PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First Time Buyer - Wheres best to buy stuff to kit out the new home?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,466
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    The trouble with Argos for things like beds and sofas is that you can't try them out beforehand though.
    Futuristic wrote: »
    Sofas & bed mattresses you probably want to check out in person but the frame you can get online for decent prices.

Agree - although groupon and the like offer them now and it is very common to buy them online. Loads of people leave reviews which can help, and lots of companies offer money back guarantees - or 'try for X number of months'.

I bought a 'comfort mattress' and bedframe in Argos several years ago for a guest room, but I now sleep on that mattress. Could prob do with a new one now, but it's always been really comfy and was very cheap. Maybe test and buy your own, but if you need a guest one, I'd be buying something similar again. If you do find something you like, google it to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. It may well be on offer via groupon or something.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Ao. Com is great but also check your local independent businesses. When my dishwasher broke I got a decent brand out of a local shop with free removal, free fitting and some tablets/rinse aid cheaper from a local guy then I could find online.
    I ordered a sofa from dfs, when it eventually turned up it wasn't what I ordered and managed to get a lovely sofa delivered within 2 days from The Range and it's fantastic.
    Check out local second hand furniture stores too, I got a 6ft solid vintage sideboard for £80 delivered
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    plenty of second hand stuff out there to get you going.

plenry of beds just need a decent mattress then.

For electrical it is down to who has the deal, AO, currys, hughes... even JL if going main brand check the cashbacks on the site not all get put on the retailers.

soft furniture like sofa often best to get cheap second hand while you settle in and decide how you want your place to develop and chose colors etc.

Much prefer the single comfy recliners over a sofa.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Aren't Ikea beds non-standard sizes? May be something to be aware of if that's likely to be an issue at some point for you.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Look at warehouse sale/clearance stuff at places like john lewis or amazon for example.

You can get white goods with small imperfections on the sides (which you won't see anyway) for a decent chunk of cash off.

Got my brand new fridge freezer for £80 that way.
    *Assuming you're in England or Wales.
  • Ithaca
    Ithaca Posts: 269
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd second wilko for glassware etc - 12 champagne flutes for £6. Not the most delicate glasses but for swigging prosecco at a BBQ with your mates they are great.

We tend to get nearly all of our stuff from Ikea but that's mainly because it's 10 mins down the road and is super convenient. £2.75 for a non-stick frying pan, won't last for 20 yrs but if you're just getting started and are on a budget it's a really cheap way to get set up then you can pick and choose which bits to upgrade.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Slinky wrote: »
    Aren't Ikea beds non-standard sizes? May be something to be aware of if that's likely to be an issue at some point for you.
    Not anymore, they now sell standard UK sized beds and mattresses.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree that buying the appliances online is best. Say £700 for the 3 you mention.

A bed I'd be looking for a good wooden frame on gumtree or similar, £100. Mattress from a local warehouse place, say £400. And a sofa locally too, or possibly groupon. £1000.

Leaves you with change.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,058
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    New cheap furniture won't last, but it will be cheap and get you by for a couple of years. If you are likely to keep changing your style it could be a good approach.
    I've used that approach twice when starting afresh although we didn't have EBay/gumtree or even the internet in those days.
    If you want quality I would recommend either second hand good quality stuff or try getting a local cabinet maker to make items, it's surprisingly cheaper than the likes of Neptune, and their stuff is made cheaply in China!
    I would second AO for white goods etc
  • Surely this all depends on your taste. When I bought my house people assumed I would be spending lots of time in Ikea. Not my style, thanks.

I've got good second hand pieces from the local BHF shop. Got a new fridge from Currys as they delivered at weekends; unless you can work from home it gets annoying very quickly having to use annual leave for house stuff.

If your budget is tight I would prioritise a decent mattress and get a second hand sofa which you can customise with a throw.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport