Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 16th Jul 14, 1:09 PM
    • 397Posts
    • 121Thanks
    MallRat
    iSoftStone
    • 16th Jul 14, 1:09 PM
    iSoftStone 16th Jul 14 at 1:09 PM
    Anyone taking the iSoftStone exam this weekend?!

I've just downloaded the guidelines, and am currently trying to summon the strength to start reading them..
Page 2
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 22nd Jul 14, 12:01 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    I've just received my guideline pack. So far the first thing I've noticed: There are no stupid offby metrics! Just get a certain percentage correct (out of all ratings) and you're through.
    Originally posted by Maktina
    Maybe shouldn't have been so cynical!

Also received the guidelines this morning!

Now finding the motivation to take them in...
    Originally posted by 271906
    Yay!

Nothing in my inbox from them yet.. Would've been nice to be informed as to what's going on, but at least I now know they're still out there. Looks like maybe they're allowing the rest of you to catch up, and then we'll all get to take the exam together.
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 22nd Jul 14, 1:03 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    OK.. Just randomly thought to check the "other" email account they told us to set up, only to find that they've suddenly started emailing me there instead. Apparently the guidelines have been updated, so I now need to read those instead, and then immediately start working on the practice set. LITERALLY just printed out all my notes from last week's guidelines about 10 minutes ago..

Just thought this might be useful info for any lurkers who's exam got put back last week. Email was sent out very early this morning, so we haven't lost out on TOO much time yet.
    Last edited by MallRat; 22-07-2014 at 1:05 PM.
  • stephs0801
    OK.. Just randomly thought to check the "other" email account they told us to set up, only to find that they've suddenly started emailing me there instead. Apparently the guidelines have been updated, so I now need to read those instead, and then immediately start working on the practice set. LITERALLY just printed out all my notes from last week's guidelines about 10 minutes ago..

Just thought this might be useful info for any lurkers who's exam got put back last week. Email was sent out very early this morning, so we haven't lost out on TOO much time yet.
    Originally posted by MallRat
    Thanks for posting. I was in the same situation as you and didn't even think about checking the new email address. Does anyone know when the deadline is to complete the test?
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 22nd Jul 14, 3:09 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    Thanks for posting. I was in the same situation as you and didn't even think about checking the new email address.
    Originally posted by stephs0801
    No problem.

Does anyone know when the deadline is to complete the test?
    Originally posted by stephs0801
    Mine doesn't say either. But as I'm planning to have it finished it by sometime tomorrow, I'm not really expecting to miss it, anyway.

Now.. A stupid question for anyone who's currently taking the test. You know how the answer box pops up, and you then have to press "submit" to get rid of it? Well, what is it you're supposed to do again when it somehow gets stuck, and keeps moving around the screen like crazy? I know you can press a certain key to release it, but can't remember which one. (Am presently on question 3, and can neither manage to click on the box, nor find a way to log out of the test.. )
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 22nd Jul 14, 3:37 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    Now.. A stupid question for anyone who's currently taking the test. You know how the answer box pops up, and you then have to press "submit" to get rid of it? Well, what is it you're supposed to do again when it somehow gets stuck, and keeps moving around the screen like crazy? I know you can press a certain key to release it, but can't remember which one. (Am presently on question 3, and can neither manage to click on the box, nor find a way to log out of the test.. )
    Originally posted by MallRat
    It's OK, I remembered. Right mouse button. About one minute after I emailed them asking for help.. Suppose I just panicked after finding myself stuck on the same page for about half an hour. Oops!
    • extraJam
    • By extraJam 22nd Jul 14, 10:41 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    extraJam
    Got my training email this morning too. Since there isn't a whole lot of substance in the GL but mostly a lot of examples, I'm tentatively doing some practice questions already. Learn by doing hopefully. Not bad on the score so far, room for improvement though.
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 23rd Jul 14, 12:25 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    Got my training email this morning too. Since there isn't a whole lot of substance in the GL but mostly a lot of examples, I'm tentatively doing some practice questions already. Learn by doing hopefully. Not bad on the score so far, room for improvement though.
    Originally posted by extraJam
    I managed to complete around a third of the questions. Think they took me at least 2 hours. (Not including the half hour I spent stuck on a single screen at the beginning ). So am expecting another 4 hours ahead of me tomorrow. Not sure if anyone else is keeping a record of how many they get right..? I decided not too, mainly because I thought it would just add extra stress. (Plus, you can't exactly do much to remedy the situation if you know you're getting too many wrong to pass..) The first session I did seemed to go fairly badly, anyway. Felt like I was only getting about 50% correct, so was kind of forced into stopping and taking a break. Second session then went a LOT better for some reason. Although a fair number of "incorrect" answers did start to creep in again towards the end..

Anyway, I see we've now been emailed with some extra tips. So, hopefully those may help us to get a couple of additional questions right.

I wonder if you get given a second chance if you fail to achieve the 60%?
    • extraJam
    • By extraJam 23rd Jul 14, 1:35 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    extraJam
    I would presume a second chance is given, as that seems common practice with the other companies. No guarantee though.

Going to stop for now and get some sleep, since my accuracy is probably on about 50/50 for the last few. So far I think there are some contradictions between the training examples and the guide examples but will see what a fresh start tomorrow brings.
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 23rd Jul 14, 10:47 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    So far I think there are some contradictions between the training examples and the guide examples but will see what a fresh start tomorrow brings.
    Yes, there's at least one example in the guidelines that clearly has the wrong rating still.
    • **Bex**
    • By **Bex** 23rd Jul 14, 2:24 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    **Bex**
    Does anyone know if you can do the internet search evaluator and transcription jobs at the same time with iSoftStone? I am kind of tempted to apply for both, but I don't want to ruin my chances of getting either!
    Has the feedback box disappeared on the training for anyone else?

Was working fine earlier, but just did a few of the queries from the training exercise, and upon clicking submit didn't receive any feedback to say whether or not I was correct, making the exercise a bit pointless.
    Actually ignore.. logged out and back in and all is working again.

Edit.. it is happening again.. first couple of queries I get feedback for, then it stops?
    Last edited by 271906; 23-07-2014 at 3:23 PM.
  • stephs0801
    Actually ignore.. logged out and back in and all is working again.

Edit.. it is happening again.. first couple of queries I get feedback for, then it stops?
    Same here. I'm answering two of the queries then returning to the dashboard and clicking 'start judging' again.

I'm also noticing some of the queries contradict the examples.
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 23rd Jul 14, 4:13 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    It's been like this for me all day. Have rated over 150 queries, and only saw a "correct answer" pop-up once.

I was actually more concerned by the fact that when I logged in this morning, my HitApps had gone back up to 229. Despite the fact that I already did around 80 of them yesterday. So, basically, I've had to do the entire lot again. Only 57 left to go now, though.. Assuming it hasn't reverted back to 229 AGAIN the next time I log in, of course. (Did email the project manager about this, BTW, but don't think he's got back to me yet.. Was also planning to mention the pop-up thing when I contact him again later to let him know I've finished).
    • extraJam
    • By extraJam 23rd Jul 14, 4:19 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    extraJam
    Huh, I've got the same thing too. I did a fair few yesterday and now I've got the same as you which I think is more than there were to begin with.

Edit: also no pop ups. Are you answers being logged in your reports?
    Last edited by extraJam; 23-07-2014 at 4:27 PM.
    My Report does seem to show that my judgments have been recorded as valid or invalid, but obviously without knowing what/why I got some wrong, it's impossible to learn from it.
  • Meggles86
    I have just joined MSE and have seen this thread. Is there another thread that someone can point me to so I can understand what these Jobs are for?? Many thanks
    • extraJam
    • By extraJam 23rd Jul 14, 5:23 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    extraJam
    Hi Meggles, it's hard to give too much detail in an open forum about what the job involves because of non-disclosure agreements, but basically you look at search results and 'judge' how well they meet user expectations. This is the job listing we all applied for: http://issworld.isoftstone.com/JobDescription/tabid/104/jobid/136/title/Search%20Engine%20Evaluator%20-%20United%20Kingdom/Default.aspx?language=en-US
    There are also three other companies, Lionbridge, Leapforce, and Appen Butler-Hill that offer similar positions.
    • MallRat
    • By MallRat 23rd Jul 14, 5:27 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    MallRat
    Huh, I've got the same thing too. I did a fair few yesterday and now I've got the same as you which I think is more than there were to begin with.

It seems to have logged everything I did on both days. So 308 in total. As I got 73% correct overall, I'm hoping this means I've passed?!

I have just joined MSE and have seen this thread. Is there another thread that someone can point me to so I can understand what these Jobs are for?? Many thanks
    Originally posted by Meggles86
    This is probably the main link you need. If you select UK as country, you can then click on the individual roles. (Assuming you're in the UK, of course.)
    • extraJam
    • By extraJam 23rd Jul 14, 7:13 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    extraJam
    What! Now I have double the queries again. This is really strange.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

324Posts Today

2,950Users online

Martin's Twitter