Hogging right lane

Options

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    The reason you found yourself in trouble, appears to be the "light density right hand lane scenario, with the odd zoom zoomer" and you either moved across too early, OR you should have been indicating all along, so that those who come from behind know your intentions.

Unless you have some dashcam footage for us, only you will know, and only experience will make you more confident and more able to judge these things for yourself.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Isn't that what I've said all along? People need to stop jumping on the bandwagon and making assumptions.

No that is NOT what you said.

You said that if you were travelling at the speed limit you failed to see any issue with driving in the right hand lane.

You still haven't told us how far it was to the right turn from when you moved into the right hand lane.

This thread could run and run as you don't seem to be accepting the world as it is - some people will exceed the limit -you must allow for that in your decisions of when to change lanes and when to signal.

If I have to turn right on a DC I indicate (three flashes) to change lanes then a split second later indicator goes on fully to show that I'm going to turn right soon.

That's how it is and I am NOT lying.
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    No that is NOT what you said.

You said that if you were travelling at the speed limit you failed to see any issue with driving in the right hand lane.

You still haven't told us how far it was to the right turn from when you moved into the right hand lane.

This thread could run and run as you don't seem to be accepting the world as it is - some people will exceed the limit -you must allow for that in your decisions of when to change lanes and when to signal.

If I have to turn right on a DC I indicate (three flashes) to change lanes then a split second later indicator goes on fully to show that I'm going to turn right soon.

That's only part of what I said in this thread though isn't it? But I suppose it's better for the point you want to make to take one sentence and run with that.
    Iceweasel wrote: »

In an ideal world, that would be the case every time someone wants to move over to the right lane and turn right. Unfortunatley, due to traffic conditions and other considerations it doesn't always happen like that so yes, you would be lying if you said that's how it works every time.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No, it's OK - I got that - likewise my post wasn't meant to suggest you weren't!
    Hehe, honours even, then. After you, Claude. No, after you, Cyril, etc etc.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Isn't that what I've said all along? People need to stop jumping on the bandwagon and making assumptions.

If it was too early to indicate for the turning, surely it was too early to move into the right lane, and this car appeared like magic out of nowhere.

Looks to me like you missed some of your observations and took the right hand lane too early. That car may well have been in your blind spot and unwittingly you could have pulled in to his path.

You don't have to pretend you are a perfect driver as none such exists. I'm not questioning whether you have good judgement, its just that we don't get it right all the time. You learn nothing by denying errors.
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    I find it strange that people keep asking me to state how far away from the turn I was despite me explaining why I won't be bothering. I've already been deemed the guilty party. What's the point? A lot of the posts on here center around the fact I'm a new driver and so inexperienced therefore I MUST be the one in the wrong. That is why I cannot agree with some of you. Just because I am inexperienced doesn't mean I have poor judgement.

I think that I generally have good judgement. Does that mean I always have good judgement, or do I sometimes exercise poor judgement, sometimes as a result of inexperience or other factors? If someone notices my poor judgement and criticises me for it, then yes, I'm likely to be initially defensive, but I'm likely to learn more if I accept that whilst I generally have good judgement, there are times when I don't exercise that good judgement. It's all part of being human.

It's called trial and error. I worked that out on a very early drive after passing my test. We have a very steep drive with a fairly narrow opening. I turned right to enter the drive and was too conscious of the car waiting behind me. Used too much gas and hit the wall. No real damage done to wall or car. My father in law and my wife's uncle were in the car. To say I was embarrassed is an understatement. I haven't come close to repeating that experience since. I felt like a clown, but couldn't deny I was in the wrong. So learned and adapted. It's all part of the process.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Options
    I fear for the OP.

If he is as unwilling to improve his driving and learn from experience on the road as he appears unwilling to take on board and learn from the advice and comments in this thread, then he has an uncertain future as a driver.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If he is as unwilling to improve his driving and learn from experience on the road as he appears unwilling to take on board and learn from the advice and comments in this thread, then he has an uncertain future as a driver.
    I actually think his future as a driver is fairly predictable; and it won't go well.
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    You really are a condescending bunch aren't you? Perhaps you should all jump off your high horses and take a look at your own attitude to the road and other drivers.
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    You really are a condescending bunch aren't you? Perhaps you should all jump off your high horses and take a look at your own attitude to the road and other drivers.

Weren't you the one on the high horse about the driver behind you? So it's fine for you to criticise others but not fine for anyone to criticise you. Wow that will work on the internet! The most dangerous driver is the one who thinks he never makes a mistake, and thinks he will never make one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure