BT debt will it be Statued barred

Hi

To cut a long story short I ‘owe’ bt £350 from April 2013. It relates to a complaint where I cancelled their tv service due to lack of signal. Anyway bt were woefully unhelpful and I never received any recourse. Time has moved on and out of the blue this year I’ve started receiving chaser letters from a solicitirs acting on behalf of a DCA. Prior to this I hAve Never been in touch with anyone about the debt since 2013

I may have took my eye of the ball here as with the threat of legal action I replied to the solicitor saying that this wasn’t a debt but a civil dispute for breach of contract which I’m
still waiting to hear back regarding my written complaint from 5 years ago !!!128545; (Basically they’ve charged me for a year service after I cancelled after 1 month).

Now will this response mean that the debt will
Now no longer be statue barred in April this year as they will say I have aknowledged it !!!128563;

Are they bluffing and will they take me to court? I’m adamant I won’t pay as it was appalling service by bt at the time and I’m not paying for something I haven’t received ( I returned all the equipment and the service was cancelled at the time)

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think a reply telling you that the debt was in dispute at the time they received it could be considered an acknowledgement of the debt. It acknowledges that you know the account they're talking about sure, but you're disputing that a debt exists, so the SB clock shouldn't be reset.
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It was never going to SB in April this year - 6 years from last payment etc so April 2019
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    anna_1977 wrote: »
    It was never going to SB in April this year - 6 years from last payment etc so April 2019

Could be this year if the OP is in Scotland
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Could be this year if the OP is in Scotland

learnt something new - thanks :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If your in Scotland it will be SB this year, rest of the UK it will be another year.

It is anyones guess if they will go to court, usually if the debt is disputed they may not bother, as they dont like to get bogged down with anything that isnt straight forward.

Thats not to say it isn't possible though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure