Office 2003

Hi
I have been sent some documents but my 2003 office can't open them. I get a message saying I need a convertor for word. How do I get that or do I need to upgrade my office suite. I have Microsoft Office Professional 2003. I have no trouble reading most documents but for some reason these ones won't open.
Thanks

Comments

• WAYT wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    Dosen't seem to make any difference. Installed it then tried to open the files but still dosen't recognize them. Still says I need a convertor unless I need to do something else.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    What's the extension?
  • WAYT wrote: »
    What's the extension?
    Not too sure what you mean but the box on the screen says the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable and tells me to enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package PRO11.MSI
  • There is a .docx viewer from Microsoft for Office 2003 (and earlier) users to enable it to view .docx documents. If I remember correctly it was a standalone piece of software, not an update to Office 2003. Word Viewer I think it is called.

Failing that, just upload the docs to Google Drive and view them that way.

No need to splash out upgrading to the latest version of Office, I still rock Office 2007 on my main machine and 2003 on another PC.
  • yeah it was something like file converter, I think this was the link and its still live, just clicked it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3
  • yeah it was something like file converter, I think this was the link and its still live, just clicked it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=3

That's some sort of converter that I've never used before so not sure how it works. What I'm on about was just a simple .docx Word Viewer released same time as Office 2007 (first version with the newer .docx file extension). You couldn't edit docs with it as older versions of Office couldn't handle .docx files.
  • There is a .docx viewer from Microsoft for Office 2003 (and earlier) users to enable it to view .docx documents. If I remember correctly it was a standalone piece of software, not an update to Office 2003. Word Viewer I think it is called.

Failing that, just upload the docs to Google Drive and view them that way.

No need to splash out upgrading to the latest version of Office, I still rock Office 2007 on my main machine and 2003 on another PC.
    Thanks
    It won't load in Word Viewer and I can't seem to open or save it in Google drive. I'll just have to get intouch with the person who sent it me
    Cheers
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    soulandy wrote: »
    Not too sure what you mean but the box on the screen says the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable and tells me to enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package PRO11.MSI

The type of file. Such as .mp3 or .pdf
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Have you tried to open the file in Word online? It should enable you to both view and edit.

I would recommend installing the compatibility pack using the links already supplied. Word 2003 could not natively open the new docx format of Word files, but since this format has now become the norm your version of Word won't be much use going forward without it.

This is assuming you've been sent a docx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure