PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :wave:

I went to Tesco yesterday and managed to get a couple of bargains including a pack of ready to eat pears which are still not quite ripe. I spent just under £20 as I needed bread, a chicken and milk etc. To be honest I forgot I was doing this challenge so a few things went into the trolley that I didn't really need :o. Luckily I didn't spend too much as I have a tesco home delivery arriving tomorrow.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    nsd yesterday, yippee!! hoping to last until the weekend. xx
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pamsdish wrote: »
    £39 between Morries and Lidl, should keep me going for a week or so.
    Realised £15 of that was bulk buy coffee, so need to adjust my figures,
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Shopping day for me later. Last week took advantage of an offer and long EXP dates so have yoghurts for the rest of the month. Also enough tinned toms and stock cubes for a minute. Have run out of annoying things like salt and pepper and a couple of types of dried beans so they will all need to be bought tonight. Also frozen l;inda m sausages as I had jambalaya all prepped then realised I had miscalculated and had no sausages!!!

I had some random veg to use up so last night I put some butter beans on to soak, then dug out the slow cooker (right at the back of a bottom cupboard - thetype that uses the spare space up...hard work!) and chopped up red onion, garlic, the end of a butternut, a big carrot, a green pepper and two small red peppers,
    and a green chilli and some fresh parsley, added 2 stock cubes, 2 bay leaves, a couple of tbsps of sundried tomato paste, some dried mixed herbs, and salt and pepper, and i just left all that overnight in teh SC with the lid on (not cooking) as there's nothing to go off... this morning i added the overnight soaked butter beans and topped all off with water and have left it on low. I hope it cooks everything ok and will be nice... my first time trying this!! I looked up about the beans online and in theory because I soaked 8 hours they should be cooked bythe time i get to eat, maybe 11 hours on low in total??
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all,

Ran round Aldi yesterday, spent £51 that included cat food, larger and Coffee for me for work.

Off to update my siggy
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Spent £18.49, bit more than I expected. Got a few of the new Tesco free from cheeses, the Jalapeno one is nice, also got a blue cheese, loads of veg, salad etc., plus bought my 1kg jar of minced garlic, which i freeze in ice cube trays and decant, 'cause i'm lazy. Hoping to not spend for a week or so - #FamousLastWords - have updated sig.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ooh Save Dosh hope they have them in mine too! Although actually I really shouldn't have any more "treat" vegan stuff stuff this month!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Obvs hubby didn't keep receipts for his shop yesterday but it was about £15 so I'm going to count that. We shouldn't need anything else until next week now.

£21.38/£100
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Spent £90.22 in two spends so far this month. DH has just had his 70th birthday so I pushed the boat out for that occasion. Leaves me with £59.78 for the rest of the month but I should be OK as we've plenty in the freezers. I probably will just need fresh veg and fruit.

I think I'll try and rack up the NSDs as a personal challenge so I don't get tempted to visit the shops which will be my problem. I will try to keep busy and not think about shopping - maybe my veg plot can keep me occupied as I need to plant out the potatoes.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Nsd yesterday. Was soooo tempted to go into morries after sw, as it's right next door, but forced myself not to go. I'm on holiday on Tuesday, and I've so much stuff that needs eating, so I really can't shop! I came home and made a jacket with cheese and salad instead.

Nsd planned for today too, for the same reason! I'm working late though, so I'll need to have great willpower as it'll be about ys time...

Have a great day :)
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport