Divorce questions - house purchased since split

I have a fairly specific question.....that I can't find an answer to and wondered if there was anyone on here in a similar situation that could advise. I will speak to a solicitor, but sometimes real life is more....realistic?!

So - my husband, 18 months after we married, decided he wanted a divorce. This left me homeless (we lived in a rented cottage, his name only, where he still lives). I moved into a house that my father purchased. I have a mortgage for the max I could get (low earner). So , the house cost 200k, Dad put in £130k (from the sale of his house in 2012, he lives on a boat). My mortgage is for the balance, over 35 years. I couldn't have a joint mortgage with Dad due to his age (so 70k).

We're in the final stages of the divorce. The problem is with the court form, Statement of Information/Summary of Means. It requests a figure for property, net of any mortgage and says that I should fill this in as at the present time. So, on paper, it appears that I have 130k lying round in a house - but I don't, it was Dad's. Dad will live in the house with me during winter when he's not on the boat and as he gets older/if he needs to sell the boat then he'll be there full time.

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, how did you complete the form accurately? There's only space for a figure, although it does say I can use an additional sheet - should I write the above?!

Also - do I have to fill my address in? I'd rather he didn't know where I was!

Comments

• emmatthews
    emmatthews Posts: 678 Forumite
    Was the 130k declared as a gift during the mortgage application?
  • Yes it was
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    It may be that your ex has no intention at all of trying to make any claim whatsoever on assets you have acquired since you separated but you must get proper legal advice on this, just in case he does. Because the marriage did not last very long, which is a very important factor in considering financial settlements, your ex may not have a claim at all. And your ex may also have acquired considerable assets since you separated even though he still lives in a rented property. Ask your solicitor for advice on completing the form.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure