Should I quit my job without another one lined up

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    I agree that I should be managing and overseeing, not doing, but that is the nature of this business and the big reason why I want to leave.

I'd love to take a lower salaried job with less stress, but this is not a long term solution.

Don't kid yourself that managing & overseeing is easier than doing - it's not at all.

For a 50k a year salary you expect stress or complicated work (or both). If you want a similar salary it's unlikely you will get an easier role.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've left a job several times without another to go to.
    Things seem to work themselves out.
  • I have had an honest chat with my boss.

He sees where I am coming from and can see how I am not happy.

I got the distinct impression that he would not fire me, but he wants me to resign.

I think it is best that I do resign, but I still think that it is better having an income coming in than to leave a job without another lined up.

So nothing has changed, except everyone are at least singing from the same song sheet.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 September 2016 at 9:51PM
    Ok so you have decided to stay miserable.
    Nothing good will come of it, trust me. Keep piling the pressure on and feel trapped - and see where you are in six months time especially now your boss wants you out. not really sure you haven't actualy made things worse for yourself by admitting to your boss

I removed my earlier post as I had poured my heart out over an awful period of my life where I went through similar and it seems to have been for no reason
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover wrote: »
    Ok so you have decided to stay miserable.
    Nothing good will come of it, trust me. Keep piling the pressure on and feel trapped - and see where you are in six months time especially now your boss wants you out. not really sure you haven't actualy made things worse for yourself by admitting to your boss

I removed my earlier post as I had poured my heart out over an awful period of my life where I went through similar and it seems to have been for no reason

Its not that I want to stay miserable, its more that I see that I need money to support my family and getting a job is easier if you are already employed.

I thank you for your honest post earlier and it helped me towards resigning, but I just don't have it in me to do that yet. I need more posts like yours to give me the courage to do what my heart wants to do, rather than letting my head rule me.
  • I haven't posted on here in a long time. In fact it is something I used to do when I was depressed, in a job I hated.

I felt compelled to write something because I recognise the person I used to be when I hear you speak.

I was surrounded by a big dark cloud at work, came home frustrated and then took it out on the family. Arguments and being short-tempered. Felt stuck and didn't know what to do. I wasn't living, just existing.

I kept thinking about leaving, but never had the courage to do it because I was scared of not having a paycheck.

Then last November I was made redundant. The choice was completely taken out of my hands. I was terrified, worried about money.

A year down the line I realise that it was the best thing that could have happened to me. Because suddenly I could breathe again. Instead of being worried about money, my mood, my temper, a crap environment at home, a toxic environment at work, bursting into tears because life was frustrating - suddenly my only issue was money. All the other stuff sort of disappeared.

I decided I was never going to be in a situation like that again. I made a decision that I was going to live the life I wanted. I was going to work at something that inspired me.

After 10 years as an Administration & Compliance Manager for a large UK Publisher earning a good salary, I went back to what I loved doing. Writing.

Long story short, I started my own business. I knew what I was good at and decided that if I worked at things that I was passionate about, life would be a lot better. I was lucky enough to find supportive people. I went looking for motivational things - TED talks, anything that would help me learn how to work for myself.

A year down the line I have my own business, writing, blogging, and working as an Administration Consultant using the skills I had built up over a ten year career. Only this time, I am not an employee of any company I work for - I am freelance and charge double what I used to earn as an employee.

The main thing is that I have become a positive, happy person, instead of a negative, frustrated one.

I don't have to surround myself with toxic people.
    I don't have to commute during rush-hour.
    I don't have to worry about anyone turning off my one salary (I have more than one income stream)
    I don't have to listen to or get involved with the company-speak and politics.
    I have become massively allergic to passive-aggressive people who still work in jobs they hate and spend all their time complaining about it, but are unwilling to change anything.

I don't mean to sound self-righteous, but I understand exactly how you feel. I was there. You will have to make a choice - improving the happiness of your family, or staying in the job to keep a paycheck coming.

If your emotional and mental state remains the same, nothing will change.

From what I can hear you sound educated, intelligent and skilled. If you can muster some motivation to work harder and longer for a short period of time, then there is no reason why you couldn't use your experience to work for yourself and start your own business.

I haven't heard that suggested as yet.

For the longest time I was a person who worked 40 hours a week in a job I hated to earn an okay salary. Now I am a person who works 80 hours a week in a job I love to create multiple revenue streams. I make my own hours and have as much time as I need for my son.

Most of all I am a much happier and nicer person. I say all of the above with good intentions. Life's too short to spend feeling miserable. Hope this helps.
  • Its your decision you should take after better thinking
    I just want to follow this thread as I have just handed my notice in. I have a 3 month notice period to find something else! eek!
  • Lozzaj83,

If you don't mind me asking, just interested to know why you handed your notice in. It is a brave step. Congratulations, if the job was making you miserable.

Now you have 3 months to find something else...or create something else.

There's always another way.

Good luck.
  • lozzaj83
    lozzaj83 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GenericUsername - I have just sent you a PM :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure