Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Rosie
    • By MSE Rosie 5th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Rosie
    MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes 5th Sep 17 at 6:32 PM
    First Direct has become the latest bank to offer cashback incentives when you use its credit or debit cards at selected retailers - just a month after sister bank HSBC launched an identical scheme...
    Read the full story:
    'HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes - are they any good?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • michaels
    • By michaels 5th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 19,735 Posts
    • 90,097 Thanks
    michaels
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    • 5th Sep 17, 11:01 PM
    Couldn't beleive our local esso was 7p/litre more than the competition less than half a mile away, no wonder I was the only one filling up there. £2 of the £5 off £40 went on way over priced petrol. It is hardly going to encourage people to switch brands....
    Last edited by michaels; 06-09-2017 at 9:01 AM.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 6th Sep 17, 6:04 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Terry98
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:04 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:04 AM
    I registered for the First Direct scheme last week and used my card for the £10 off £40 at Lidl.

A couple of days later I got an email confirming the cashback and saying the £10 would be credited to my account within 5 days.

Apparently the Esso offer only works at Esso branded stations so excludes Esso stations with Tesco Express.....https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/first-direct-tailored-deals-with-visa-offers-boots-hm-esso-costa-lidl-dunelm-nike-store-ibis-holland-and-barrett-etc-2778309
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 6th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:25 AM
    Same here with Esso prices. 7p a litre more, so filled with a wee dram over £40. Reckon that knocked 15p a litre off, so saved about £2.70.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 6th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8,935 Posts
    • 12,974 Thanks
    meer53
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    • 6th Sep 17, 10:54 AM
    I've had the £10 too for my £40 Lidl shop. It costs nothing to register your card so it's a no brainer really. The offers all have expiry dates and some are online only so worth checking regularly to make the best of whats on offer.
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 6th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 5:46 PM
    Used the Lidl offer last time with my Nationwide visa debit reward scheme.

Paid out quickly.

As an Aldi shopper though, may not avail myself of this one as struggled to reach forty quid last time.
    • marsbar
    • By marsbar 6th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marsbar
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    Hsbc visa offer
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    Hi There,
    Just phoned HSBC today and they tell me the Visa Offer does not exist!
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 6th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,758 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 6th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    Hi There,
    Just phoned HSBC today and they tell me the Visa Offer does not exist!
    Originally posted by marsbar
    It's quite new, so customer facing staff might not be aware of it yet. When I worked in customer services for a major utility company a few years ago, we were often the last ones to hear about the latest promotions.

Also, you can only register for it online, I believe, so it's no use ringing them. The relevant links to register are in the MSE article if you click on it.
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 7th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Space Captain
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 7th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    Glad I read the MSE email this week otherwise I wouldn't have heard about this.
    Never shop at Lidl so not sure if the 20 minute trip would pay off. Will check the local Esso prices but I'm not sure my car holds £40 worth of petrol.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 8,504 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Same here with Esso prices. 7p a litre more, so filled with a wee dram over £40. Reckon that knocked 15p a litre off, so saved about £2.70.
    Originally posted by sausage_time

There are lots of websites that email you as frequently as you choose with the names of the 5 cheapest sites within a (5 mile ?)range of your postcode.
    • dougz
    • By dougz 7th Sep 17, 4:31 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    dougz
    It looked a bit like a scam email to me, given the way it asks for your bank details, and that banks say never reply to email that does that.

So I contacted HSBC online support and gave a full description. They told me they had no such offer, that it was probably a scam and not to respond.

Now I come on here and find it was legit after all. So a shambles from HSBC, and irresponsible security policy from Visa.
    • dougz
    • By dougz 7th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    dougz
    Does anyone know if these Visa offers will stack with cashback via sites such as Quidco or TCB?
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 7th Sep 17, 6:27 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    Does anyone know if these Visa offers will stack with cashback via sites such as Quidco or TCB?
    Originally posted by dougz
    Would be interesting to test The Works online as both cashback deals are double digits.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 7th Sep 17, 7:28 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    There are lots of websites that email you as frequently as you choose with the names of the 5 cheapest sites within a (5 mile ?)range of your postcode.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Understood, but the point is that I was £2.70 better off as a result of the £5 cashback (even although the fuel was more expensive than Asda 1 mile away). OK, £2.20 allowing for 1.25% Amex cashback if I'd gone to Asda.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 8th Sep 17, 5:40 AM
    • 10,655 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Originally posted by dougz
    They often will.

We're off to Thailand in a few weeks and booked the flights in June. Managed to stack a voucher code with topcashback and a nationwide visa offer, knocked about £100 off the flight price for the two of us.
    • aadil79
    • By aadil79 8th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aadil79
    I've called HSBC who advised I cancel my card (this was done!)...and just called Visa who said they have NO and I repeat NO offers with HSBC!!! What is going on!!!???

I gave them the site details and address and they said it's not one of theirs!!
    • aadil79
    • By aadil79 8th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aadil79
    I registered for the First Direct scheme last week and used my card for the £10 off £40 at Lidl.

A couple of days later I got an email confirming the cashback and saying the £10 would be credited to my account within 5 days.

Apparently the Esso offer only works at Esso branded stations so excludes Esso stations with Tesco Express
    Originally posted by Terry98
    Have you now actually got the cashback?? Has anyone had the cold hard cash from these offers??
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Sep 17, 4:15 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    msallen
    Have you now actually got the cashback?? Has anyone had the cold hard cash from these offers??
    Originally posted by aadil79
    Not from HSBC yet, but the site is on the same domain (visaoffers.eu) as Nationwide's cashback program which I've had plenty back from, and a quick google shows that Allied Irish Bank also uses it.

I had my first confirmation email of a HSBC offer tracking this morning (Lidl) and if it wasn't genuine there would be no way that any crook would know that I had used the card in Lidl.
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 8th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    Like the previous poster, I too got the cash from using Nationwide card at Lidl (separate campaign of course)
    • meer53
    • By meer53 8th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 8,935 Posts
    • 12,974 Thanks
    meer53
    As per my post, yes, i have. My colleagues at work have too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,503Posts Today

5,810Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin