Loan activated before kitchen was complete

rainbow143
rainbow143 Posts: 64 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi there,
I have recently had a kitchen from Wickes. I took advantage of the 2 year interest free credit offer they had at the time it was ordered.
The fitter finished the actual cabinets on the 9th February and I had a telephone call from Wickes the next day to check that we were happy with it. I told them that we hadn't had the worktops fitted as they weren't arriving until the following week and there was 1 other issue which needed addressing.
The following day I had an email from Hitachi the finance company welcoming me and saying the first payment would be made on 10th March. So Wickes had activated the loan before the kitchen was actually finished.
I phoned Hitachi and they said that as long as there was a date for completion that was the usual way things were done. I wasn't happy with this really, as if there was a problem with the worktop then I'd have no bargaining power to get it sorted. I also objected to paying for something that wasn't complete.
The worktop has arrived and there are major problems.
I have contacted Hitachi and to be fair they have agreed to defer the first payment to April.
But my query is how could Wickes activate the loan when the contract we had with them hadn't been complete? I foresee problems ahead regarding the issues with the worktop so just want to get my facts right as to where I stand legally with this loan.
Any information will be welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I wasn't happy with this really, as if there was a problem with the worktop then I'd have no bargaining power to get it sorted.
    You wouldn't have in the way you thought anyway. The finance in some respect is an entirely separate issue. You're not paying for something that isn't complete when you start the loan repayments before the kitchen is finished, you're paying for the money you borrowed.

Why do you see issues with the worktop?
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Also be careful, if you decided to stop paying the finance for a month or more, until any issues were sorted out, you'll end up with a black mark on your credit score.

Much better, to continue paying even if you do have problems, then sort it out, rather than get a black mark and have trouble getting it removed.

In short Hitachi are not really interested in anything but getting their money back and any issues, they will direct you to Wickes.
  • nissan_st
    nissan_st Posts: 55 Forumite
    I wouldn't worry too much.
    if you have problems Hitachi section 75 dept will sort wikes out.
    it seems to be standard that the installers get it singed off early
    window companies get there payment on delivery off goods.
    when we were not happy and fell out with a window company Barclays section 75 dept put payment on hold for three months and made the company return to fix all snags.
    although the complaints we had were genuine
    as usual the finance company has all the power the same as when you buy a car and have to complain to them about the dealer.
    if you do it its done
  • rainbow143
    rainbow143 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your replies.
    The worktop is called Slabtech - and it has to be templated and cut in the factory to accommodate the hob, sink etc. Unfortunately the hole for the hob was cut too big - so that definitely has to be replaced. There are other issues also - e.g. it marks and scratches so easily which we were not made aware of when the kitchen was designed.
    We are not actually missing payments - Hitachi have agreed for us to defer the payments till April and they have been excellent up to now - and they have said they will liaise with Wickes regarding the problems. I reported the issues on the 19th Feb and up to now have had no response from Wickes at all, so am hoping Hitachi are getting somewhere with them. So disappointed.
    I feel better having your info regarding the 'section 75 dept' and to know others have had similar experiences with this type of finance.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport