Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 31st Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    • 608Posts
    • 178Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Paypal Direct Debits
    • 31st Aug 17, 12:03 PM
    Paypal Direct Debits 31st Aug 17 at 12:03 PM
    Just tried to move money into Paypal by direct debit (in order to meet the min 2 dd requirements), and the option to move money by dd seems to have disappeared from Paypal. Has anyone else noticed this?
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 31st Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    I've never tried to set up a payment to PP, they take it from my linked credit card on a purchase by purchase basis. But I'm pretty sure that you would set up a standing order to fund your account, not a direct debit. A direct debit would have to be set up by PayPal as you can't do it yourself.
    Sorry if I'm mistaken, but it just seems to me that's the way it would work.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 31st Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:13 PM
    Thanks, but you used to be able to fund paypal via direct debit - I used this (as have others) as a direct debit to meet the minimum 2 per month requirement on current accounts, so a SO would not work
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 31st Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 1:53 PM
    Thanks, but you used to be able to fund paypal via direct debit - I used this (as have others) as a direct debit to meet the minimum 2 per month requirement on current accounts, so a SO would not work
    Originally posted by beefturnmail
    Sorry....I obviously misunderstood.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 31st Aug 17, 3:25 PM
    • 17,303 Posts
    • 11,499 Thanks
    molerat
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:25 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:25 PM
    Has your DD lapsed ? I have not used my DD for a long time. I just tried to move money in and it just showed the instructions how to FP from bank to PP. I then went back to PP summary, clicked on the bank account and it had "DD instruction" and a "complete set up" link.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 31st Aug 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 33,985 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:26 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:26 PM
    Just tried to move money into Paypal by direct debit (in order to meet the min 2 dd requirements), and the option to move money by dd seems to have disappeared from Paypal. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Originally posted by beefturnmail

Same had happened to me. The ability to make these manual DD requests stopped for me just over a month ago though the facility was still showing on the page. Every time I tried I received an error message.
    Today however, the facility has completely been removed from my account. Where I used to select 'add funds' i would be given two options...to add via FP or via DD....now it's only via FP.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 31st Aug 17, 3:42 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 1,090 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:42 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:42 PM
    Yep - same for me. PayPal are no longer allowing funding by direct debit.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 31st Aug 17, 3:49 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 3,810 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:49 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 3:49 PM
    very strange, that's how paypal works when you add a bank account
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 31st Aug 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 31st Aug 17, 4:17 PM
    • 31st Aug 17, 4:17 PM
    I have never used the DD facility on PP over several years of having an account, but do recall it being an option at initial setup. I have both cards and bank account setup to use on a purchase-by-purchase basis, has always worked for me.

If the option has been removed, I can see that some will be upset.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 31st Aug 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,792 Posts
    • 3,810 Thanks
    glentoran99
    I have never used the DD facility on PP over several years of having an account, but do recall it being an option at initial setup. I have both cards and bank account setup to use on a purchase-by-purchase basis, has always worked for me.

If the option has been removed, I can see that some will be upset.
    Originally posted by Robisere

That's a direct debit
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 31st Aug 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    very strange, that's how paypal works when you add a bank account
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    They now offer details about how to make a payment via your bank account.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 31st Aug 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 759 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    When I added my bank account details to payment methods, PP took £1 out of my account. They explained that this would happen and it was returned later on. PP showed in my list of dd's after that.

But....I never saw a way, or a need, to make a payment to PP by dd, they just took the money from my account as needed. I guess it was what you could call an 'irregular' dd. Sometimes it was used three times in a month, sometimes not at all.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 31st Aug 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    ceredigion
    The facility disappeared from my account couple months ago. The workaround is to send a payment to your spouse, you can send from any account that is linked and it will send it by pulling a DD.
    • drob4
    • By drob4 31st Aug 17, 7:56 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    drob4
    FWIW, I'm still able to add money to my PP account via DD from my own bank using the PP app.
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 31st Aug 17, 8:05 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 33,985 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    FWIW, I'm still able to add money to my PP account via DD from my own bank using the PP app.
    Originally posted by drob4
    It's never been possible via the app !
    • drob4
    • By drob4 31st Aug 17, 8:14 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    drob4
    It's never been possible via the app !
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    I've been doing it for the last year or so via the app.
    • anna42hmr
    • By anna42hmr 1st Sep 17, 6:35 AM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 968 Thanks
    anna42hmr
    That is strange, as i have added two accounts to my PayPal account in August and was able to pull funds from both of them in the past week as direct debits.
    MFW # 105

2015 Target £7000/ Overpaid £8095
    2016 Target £6000 / Overpaid £6983.24
    2017 Target £3500 / £3152.60 so far as at October
    • trail32uk
    • By trail32uk 1st Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trail32uk
    I have exactly the same problem.

The option to add funds to paypal via direct debit is missing from both of my paypal accounts today. I am only offered to domestic payment transfer by logging into my own bank account and setting up a payment manually to paypal.

In the past I was given two options after pressing add money from the main screen. Now there is only "You move money from your bank account" option.

All my accounts were confirmed and I have made several payments via direct debits last month. The only thing that I did thats different last month was to pay an Ebay fee last night via paypal that was processed successfully. My accounts are not limited.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 1st Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    datlex
    According to help information it is still available https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-add-my-bank-account-to-my-paypal-account-faq686/1
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 1st Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    Like others here, the option to add funds to my Paypal account via direct debit has disappeared. I've never used the app before but I've just downloaded it and it has allowed me to arrange a transfer from a current account into my Paypal account. It didn't specifically say that it was by direct debit but as it said it would take 5 days I presume that's what it is. Let's hope this facility isn't also withdrawn.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,503Posts Today

5,810Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin