Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alice_kate
    • By alice_kate 13th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 192Posts
    • 131Thanks
    alice_kate
    Blogging
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    Blogging 13th Oct 16 at 10:15 AM
    Hi all!

Thought this was the right place to post this .

Does anyone else have a blog? Is it something you do for fun or do you make a little money from it?

I've recently started a blog on home/lifestyle and linked it to my Adsense but to be honest I think it'll remain a hobby instead of a money earner yesterday I made 8p! I didn't get many views compared to normal though as I didn't publish a new post! Although with my regular views I'd imagine if going by % it'd still only be about 20p! Oh well, it's a good job I enjoy it

Alice
Page 2
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 29th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    Ilona
    You can make a bit of money from blogging if you get a good reputation, as companies will pay you to review their products.
    Originally posted by mickeymouse303
    Yes you can, but it takes a hell of a long time and a lot of work to get to that stage. There is no quick easy money, it all depends on how many people you can get to follow you, which could take up to at least a year or more. It is many hours sat at a keyboard, it's pushing yourself and your blog at every opportunity, and getting yourself out there on social networking sites and in the media, newspapers and magazines. You can't sit back and write a blog and do nothing else and expect the money to come rolling in.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 29th Oct 16, 6:48 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    Ilona
    I'm self-hosted and use Wordpress, I blog about anything and everything from making/saving money to being a parent. If I fancy writing about it then I will
    Originally posted by Fallen-Angel
    Hi, I can't find hardly anything on your site about you. The copyright belongs to Younique, the company you are selling cosmetics for. It's nothing more than an online shop. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't consider this a blog in the true sense of the word. Perhaps you have another blog somewhere else.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 30th Oct 16, 8:39 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    Hi, I can't find hardly anything on your site about you. The copyright belongs to Younique, the company you are selling cosmetics for. It's nothing more than an online shop. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't consider this a blog in the true sense of the word. Perhaps you have another blog somewhere else.
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    You're right, that isn't a blog. That is the shop front for my Younique store which is something that I'm no longer selling so I should really update the link on my profile.

I do have my blog, I will change that link now (forgot it linked to my Y-store).
    Mother to an 8 year old. Wife to an engineer.

Baker. Gamer. Rocker. Blogger. Geek.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 30th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    Ilona
    You're right, that isn't a blog. That is the shop front for my Younique store which is something that I'm no longer selling so I should really update the link on my profile.

I do have my blog, I will change that link now (forgot it linked to my Y-store).
    Originally posted by Fallen-Angel
    Thanks, that's better, more like a blog. Looks bright and cheerful.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Reue
    • By Reue 31st Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    Reue
    Forget Adsense, you'll make peanuts from it.

The main income is from sponsored posts and affiliate marketing. I very rarely update my (2) blogs and get a few sponsored post requests each month plus £300-£400 affiliate income.
    • bricksbricksbricks
    • By bricksbricksbricks 9th Nov 16, 6:17 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    bricksbricksbricks
    I am looking to start one. I have a idea of what to blog about but I can not think of a name for the Life of me. So how did you name yours?
    Last edited by bricksbricksbricks; 09-11-2016 at 6:20 PM.
    • baaluo
    • By baaluo 10th Nov 16, 12:10 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    baaluo
    I think if you spend enough time on designing and developing a blog on a niche that you have a basic knowledge about, keep it up to date with articles and media, and promote them on social media, you can make a few hundred dollars from them monthly depending on the quality of the content you create and your marketing skills. Wordpress is the best platform to start with.
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 10th Nov 16, 12:34 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    tonycottee
    I am looking to start one. I have a idea of what to blog about but I can not think of a name for the Life of me. So how did you name yours?
    Originally posted by bricksbricksbricks
    I spent ages thinking of different names for mine. And then gave up and stuck with something simple. I think it's quite important for the name to be self explanatory. However, I'm very new to it all so my advice might not be the best!
    • lindanexus
    • By lindanexus 11th Nov 16, 7:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lindanexus
    Blogging is one of the best ways to make money online but it really needs dedication and hard work if you want to fully dependent on it for your income. Making money with adsense or with affiliate product promotion was too easy in last few years comparing to now. Those days it was really easy to rank any websites.
    • ladya94
    • By ladya94 11th Nov 16, 7:50 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    ladya94
    Blogging sounds like a fab idea to make some extra money! Can anyone advise me how you would start it up in the right way to start earning money? :-)
    Lady A
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 11th Nov 16, 8:20 AM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    tonycottee
    Blogging sounds like a fab idea to make some extra money! Can anyone advise me how you would start it up in the right way to start earning money? :-)
    Originally posted by ladya94
    There are plenty of bloggers out there that offer a step-by-step guide to starting a blog.
    I used Bluehost as my hosting company. Mainly because I went through TopCashback and it more or less meant it was free for the first year. So if it all goes wrong, I'm not out of pocket!
    Once you've got some articles up and running, you need to contact some affiliate programs. Affiliate Window and afilinet have quite a lot of merchants.
    Some companies offer their own schemes. I've found the best way to do it is just to type in the name of the company I'm interested in followed by "affiliate program".
    However, don't expect it to be an instant money maker.
    • cazmanian_minx
    • By cazmanian_minx 13th Nov 16, 7:42 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 18,472 Thanks
    cazmanian_minx
    £11.66 earned on Adsense in 14 months - but I don't have huge amounts of traffic! At the moment I'm blogging 95% for me, it's a diary/record of the house I'm renovating.

I think if I ever want to make serious money from it, I need to move it on from being a personal record to making more 'how-to' posts, but I need to experience going through a whole renovation project from start to finish myself first.

I'm enjoying writing it though, and I'm looking at it as something that might provide a better income in a couple of years' time.
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £114,428.66 Offset: £51,337.84 Amount paid off: £30,716.34 (21.2%) Paying interest on: £63,090.82
    Holiday let:
    02/17: £177,416.86 (Family loan: £129,146.86 + 0% cards £48,270.00) Currently: £169,836.86 Amount paid off: £7,580.00 (4.22%)
    Sugar days 2017: 17/26 Debt-free: 17/02/2017
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Nov 16, 6:50 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    Ilona
    Thanks Illona - I have just spent an entertaining hour or so browsing your blog. I love it. It feels like a window on your life and how you live it, it's quirky, personal, and honest. Great stuff!
    Originally posted by Macadamia
    Thank you, I wondered why my page views have been creeping up again, ha ha. I have written a paper diary since 1963, doing it electronically is an extension of that.

I'm glad you say it's honest, because it's a personal record of how I live my life, and I would not be able to say that if I had guest posts full of adverts, product and service reviews, and stand alone adverts. I have to be true to the principles of my blog which is living a good life on a pension, it's not about making more money.

However, if anyone wants to make money writing a blog, then by all means do it. But I don't consider that is a blog in the true sense of the word. Writing about freebie products or services, is advertising by the back door. At least when you read my blog you know no one is paying me to say nice things about them.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Nov 16, 6:58 PM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    Ilona
    £11.66 earned on Adsense in 14 months - but I don't have huge amounts of traffic! At the moment I'm blogging 95% for me, it's a diary/record of the house I'm renovating.

I think if I ever want to make serious money from it, I need to move it on from being a personal record to making more 'how-to' posts, but I need to experience going through a whole renovation project from start to finish myself first.

I'm enjoying writing it though, and I'm looking at it as something that might provide a better income in a couple of years' time.
    Originally posted by cazmanian_minx
    Hi. You've got the right attitude. Keep going with it, lots of hints and tips, throw a few mistakes in there now and again. Make it personal, a few selfies, lots of humour, the struggles and the triumphs, your traffic will increase. I have been writing mine for eight years, it takes a lot of time to build it up. Your times scale of a couple of years is spot on. Your determination will pay off. Best of luck.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • rachelja
    • By rachelja 15th Nov 16, 11:21 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    rachelja
    Hiya, I've loved reading this posts and a couple of the blogs :-) Can anyone recommend which webhosting service to use please? I'm getting very confused. I read some good articles over on the money shed that recommend Vidahost, which looks good only I've never heard of them and don't know whether to go with that or a more well known brand such as Godaddy...thanks in advance for any advice...
    Newbie blogger
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 15th Nov 16, 11:24 AM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,568 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    To make money, you have to have money, in this game, a lot of the time.

e.g. if I were blogging about my great life, cat, dog, family, kids, holidays and things I bought - and was taking photos of all these exciting things, I'd be able to get some sponsorship/partnerships going.

As it is, nobody's interested in: I've done nothing, got nothing, nothing to report here.

You either have to have a lifestyle/hobby people are interested in .... or lie about it. Trouble is, if you try to lie, where are you going to get the photos from

I used to make £1500/month. Then things happened and the world changed while my eye was off the ball ... and it slumped to £50/month.

I've been trying to re-work it, but the world's moved on and people "doing it" can outpace me "making it up" so to speak.... although, I'm 10% through my rework and have got it back up to about £250/month without breaking into a sweat.

My heart's not really in it these days though, to be honest.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 15-11-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    • tonycottee
    • By tonycottee 15th Nov 16, 1:54 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    tonycottee
    Hiya, I've loved reading this posts and a couple of the blogs :-) Can anyone recommend which webhosting service to use please? I'm getting very confused. I read some good articles over on the money shed that recommend Vidahost, which looks good only I've never heard of them and don't know whether to go with that or a more well known brand such as Godaddy...thanks in advance for any advice...
    Originally posted by rachelja
    As I said earlier, I used BlueHost. I don't know if they're any better or worse than others but found it fairly easy to use.
    It's one of those things that when you sign up, you stare blankly at the screen for 20 minutes thinking "what now". But you do get used to it after a while. But 2 months in I'm still changing the design to see what looks better.
    If you went with BlueHost I would choose the prime offer at $5.95 a month. That includes domain privacy. When you sign up, if you don't have this, then your personal details will be published at sites like WhoIs. You do get the option on the other choices, but I'm not sure of the cost.
    The cost for the year should come in at about £57.50 depending on exchange rates and fees. And if you go through TopCashback, they are paying out £68.17. So you could be in profit in your first year!
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 16th Nov 16, 10:17 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    Originally posted by rachelja
    I'm a Vidahost user and I'm amazed at their service. I've never had any down time (that I've noticed) and if there has been any then it's been sorted before it causes a problem, then an apology email has been sent out. I know I can email them with a question or for advice and get a fast response - even at 5pm on a Sunday.

I've seen a lot of negativity on the blogging Facebook groups I use about the bigger hosts - especially GoDaddy, who seem to have loads of downtime

At the end of the day you need to go with a company that suits your needs and budget - I took a long time to look at other hosts, not just Vidahost because Jon (on TMS) recommended it and it proved to be the best option for me...for now.
    Mother to an 8 year old. Wife to an engineer.

Baker. Gamer. Rocker. Blogger. Geek.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 17th Nov 16, 10:32 PM
    • 6,281 Posts
    • 22,920 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    What's the best blog service to use and how do you link it to adserve or something similar to make money? I started a blog on Wordpress but don't know how to make money from it
    £2014 in 2014 = £2089.52 - £14025.96 / £13694.07. The Other One: £12042.81£11540.91 Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • denisehilton
    • By denisehilton 18th Nov 16, 7:11 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    denisehilton
    Blogging indeed is a great way to boost your monthly income but it also requires a lot of hard work and patience. That's the reason most of the people who start blogs leave it after sometime because it's really hard to be consistent at this. If you're willing to start a blog don't expect any return for at least 3 or 4 months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

534Posts Today

4,877Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin