Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 1st Jun 10, 10:32 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Hello

I thought I would give you this feedback as I think it is very worrying and needs bringing to everyone's attention.

Last year I followed the advice here about renewing my car insurances and used go.compare first then moneysupermarket.com no problems got a good deal on both cars with gocompare. Thought no more of it and have used moneysupermarket.com in the past for other comparisons.

Yesterday on a totally unrelated matter I was checking for the first time my credit report and found a footprint had been left by an insurance company that a) I have had no dealings with and b) not made any applications to it appeared on my record although it related to my husband. This fingerprint was left last week.

Anyway I contacted the insurance company involved and after battling with front line reception staff was eventually put through to what I now know is one of the companies top troubleshooters. Cutting a long story short he rang me today to inform me that this fingerprint was generated by a Moneysupermarket.com search. Apparently if you run a search opting for the direct debit option some insurers do even at that point may leave a footprint on your credit file. Ok this may be old news to some BUT the point here is :-

I DID NOT RUN A SEARCH THIS YEAR WITH MONEYSUPERMARKET.COM they have done it themselves on checking my emails which I hadn't bothered to read until today I find they have send me one with the top 5 quotes in for renewal for this year. So they have kept my data for a year and used it to run a search on my behalf!!!! It was done exactly a month before renewal was due as well.

I'm furious and have made a complaint waiting to hear back from them. This for me raises a lot of issues and not least that the insurance companies would have given firm quotes based on the data provided how an earth would moneysupermarket.com know whether any important information had changed? Plus they have instigated changing my credit profile/footprint without any consent or permission from me whatsoever.

This really is serious mis-use of private data.

Incidentally go.compare have sent a reminder to use there site again, which is fair enough but to run a search on someone's behalf that is outrageous particularly when it leaves a credit footprint.

I very much doubt that I am the only person this has happened to and thought I would flag it up.
    Originally posted by mysterywoman10
    Hi mysterywoman10

The credit search is likely to be an unrecorded enquiry so can only be seen by you, not other lenders looking at your credit file. This what we say on it in our car and home insurance guides:

Some insurers also carry out a quick credit check when they provide you with a quote, yet this is almost always classed as an 'unrecorded enquiry' meaning it can only be seen by you and not other lenders.
    • Bibbitybob
    • By Bibbitybob 1st Jun 10, 11:41 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    Bibbitybob
    I used moneysupermarket.com to get buildings and contents insurance quotes. The cheapest was with magnet, however as I am moving house soon I decided to ring magnet directly to ask if there would be any penalty for leaving before the year was out.

The woman on the phone said that because I had the quote through moneysupermarket, and they pay moneysupermarket a £50 commission, I would be liable for that £50 plus an extra £20 from magnet. This is despite doing anything other than a quote - I haven't started a policy with them.

So I asked if I could have a new quote done over the phone and was told no, because once I've done a search with moneysupermarket there is a note on my address and postcode that the commission is due to moneysupermarket.

I'm fuming about this! I can understand magnet charging an admin fee, but I feel like I'm effectively 'blacklisted' with them now as they won't convert the insurance policy to landlord insurance, or move it to the new house either. It's very frustrating as they were by far the best quote and I think I'm just going to have to suck it up...I just wish I'd been aware of this 'clause'/'penalty'/'whatever you'd call it' before I did my search

• TheProf
    asking for passwords
    I have just had a similar problem on moneysupermarket, i went through all the fields, when it asked for a password I entered one and repeated it, but then I saw a message saying something was wrong and didn't match, so I repeated the process a couple of times, even using a different password. Then, I noticed a message in the toolbar asking me if I wanted to change my email account password.

Am I being paranoid, or are they trying to get access to my emails?

Smells bad to me, very bad. Beware.

Have emailed them to complain and told them to remove all my details, I just don't trust them any more. I have never seen this on any other site, insurance or other, what are they up to?
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 5th Jul 10, 11:09 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Hi TheProf

This sounds like you already have an account with MoneySupermarket but you'd entered the wrong password and it was asking you if you wanted to change your MoneySupermarket password, not your email password.

Please post here if you MoneySupermarket tell you something different.

Thanks. Wendy.
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 5th Jul 10, 3:52 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 346,823 Thanks
    slbhill
    you need to be careful with moneysupermarket because they don't ask all the questions that affect your price.

So they can appear the cheapest, but when you call the insurer to take out the policy they ask you the extra questions and the price goes up. Bit sneaky of moneysupermarket if you ask me
    Originally posted by IceHockeyHair

Ain't that the truth. I am very unimpressed - entered all my info for a home insurance quote and they came out cheapest with a quote from Bradford & Bingley, but when I clicked on the link to go for it & re-entered some of the details on the insurer's site the premium miraculously increased by almost 50%!

If they're going to make up the numbers then there is no point wasting time using them - I've had good results from comparison sites before but this has rather put me off.
  • andymanc
    more than a little peeeeeeved!
    Just used moneysupermarket.com (following Martin's tips on using the various comparison sites) and I am absolutely fuming - screaming obscenities at the screen

I now see I'm not the only one & a number of people have had similar problems with this major website having made a total hash of it.

I filled in 3 or 4 pages of information and then got to a page where I had to enter market value, and rebuild value, and total value of contents. Despite following their instructions, checking, clearing, retyping, trying different figures, etc - it just kept telling me I was wrong!!!

Ok I though, I'll save all the info I've entered & reopen the site in Internet Explorer (I'm using the latest Opera) & then retrieve what I've saved.

But that would be too easy - no way was it going to let me!

It said I was using the wrong password. I was fairly sure I hadn't ever given them a password, but I thought, ok, I'll reset the password - which I did. I entered the new password

And, I'm sure you've guessed it - it still said the password was wrong

hmmm - no smiley for bashing your head against a brick wall Martin?

The phrase that springs to mind in describing moneysupermarket.com involves what they couldn't organise & a brewery
    • GreenMan
    • By GreenMan 16th Sep 10, 1:40 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    GreenMan
    Can anyone tell me where the marketing opt out for Moneysupermarket is?- I didn't see any reference to the 'getting back to you' section anywhere.

Thank you.
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 21st Sep 10, 12:56 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    It's changed to 'getting back your quotes' GreenMan - it's at the end of page 2.
  • jaydax
    Great! A better policy for less.
    using Go-compare I got a better policy at less than half the cost. Well worth a visit.
  • jem71
    I saved £250 with Tesco via moneysupermarket.com
    After a recent car accident and a replacement windscreen, I had almost given up hope of a cheap car insurance renewal. But after reading Martin's guide I decided to give it a try... All of the other comparison sights gave me a best deal of £650.

But moneysupermarket.com asked if I had a Tesco clubcard and so I put the clubcard number in and hey presto!, I was offered fully comprehensive, protected no claims discount and business insurance for a massive £250 cheaper than the nearest price offered. I paid the £400 upfront so that I don't incur a higher monthly premium. I am very happy with the saving. I would recommend you do give them a go, especially if every other comparison sight has given you high quotes.

if I had wings I would not need to buy so many shoes...
  • Mav4291
    Use Comparisons, but also get a re-quote from existing insurer
    I just did comparisons using GoCompare and MoneySupermarket sites.
    GoCompare gave quotes from £717 to £3106.
    MoneySupermarket gave from £597 to £3951, with one at an amazing £23,577.51p WOW

My existing renewal from Direct line was £382. I did a new quote from them and this came down to £339.

Don't assume your existing insurer's renewal is the best they'll do. I've got my costs down twice just by asking for a new quote these past two years.
  • kathsj
    Wasted time Money Supermarket
    Money supermarket did not recognise my house number and postcode. There is no facility to type in your own address. For me using the website is a total waste of time. Unfortunately this company does not realise how difficult it is to get custom and how easy it is to lose it. I will never bother with them again.
  • Shadow2198
    It's changed to 'getting back your quotes' GreenMan - it's at the end of page 2.
    Originally posted by MSE Wendy
    Can anyone tell me where the marketing opt out for Moneysupermarket is? MSE Wendy I don't see this option?
  • stevefj
    Can anyone tell me where the marketing opt out for Moneysupermarket is? MSE Wendy I don't see this option?
    Originally posted by Shadow2198
    Just tried to use Moneysupermarket and bailed out when could find NO trace of a personal details opt out - mentioned in t&cs and privacy document, but just don't tell you where it is on the site, scrolled up and down pages nada, nothing nowt UTTERLY USELESS won't be using that site ever again!!!!!
  • RaceyRichard
    Poor search results
    Not sure why but after searching earlier in the month and today all it seems to come up with is 10 results..the cheapest being a good few hundred more than my renewal!

I do not consider having special insurance needs and in the past have managed to use the site to get better results.

Wonder what is going on??

Right off to the next engine
    • cc120
    • By cc120 16th Nov 12, 3:58 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    cc120
    Moneysupermarket.com & ovo energy
    Switched to ovo energy via moneysupermarket.com. No expected welcome email from ovo energy after over a week. Moneysupermarket assured everything OK. After 10 days, still no welcome email from ovo energy. Contacted ovo energy who found no evidence of my application via moneysupermarket, but assured me that they would ensure I still receive money back offer of £30 for dual switch via moneysupermarket after ovo energy sort out the mix up. However, after finally receiving welcome pack from ovo energy was informed by ovo that I would have to contact moneysupermarket to find out about the possibilities of receiving the discount. As well as this, was to be charged £30 pounds more per month than I usually pay for gas and electric, so cancelled within my cool off period. Via gocompare am now switching to first utility.
  • airbus330
    I have just rang MS and asked them to remove me from their database after being rung by a load of aggressive insurance salesmen after getting a new motor quote.
    I made the mistake of downloading the MS App which had a hidden set of terms and conditions. Unintentiionally, I let the telemarketers into my life because MS think it is cool to bury the option to not be called somewhere less than obvious.
    Well, that's about 2k of business they lost this year. And I'll probably be getting a free meerkat!
  • Remzi
    MoneySupermarket = Epic Fail
    Trying lots of different sites for this years car insurance quotes. In the order as recommended on the compare-cheap-car-insurance page of this site (sorry, not allowed to insert links yet, as a new member)... Moneysupermarket first.

Moneysupermarket has proved to be a pain yet again , (as per previous years). Sure it provides very low quotes but I highly recommend carefully checking all quotes on the insurers website as I've always found that they fail to get the correct info needed to provide an accurate quote.
    I jumped for joy at a quote of £255 as compared to my renewal of £500 but after checking, the corrected quote was actually £1,500. Quite a big difference don't you think?

In conclusion, Moneysupermarket is a bit of a waste of time for me but as it's very quick to get a quote, there's no harm in trying but a word of warning, check your quote very carefully otherwise you might find yourself uninsured.
    • targaid
    • By targaid 20th Jan 13, 1:45 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    targaid
    Where do they hide the opt-out for direct marketing clls? MSE says it's hard to find in the article but don't say where it is (a modification needed to the text there, folks). I can usually find these things but cannot get locate it here.
  • Bh2_guy
    Well, I am impressed and somewhat surprised but it really works. I previously got quotes from Parkers Compare and Go Compare and cheapest quote I could get was £500.

Through Tesco its £300 :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

8,066Users online

Martin's Twitter