Present for mum getting remarried

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No need for gifts you being there is enough to know you care.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you're wanting to turn up on the day with something tangible to give them, Thornton's do a chocolate champagne bottle with chocolate 'bubbles' - I've bought it a few times for those 'what the heck do we get them' moments.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is going empty handed on the day a big issue? In my esperience, at weddings the gits are usually stacked on a tabel somewhere and the couple take them home andopen them later.

But if you are concered, then you could turn up with a card, and write a note in it to say that you will be providingthem with some framed photos of their big day.

Another non-bulky think would be a hand written letter congratulating them, telling your new step-dad how welcome he is to the family and wishing them al lthe best. You could if you wanted add in something about when you first know he was the right person for mum, or mention particualrly nice memories you have of the two of them.

It's the sort of thing which would be treasured as it is so personal, and, particualrly with a 2nd marriage, really welcoming andsupportive. Plus tis very personal, and it is not clutter.

Include a bottle of champagne or a wine that you think they will like as well, if you like.

I wouldn't go for engraved glasses unless you're sure that that is something they would realy like.

another option (which takes a bit more work, but might be doable,depending on the logistics of the day) would be to print off a phont during the day and give it to them in a frame.

When my sistergot married, one of the guests who was also acting as photographer had brought a small printer with him. When the speeches and first dance were finished, he slipped out to a sde room where he plugged in the printed, picked a couple of pictures and printed them stright off the memory card, and gave them to my sister and her new husband in a frame just before they left the reception.

Another option might be something such as a minature rose bush - you could probably find one with red roses, in bloom, if you wanted. Romantic, fiarly low cost, and not too cluttery as they can be planted out in due course.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • pirateyqueen
    pirateyqueen Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I like the idea of a frame or photo album that I can then fill. Me pet-sitting for them is a non starter. I live in London, wheres they're in the West Midlands, and I can't drive so wouldn't be able to take the dogs out!
    No more goo hoarding!

2018 UU: 9 IN: 1 TA: 0 Total: 58/67
    2017 UU: 50 IN: 16 TA: 2 Total: 42/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    People with dogs tend to take them wherever they go. But if you think they would be like some dog free time, maybe a voucher for a company like this? https://www.sitywalks.com/ But only if you are SURE they would ilke it, that it wouldn't offend them.
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Framed photo's or drawings of their pets perhaps. You can commission some artists to draw from photo's or some do pet sittings , it would depend on convenience and budget.

I would love something like this.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • If you have contact with her partner and his possible offspring, you could try to prepare a so-called wedding magazine- http://photobooklets.wordpress.com/article/the-special-gift-with-lasting-value-the-1z79k472q3du2-12/ - where you tell the story of their life leading up to the wedding. Make a small print run for all the guests.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    How about theatre tickets with dinner. Most people live reasonably near a theatre and like to go to a show - a play or a musical. Would give them an outing even if they can't leave the pets.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I like the idea of a frame or photo album that I can then fill. Me pet-sitting for them is a non starter. I live in London, wheres they're in the West Midlands, and I can't drive so wouldn't be able to take the dogs out!

I can tell you don't have a dog; when you take a dog out your supposed to take it for a walk not a ride in a car!. So there is no reason why can't look after their pets for them.

Plus it would be a much more thoughtful present than just buying a frame from a shop and telling them you will put a photo in it later.
  • takman wrote: »
    I can tell you don't have a dog; when you take a dog out your supposed to take it for a walk not a ride in a car!. So there is no reason why can't look after their pets for them.

Plus it would be a much more thoughtful present than just buying a frame from a shop and telling them you will put a photo in it later.

They talk them nice long walks around the common, which is a drive away. There are no fields or anything near their house, just concreted pavements. Not good enough for pooches who are used to hour plus walks around nice fields and wooded areas!
    No more goo hoarding!

2018 UU: 9 IN: 1 TA: 0 Total: 58/67
    2017 UU: 50 IN: 16 TA: 2 Total: 42/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts