Cat bad behaviour (wanting food)

13»

Comments

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    You see, both your cats are a prime example of eating junk food. Two pouches a day plus kibble left out 24/7 is equivalent to a human eating high carb/junk food at every meal plus snacking in between.

You already admit they're overweight and I'm sure you'd find they're far from healthy if you did a full health screen - blood tests, scans etc.

Those cats are 15 years old so the owner must be doing something right - your post is a bit harsh to be honest
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just to really ram the point home that all cats are different ...

My cat could get fat by just sniffing food. I don't know how she does it. We've had her thyroid checked and all manner of blood tests, but they're all negative.

She was on 60g of dry and one sachet a day and she was getting bigger and bigger ...

Now she's on 55g of a decent high protein dry and half a pot of Almo Nature every other day and she's in much better shape. Doesn't ask for food either.

It also depends on how much exercise your cat gets. More exercise = hungrier cat.

I'd have a trip to the vet to check for a medical problem. But one warning - don't accept any Hills Prescription food. Vets peddle it as being the best pet food ever. It's not. My cat piled weight on and was sluggish with it.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 October 2016 at 8:32PM
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    You see, both your cats are a prime example of eating junk food. Two pouches a day plus kibble left out 24/7 is equivalent to a human eating high carb/junk food at every meal plus snacking in between.

You already admit they're overweight and I'm sure you'd find they're far from healthy if you did a full health screen - blood tests, scans etc.

One of my cats is overweight - not both.

For what it's worth, they've both been blood tested and urine tested recently and both are fine according to the vet and I will go with the vet's expertise.

My mum's cat lived to 19 years old living on junk food.

Years ago, before all this "health food" for cats, we fed our cats on horrible looking stuff out of tins as that was all that was available and all of our cats lived to their late teens early 20's.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Two pouches is nowhere near enough, for a 4kg four 100g pouches are advised for a high meat content food, more would be needed if the food is in jelly, gravy and has a low meat content. Hunger is not poor behaviour.

Be careful with dry, it can cause all sorts of health problems and makes males more susceptible to urinary blockages.

My cat is pushing 5kg, Vet happy her weight is in proportion to size, she's tall & long.

She has one 100g pouch of wet in the morning & a small cat bowl of biscuits in the evening. I don't top up the dry food because she really likes it & would over eat.

She doesn't ask for more and is perfectly healthy on that amount.

According to the food packets we are practically starving her lol!
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Given that many cats eat in more than one home and also kill things, unless they're indoor cats, I don't really see how anybody can know exactly what their cat eats.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    KxMx wrote: »
    She has one 100g pouch of wet in the morning & a small cat bowl of biscuits in the evening. I don't top up the dry food because she really likes it & would over eat.

Pretty much the same as my cat - She gets a bowl with a small handful of dry put down in the morning, although she doesn't usually eat any of it until mid afternoon. In the evening, just one pouch of wet, and that keeps her going overnight.

Being a 15 year old mog that is scared of anything and everything, she spends most of her time curled up asleep. Exercise for her is plodding down the stairs to the food bowl or litter tray.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I have 4 cats - 2 are 16yrs old and 2 are... well 2 years old. Boy and girl of each age.

Firstly - feeding purely wet is terrible for your cats teeth - this is why so many moggies need their teeth cleaned or pulled! If you fed a natural diet there would be bones, gristle and even veggies and stuff in the prey tummies.
    Second - feed the best you can afford - I don't mean the most expensive, but the best... And some brands work better for some, whilst disagree massively for others.

My cats have a mix of wet and dry - in summer they get very little wet because they always leave some and I HATE flies! In winter they get more pouches (tried tins but the two older ones who need it more won't eat it so it just gets left...)

First WORM - if still constantly hungry VETS :)
    I have dry food down 24/7 so all the cats can graze as they please. I buy James Wellbeloved online - much cheaper when you bulk buy and all 4 love it. According to the OAP check up on sunday both are doing amazingly and other than minor tartar build up on the teeth (on one cat and apparently more like a 10 year old... I'll take that!) they are in perfect health and I must be doing something right as neither look or act 16...

So... don't be afraid to feed dry - there were years when mine were on only dry, but they must have access to water and it should be a GOOD dry food :)

SHOULD your cat be prone to urinary problems then you need to re-think the dry food, but otherwise there is no reason to not feed a mainly dry diet, but please get a decent one :) If the cat has a tendency to over eat you will soon notice and then you can reduce the food if need be. Don't make a problem out of something until it actually IS a problem ie over eating :) Mine all manage to stay fit and trim despite 24/7 food access :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    MrsTinks wrote: »
    I have 4 cats - 2 are 16yrs old and 2 are... well 2 years old. Boy and girl of each age.

Firstly - feeding purely wet is terrible for your cats teeth - this is why so many moggies need their teeth cleaned or pulled! If you fed a natural diet there would be bones, gristle and even veggies and stuff in the prey tummies.
    Second - feed the best you can afford - I don't mean the most expensive, but the best... And some brands work better for some, whilst disagree massively for others.

My cats have a mix of wet and dry - in summer they get very little wet because they always leave some and I HATE flies! In winter they get more pouches (tried tins but the two older ones who need it more won't eat it so it just gets left...)

First WORM - if still constantly hungry VETS :)
    I have dry food down 24/7 so all the cats can graze as they please. I buy James Wellbeloved online - much cheaper when you bulk buy and all 4 love it. According to the OAP check up on sunday both are doing amazingly and other than minor tartar build up on the teeth (on one cat and apparently more like a 10 year old... I'll take that!) they are in perfect health and I must be doing something right as neither look or act 16...

So... don't be afraid to feed dry - there were years when mine were on only dry, but they must have access to water and it should be a GOOD dry food :)

SHOULD your cat be prone to urinary problems then you need to re-think the dry food, but otherwise there is no reason to not feed a mainly dry diet, but please get a decent one :) If the cat has a tendency to over eat you will soon notice and then you can reduce the food if need be. Don't make a problem out of something until it actually IS a problem ie over eating :) Mine all manage to stay fit and trim despite 24/7 food access :)

All my cats were fed a predominately dry diet which at the time was either Hills or Royal Canin (wet/raw food was fed sporadically as a treat) until they reached late teens. I then switched to higher protein dried foods but this immediately caused renal problems with one cat so I went back to RC.

I started adding in wet foods such as Applaws to encourage appetite once they reached their 20s, plus fresh prawns, mackerel and chicken.
  • rita-rabbit
    rita-rabbit Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dried food is bad for cats - period. Doesn't clean teeth - would eating biscuits clean your teeth.

I had 2 cats & feed wet & dried. Unfortunately the female was younger & greedier & so the male cat ended up eating mostly dried - he got crystals & later stomach cancer.

I have transitioned surviving cat onto raw - she's alot happier & livelier since this & is using alot less litter also - no SMELLs coming from it. Ocassionally she tries my patience - she doesn't like liver & that's an essential component for a fully balanced diet & then I have to revert to feeding tinned food & slowly reintroduce small peices of raw meat.

She's never had a dental & since the transition her teeth & gums are clean. Previously I used Logic on both cats gums.

The food is poor & so the cat is hungry. Note: surviving cat also had overactive thyroid & the defective part was removed.

I will never feed dried food to any cat I own in my life - it's seriously bad for them.

Raw feeding - done properly is serious moneysaving. V healthy cat - she jumps around like a kitten again - she's 15. Shiney coat & far less poops in the litterbox & no smell. She won't eat bone - again an essential component of a complete diet & so I add crushed eggshells to her meals instead. So I say Vets first, ditch the kibble & feed better quality wet for or raw - esp chunks & cat will cry alot less. You can afford a companion if you transition to raw as expenses drop massively. I feed alot of offal & chicken thighs or wings, albeit she had lamb chops this week due to refusing the recent batch I mixed for her!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure