it's a blanket national charge).

However they want to do it, you either except the charge and purchase the goods or go elsewhere; they don't have a monopoly on the market for kitchen sinks! Vote with your wallet.
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    I went to buy a kitchen sink at a local B&Q to be told that they don't stock the sinks in store and that it would have to be ordered. That was fine until I was told I would have to pay £15 delivery charge to my home. I was quite happy to collect it from the store but they don't allow this. Is this not a rip off or what. Why should a customer be forced into paying delivery charges when they don't want the item delivered. I have phoned B&Q help line but they just told me that was their rules. Can I insist on collecting from the store?

You have absolutely no rights to enforce any terms in to a sale that the company do not want to agree to. It's their property!

They don't have to sell to you at all, just like you don't have to buy from them.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its £15 for delivery for a sink, thats hardly alot is it,
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wickes also charge for delivery of a not in stock item, but will allow you to collect item from store without charge.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a 'rip off'! I'm sick to the back teeth of 'scam' and 'rip off' posts on MSE.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Buy the sink elsewhere from a company that will let you pick it up?

(I believe Screwfix tend to sell pretty much the same items...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Martina_2
    Options
    adam.mt wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

I would have thought it more likely to be shipped as a single item from B&Q's central depot direct to your address than to go via your local B&Q since the carriage charges would be identical and it's less convoluted. (With virtually all UK couriers shipping something 200 miles costs the same as 20, it's a blanket national charge).

However they want to do it, you either except the charge and purchase the goods or go elsewhere; they don't have a monopoly on the market for kitchen sinks! Vote with your wallet.

I phoned B&Q helpline and I was told it would be shipped from the main depot with bulk orders. If it was shipped as a single item why would I Have to wait 10 days for it.

I did price sinks beforehand and B&Q was the best. Even with the delivery charge it is still a good price. It is just that it is a hidden charge that I didn't expect.
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    Did you even read the OP? they have no reason to complain[QUOTE

Did you not read the OP when it stated ? :
    Why should a customer be forced into paying delivery charges when they don't want the item delivered. I have phoned B&Q help line but they just told me that was their rules. Can I insist on collecting from the store?

The OP has reason to complain so get a life !!:p:p:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport