Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alice_kate
    • By alice_kate 13th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 192Posts
    • 131Thanks
    alice_kate
    Blogging
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    Blogging 13th Oct 16 at 10:15 AM
    Hi all!

Thought this was the right place to post this .

Does anyone else have a blog? Is it something you do for fun or do you make a little money from it?

I've recently started a blog on home/lifestyle and linked it to my Adsense but to be honest I think it'll remain a hobby instead of a money earner yesterday I made 8p! I didn't get many views compared to normal though as I didn't publish a new post! Although with my regular views I'd imagine if going by % it'd still only be about 20p! Oh well, it's a good job I enjoy it

Alice
Page 6
    • McDizzle
    • By McDizzle 9th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    McDizzle
    Blogging Help Please
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of starting up a blog. I have little experience with website hosting and was looking for some thoughts on the sites people choose to host their blog's and the reasons why so I can weigh them up based on the thoughts of people who are using them directly.

I am going to try and post at least once per week and I would like to try and make some money from it in the long term. I know a little bit about banner ads / google adsense so any help on how to prepare my blog so that if it is good enough to make money it can do would be useful too.

Thank you all in advance.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 11th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    I've used 123-reg and it's affordable and manageable. No complaints so far.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 11th Sep 17, 3:41 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    mikep22
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of starting up a blog. I have little experience with website hosting and was looking for some thoughts on the sites people choose to host their blog's and the reasons why so I can weigh them up based on the thoughts of people who are using them directly.

I am going to try and post at least once per week and I would like to try and make some money from it in the long term. I know a little bit about banner ads / google adsense so any help on how to prepare my blog so that if it is good enough to make money it can do would be useful too.

Thank you all in advance.
    Originally posted by McDizzle
    You will need to post more regularly then that I would imagine. I have a blog (which I could advertise better) - and I have around 100 people viewing each one. I dont make any money (its not really for that purpose). In order to get people coming back the content really needs to be daily IMHO.

As for hosts. I use 1 and 1. No complaints and some wordpress themes which are easy to implement.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 11th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 4,222 Thanks
    lika_86
    People don't tend to make a lot of money through banners, mostly it's affiliate links or sponsored posts.
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 11th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    tonycottee
    You will need to post more regularly then that I would imagine. I have a blog (which I could advertise better) - and I have around 100 people viewing each one. I dont make any money (its not really for that purpose). In order to get people coming back the content really needs to be daily IMHO.

As for hosts. I use 1 and 1. No complaints and some wordpress themes which are easy to implement.
    Originally posted by mikep22
    I disagree. Yes, you need to update it fairly regularly. However, if you post every day for the sake of it, you could end up posting rubbish which will drive people away.
    The main focus should be on posting quality and not quantity.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 11th Sep 17, 4:04 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    mikep22
    I disagree. Yes, you need to update it fairly regularly. However, if you post every day for the sake of it, you could end up posting rubbish which will drive people away.
    The main focus should be on posting quality and not quantity.
    Originally posted by tonycottee
    Of course, but posting once a week is not going to get the job done.

Those people who do well post regularly and of a good standard.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • cs1986
    • By cs1986 13th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    cs1986
    I started my blog on Monday night with Siteground using Wordpress. Not really done anything to it yet, going to put some hours into it this weekend and get it live and my blogging journey can begin. Focussing on Travel and Men's lifestyle.
    Boosted Income Total: £365.66

TopCashback: £180.98 // Ciao: £97.13 // Prolific Academic: £67.53 // Swagbucks: £20.02
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 17th Sep 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    Of course, but posting once a week is not going to get the job done.

Those people who do well post regularly and of a good standard.
    Originally posted by mikep22
    Mike is right. Once a week is not enough, that's only 52 posts a year. Readers don't come back weekly, they want to check in daily to see what you're up to.

If you are blogging for money you need to look on it as a job and allocate a certain amount of time to it daily. You need to back it up by posting on other social media sites, and videos on youtube.

I have written 3190 posts since I started nine years ago. I post almost every day, and get 6000 page views a day. That's the sort of numbers you should be aiming for, and mine is just a hobby, I don't make anything from it.

Just writing a few posts and then sitting back to see what happens isn't going to work. It needs effort and discipline.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 18th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    tonycottee
    Mike is right. Once a week is not enough, that's only 52 posts a year. Readers don't come back weekly, they want to check in daily to see what you're up to.

If you are blogging for money you need to look on it as a job and allocate a certain amount of time to it daily. You need to back it up by posting on other social media sites, and videos on youtube.

I have written 3190 posts since I started nine years ago. I post almost every day, and get 6000 page views a day. That's the sort of numbers you should be aiming for, and mine is just a hobby, I don't make anything from it.

Just writing a few posts and then sitting back to see what happens isn't going to work. It needs effort and discipline.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    But that depends on your blog. I know of a financial blogger that posts 1-2 times a week and easily makes six figures.

If I wanted to make money from blogging, I would prefer 10 people visit my blog daily and for me to make £100 from them, compared to 1000 daily and not making any money.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 18th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1,943 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    Ilona
    But that depends on your blog. I know of a financial blogger that posts 1-2 times a week and easily makes six figures.

If I wanted to make money from blogging, I would prefer 10 people visit my blog daily and for me to make £100 from them, compared to 1000 daily and not making any money.
    Originally posted by tonycottee
    Who is this financial blogger then? What is their background, what are their qualifications, how long have they been blogging??? If it is so easy to make shed loads of money while putting very little effort into it, why isn't everyone doing it?

People who are reading these forums are not generally financial wizards, if they were they wouldn't be here. Wouldn't everyone like to get rich by doing very little for it?

It's ridiculous saying ten people will visit a blog and spend £10 each. If only ten people went into a shop possibly all of them would walk out again without buying anything. How many people browse ebay and buy, probably a very tiny minority.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 18th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,060 Thanks
    tonycottee
    Who is this financial blogger then? What is their background, what are their qualifications, how long have they been blogging??? If it is so easy to make shed loads of money while putting very little effort into it, why isn't everyone doing it?

People who are reading these forums are not generally financial wizards, if they were they wouldn't be here. Wouldn't everyone like to get rich by doing very little for it?

It's ridiculous saying ten people will visit a blog and spend £10 each. If only ten people went into a shop possibly all of them would walk out again without buying anything. How many people browse ebay and buy, probably a very tiny minority.

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    I didn't say she didn't put much effort in. In fact, she put loads in. Mainly social media, SEO, gaining backlinks and meeting with companies. It takes a lot of effort to earn that amount. It's generally the effort you don't see that makes the money. If she spent her time putting a post up every day, she wouldn't make anywhere near as much.

The £10 figure was just an example. I could have said 1000 people visit and 10 spend £10. The result is the same. One blog makes money and the other doesn't.

It should be quality over quantity.
    Last edited by tonycottee; 18-09-2017 at 6:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,005Posts Today

7,714Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin