PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It is tough NOW. So how are we coping

Comments

• Great thread so thanks for starting it!

I have been at this game all my life but really knuckled down a couple of years ago when hubby wasn't enjoying his job and we were being influenced by spending relatives (buying kids presents etc) anyway, I decided that the best thing to do was to pay off our mortgage which is what I am currently working on with the support of the mfi3 club (on the mrtgage fee wannabee board) please see my sig..

I have cut things down to the bone but funnily enough, no one seems to notice! I can't be bothered to hide basics brands in luxury packging but I am lucky that my family are good and will try anythiing anyway.

Clothes: I kit out my entire family off the '3 for a £1' rail at the local charity shop. I've had good brands such as next, m&s, jane norman etc and look new.

Transport: I scrapped my car due to it being on its last legs and bought a 2nd hand bike with triple panniers, I cycle everywhere now, work and shopping and love it. I feel healthier, eco friendly and its faster, plus I don't buy so much because I have to lug it home! OH has a car but its bought and paid for and we go on holiday in it so I suppose it works hard for its upkeep!

Food: I make a point of not throwing anything away, use less and veggie more often also grow my own. I made some muffins the other day out of leftover porridge, 1/2 a manky banana and an over ripe pear! Recipes for using up leftovers are muffins (for sweet things) carbonara, stews, soups and even lasagne (its amazing what you can hide in those pasta dishes!) I use the remoska and have saved energy also capped tariff from scottish power helped.

I try to find the cheapest option while still searching for good quality, its a challenge! Today the kids were of so we cycled to the local town (about 5 mile round trip) and i took sarnies and a flask and got them a bun fom Birds as a treat, we sat and had our 'picnic' on a bench outside Argos and looked at the xmas trees in the window (which do you like the best etc..) we had a great time and when we got home they said thanks for a lovely day mum! Before I would have gone in the car, to a cafe, etc bought stuff I didn't need and it doesn't make you any happier.

Hidden Bonus: my kids are becoming frugal, we are all much happier and find happiness in simple things, we decide what we want to do in life rather then what is dictated by peer group pressure and advertising.

One happy bunny! :) Good luck everyone
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Having seen the writing on the wall last year we sold our house in May and moved into rental. It is a small house and easy to keep warm.

We only eat meat once or twice a week.

Keep the costs of food down - make all own bread, buy value

We only run one car

The savings go out of the bank before we spend anything

I use my bus pass to get to the charity shop. Now there's an eye opener! Most of the people I see buying are foreign. I buy my share - dh says he thinks I'm smuggling the shop home bit by bit.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We were fortunate enough to pay off the mortgage a while ago (courtesy of my share of the proceeds of sale of house I used to share with the ex).

I have the final say before we make a major spend, as I am better with money than Mr LW. - Indeed, I got him out of the financial mire when we first met, and he is now more than happy to leave the household finances to me and my trusty Excel spreadsheet!:o

We only have the two of us to worry about, no dependent family, which makes things easier.

We enjoy doing what he calls "domestic stuff" together, cooking from scratch, even cleaning and dull stuff like that.;)

We do have some indulgences, we like to visit the pub, and we have opera tickets for Friday, but we know we could knock all that on the head if the situation went belly-up.

We got rid of our two elderly rather large cars, and bought one smaller one (but big enough to haul my wheelchair easily) and I now have a mobility scooter so that I can get around locally if need be.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nice new thread, good idea

Well got me thinking as the old thread is 2 years old,
    then I didn't have to worry about money.
    DH and I both had good incomes and only debt was a small mortgage. Adult DS and DD at college both financially independent.

This year I was made redundant in September and DH had a pay cut in order to keep his job.
    But we could see this coming and thanks to here, had prepared for it using all the good ideas that as a group we can and do share.

Last years 4 holidays (3 abroad) this year a weekend at centreparcs:D

I grew up as a child with money
    then as a young adult without any.....heat or eat stuff
    then as a mature adult with money
    and now its looks like without again but not as bad as before
    So I know easier times must be round the corner in due course

and I have come to love moneysaving, makes you feel good doesn't it ;)
  • Thanks for starting this thread. One thing that'll get us through it all is a bit of Old-Style solidarity as well. :) *hugs* I think I've come a long way since this site. Now, we tend to put on more clothing when it's colder instead of putting the heating on - also, usually the only time we're in is in the evening so we light candles to give light and heat. I also invested in a great big snuggly blanket which has given the OH and I some really good quality time.

I plan all my meals and make things pretty much from scratch, making the best of reduced items and making good use of multibuy offers with my friends (when I can split the cost and offers with them where I won't use much of it :) ). I try to think of buying clothes as an investment (and staying pretty much the same shape to keep it that way!) and only buy classic pieces in sales so that I can make the most of the bargains when I need to. I use Stardrops (it really is amazing) and clean little and often, and honestly find myself enjoying my life a lot more now I've cut back on things that don't really matter. I have taken up crafting and regularly knit presents for friends and family, and took up cross stitch at work in my lunch hour so I don't go into town and spend my money :D

I do competitions and look for as many freebies and offers as I can. And hopefully we'll ride this out ok. Thank you all though :)
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • abaxas
    abaxas Posts: 4,141 Forumite
    Loving it!

I dont know why but I've always thrived when things are bad. If anything all this frugality has improved the quality of my life. Especially in terms of food, never ate so well ever.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    abaxas wrote: »
    Loving it!

I dont know why but I've always thrived when things are bad. If anything all this frugality has improved the quality of my life. Especially in terms of food, never ate so well ever.

In other words, things were better when they were worse! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • abaxas
    abaxas Posts: 4,141 Forumite
    Caterina wrote: »
    In other words, things were better when they were worse! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Caterina

I think you might be right. Possession and consumption doesn't appear to make me happy. I thrive on value, fit for purpose and home cooked food!

However, I do like my toys. Question is, sausage making attachment for the kenwood or not. Maybe I should ask SWIMBO for one for xmas. :T
  • What a lovely new thread! Thank you Kittie,you are a star.:T

Well,I went back to work in Feb(weekends at the local supermarket) to help increase our income.Weekends works best for us at the mo,I stay at home with the boys during the week(3 and 17mths) and hubby takes over at the weekend so no childcare costs.This has certainly helped and we are managing to pay of our debts steadily.

I have taken on board all I have read on this site and cook from scratch.Does help that I love cooking..and eating:D . Always try to use up all our leftovers and the reduced stickers make me smile.Working at the supermarket has also meant staff discount and staff shopping aisle-dented tins galore!

Our car is now a car share with a friend.I dont drive and hubby takes the train to work.Shared costs helps.And we have a car when needed.

Heating is switched on only when needed-to warm the bathroom and bedroom for the boys.Us grown ups snuggle on the sofa with our blankys,so much cosier.

There is so much more,though what I have learnt is to appreciate what I do have-my beautiful family and friends and that a good giggle does make a lot of things seem easier.
  • Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Definatly more frugal now than 2 years ago, mainly out of necessity but I find my life is so more rewarding now. Got made redundant so now a SAHM and love it! I feel much more rewarded in spending a little time to plan what to spend our money on than I was before on 2 generous salaries. Yes we've cut corners and changed things but I can't think of any changes that haven't been for the better. Of course there are a number of things we won't compromise on and we all have different priorities but I wouldn't look back. We've managed for the last few months which have been tight but things are looking better for 09, DD2 will be 3 so nursery costs will be reduced, DH starts new job with pay rise, interest rate cut means we're better off cos of mortgage payment so bizarrely we're entering/already in recession but I'm more financially confident than I was 6 months ago. We will even have £300+ left after xmas from the savings as we're conciously spending less this year than previous years!

I do worry about the people who haven't had the time to make adjustments and savings before now, theres going to be some painful times coming up for some people and I wish them all the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure